Am I the only one who is annoyed that there won't be a "small" iPhone 8?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bladery, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Bladery macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Recent reportings over the past few months always say that there will be an iPhone 8 - but just a 5.5 or bigger version.
    There will be an additional version (the 7s) which also includes the "small" iPhone (4.7).

But what the heck is wrong with Apple? I don't want to buy a bigger phone just to get upgrades!

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Those are all rumors at this point. It's too early to tell.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

This seems to be Apple's plan.

I love the big iPhones so BRING IT ON!!!

4. Bladery thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually you're right but it's already February and there a quite a few reports from different sources saying that.

I don't know that Apple thinks... it's ridiculous.

5. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

Yes, I believe you are the only one. Bigger IS better. :)

6. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

My GF is definitely miffed by the growing phones. She's 4'11" and just tiny in every way.

Her using my 7+ looks like a normal person with an iPad mini.

7. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

My hope is they are able to make the "premium" version with the larger screen in a smaller form factor then the current plus models with smaller bezels and such. I would be really disappointed if it was the same size as that would definitely stop me from buying it.

8. bufffilm, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The most profit lies in the bigger phones. And the larger size is a natural for more features.

Yes, it sucks that the smaller phone doesnt get the same features, but nothing to do about it.

But even though the Plus size has grown in popularity, the smaller phone still has the lions share in sales (for now).

I won't move up in size and if Apple really wants to neglect the smaller phone owners, that might be unwise.

Don't stress over it.

9. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

It's ridiculous to get worked up about something that might not even be true.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

There willl always be conflicting reports and a lot of them . Wait until May and June gets here, then you'll see a lot more than what we have now. Also, none of these reports/rumors mean anything until September. It's just a matter what you choose to believe.

11. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

And i believe this is a "S" year which means some minor upgrades under the hood

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I get it. That's perfectly fine you believe that. But, do You have tell me that in every single iPhone thread? Do you have anything else to contribute besides you think it will be an "S" year?

13. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

Well, if the rumours are through and it will be an almost bezelless phone, the iPhone 8 will be smaller than the iPhone 7 Plus even though it has a slightly larger screen.

14. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Technically and generally speaking the 's' versions are often the bigger upgrades under the hood (while the non-'s' versions are the bigger upgrades/changes to design itself).

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The more I think about this, the more certain I am that the mystery phone won't be called the ip8.

Next year, oled will be rolled out to the rest of the line (the 7s/+) and that will be called the ip8.

16. ericwn macrumors 68000

It looks like a S version is coming this year, in my opinion. Once we start seeing component leaks that suggest otherwise, great, but for the moment I wouldn't get too worked up with the speculations going around.

17. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I think it's my responsibility to inform you that :D in every iPhone 7S vs iPhone 8 thread

18. Relentless Power, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Macrumors quote from today's article. Then I need to inform you of the latest rumors, which consistently indicate change is possibly coming. And I posted the link for your reading convenience. Just wait it for it Sunny. Enjoy.

"Kuo said wireless charging increases the internal temperature of smartphones, so he expects the rumored iPhone 8 with an OLED display and glass casing to have a new 3D Touch module with "additional graphite sheet lamination" in order to prevent the device from malfunctioning due to overheating."

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...re-wireless-charging-this-year.2031887/page-2

19. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

I think there's a chance that the device size of the 5.8" screen could be close to the device size of the current 4.7" iPhone 7. It may be a tiny bit wider, but likely not taller.

20. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I will be sad but I will not get it. I'm growing to dislike the 7+ I have. I'm really thinking the 6s was a perfect size for me. The extra RAM and better camera have not at all been worth it to me personally. I wanted the best but I'm starting to feel that it's just not comfortable for my small hands. The weight is fine, it's just imagining holding a device this big with less bezel is a very uncomfortable aspect.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

My guess is 4.7 and 5.0 in aluminum. And the Plus will be in 5.8 in Stainless/glass with OLED.

22. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Would you get it?

23. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I have owned Plus model for over two years with the 6s Plus/7Plus. I quickly adjusted to the size and the extra features are a nice advantages with the Plus model. Apple is definitely investing their latest technology into the Plus model for profit margins, which hurts the 4.7 crowd.

That said, I wouldn't go back to any model under the Plus model. If the new Plus model offers A revamped chassis with changes to the screen (OLED, reduced bezels, integrated home button), Then I will upgrade. I think this will be the year we see some much needed changes to iPhone after three generations of the same design. I also upgrade annually. It's highly likely I will upgrade in September.

24. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

Uh, pretty much

25. Swisspo macrumors 6502

Swisspo

With the amount of success the 7 Plus model is having right now, Apple knows where the money is at. I've been with the 5.5'' model since the 6 Plus release, and I just couldn't see myself going back to a smaller phone now, even if the phones were specced identically.