Am I the only one that thinks the earpiece volume of iPhone 6 is too low??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 100, Oct 11, 2014.

1. 100 macrumors member

Whenever I talk to someone I need to put it at the highest volume and I still sometimes have trouble hearing the other person even then. Any of you run into this issue with the new iPhone 6? Also I feel as if the earpiece isn't as clear as before, conversations sound muffled at times.

Thoughts??

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Of course it can depend on network connection but if you do feel it's a possible fault then seek help from the Apple Genius bar to have a diagnostic run.

3. 100 thread starter macrumors member

4. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Couldn't possibly be a problem with the iPhone 6. I think the people you talk with are talking wrong. Tell them that.

Sorry for the sarcastic response. Unless they sound abnormally quiet, I don't think there's anything mechanically wrong with your phone. It's just designed that way. Dumb question, but the earpiece isn't covered with anything (screen protector, lint), right?

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Go clean out all that earwax! :p

On a more serious note: OP have you tried a bluetooth headset while on the same call to compare sound quality and if it's really the earpiece speaker or the connection (or lack thereof) the other person has?

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

This is going to sound insane, but if you are holding it in the same position that you used to hold your 5 in, mouthpiece wise, then the earpiece is no longer in the optimum position, since the phone is longer. Once I realized this and adjusted the top of the phone to hit where the ear canal lies, problem solved.

7. maliu macrumors 6502a

I have to turn my volume down or it echos. Found this out through trial and error.

8. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I keep my ear speaker volume lower than my 4S. So...no.

9. jlp2979 macrumors 6502a

I feel that my 6 earpiece volume is very loud actually. During calls I never have it more than 50% volume.

10. 100 thread starter macrumors member

There is nothing covering my ear piece, the speaker phone sounds loud; the ear piece not so much. Even at the highest setting. I am also using the apple leather case so the case doesn't block it either. It is frustrating at time. I don't think it is signal strength I always have around 3-5 bars of ATT LTE in 90% of where I am.

11. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Maybe you're just losing your hearing.

I'm not being sarcastic, either.
    Just throwing the idea out there.

12. BurntReality macrumors 6502

BurntReality

I would venture to bet this is the problem.
    I had this problem with my 6 plus and realized I wasn't aligning it properly over my ear.

13. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I have the Plus and have also found the hearing volume very low. I usually use my phone hands free in the car or with earphones. So I can't really compare between my old 5 and the new Plus. However, the Plus when using it to my ear is really low. Even with it turned all the way up, it's low. If I move it around and position it just right, I can hear okay. But I definitely notice it being noticeably lower.

14. 100 thread starter macrumors member

My glad someone else here agrees with me. To the others: I don't think I am losing my hearing, I'm only 27! My previous phone LG G2 was heard loud and clear in regard to phone calls.

15. TheUnforgiven macrumors member

I have this problem too on my 6+.

Even my mom has it on her 6.

Apple will probably do something about it in future updates. iOS 8 is nothing but trouble :/

16. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I thought it was just me as most of the time I put it on speaker. There are, however, times that it sounds just fine.

So I've been second guessing myself for a few weeks now.

17. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

Sometimes it does seem slightly lower than my 5s

18. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Same issue here. On my 6+ volume is low.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had this issue on other phones, I think its not a design issue, but rather it occurs on some phones, and if yours is doing it. You're best bet is to get it exchanged.

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

My 6 earpiece volume has been maxed from day one and has always been harder to hear than my 5S.

I would return but the Aplle store is still a madhouse and I doubt they have a 6 to replace mine.

21. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

22. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

6plus and I am an audio engineer I agree the volume is much lower than my iPhone 4s. I even had a life proof case on that. Which does affect volume. I want to put a life proof on my 6plus but I'm concerned it's going to be so low it would drive me crazy. I need a waterproof case as I fish a lot and am on my boat every weekend. But I agree with the op

23. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

The volume on my 6 is definitely louder than my old 5S.

24. 100 thread starter macrumors member

This discussion is very interesting as first I believed it was just my phone and now with the recent posts in this topic it may be a minor defect from some phones. I hope an update does fix it. Do your iPhone 6's do it all the time is it intermittent?

25. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Mine has been constant low volume compared to my other iPhones.