Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon on Thursday announced two new unlimited cloud storage plans for Amazon Cloud Drive, enabling users to store an endless amount of photos, videos, movies, music, and files. Amazon users can choose either the Unlimited Photos Plan for $11.99 per year or the Unlimited Everything Plan for $59.99 per year, with a free three-month trial available for each plan for customers that want to try the service.

Amazon-Cloud-Drive-800x376.png
The lower-tier Unlimited Photos Plan allows for an unlimited number of photos to be stored on Amazon Cloud Drive, alongside up to 5GB of additional storage for videos, documents and other files. The more expensive Unlimited Everything Plan allows for unlimited storage of photos, videos, files, documents, movies and music with no restrictions. Amazon Prime members are already provided with an Unlimited Photos Plan at no additional cost.
"Most people have a lifetime of birthdays, vacations, holidays, and everyday moments stored across numerous devices. And, they don't know how many gigabytes of storage they need to back all of them up," said Josh Petersen, Director of Amazon Cloud Drive. "With the two new plans we are introducing today, customers don't need to worry about storage space--they now have an affordable, secure solution to store unlimited amounts of photos, videos, movies, music, and files in one convenient place."
The addition of unlimited cloud storage makes Amazon Cloud Drive a more competitive alternative to other cloud storage services such as iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive and Dropbox. Apple does not offer unlimited iCloud storage, providing customers with tiered storage options of 20GB, 200GB, 500GB or 1TB for between $0.99 and $19.99 per month. Google and Microsoft also have capped storage plans, while Dropbox offers unlimited storage to business customers only.

Article Link: Amazon Cloud Drive Now Includes Unlimited Cloud Storage Plans

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This is a new move for Amazon.

Why not just include it in Prime and increase the price of Prime? That's been your mojo prior to this.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
What? This sounds too good to be true!! And I'm assuming Amazon maintains my original full size image files, unlike Google+ ??

Signing up now! :cool:

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
If Apple made Music Match to 50,000 tracks, then I would not be thinking about alternatives to it, like this.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
I didn't know I get the photo storage with my Amazon prime membership. I'll definitely take advantage of that. $59 a year for everything is a heck of a deal!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
and here we are getting 5GB of free storage to backup a phone that cost us like 800+ bucks.

I've been using amazon Flickr and dropbox to back up my photos. works like a charm. iCloud Photo is too confusing and expensive

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I know Amazon and Apple have different business models but Apple should get their storage tiers to 2015 standards: 10GB of free storage for iCloud and no 16GB flagship devices.

The 5GB of storage we got was back in 2011 and we didn't have Retina iPads/Macs or 240fps slow-motion video. Times & devices have changed but not Apple's cloud storage.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This is a new move for Amazon.

Why not just include it in Prime and increase the price of Prime? That's been your mojo prior to this.

$12/year 5GB plan (with unlimited photos) is included for free on Amazon Prime. As far as I can tell, no discount for upgrading to $60/year unlimited plan.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Being on the beta program, I signed up for the 200gig/$3.99 per month deal from Apple. This allows me to migrate all my photos (13k) into the new Photo App. all my music was already in icloud thanks to the $25 music match (all 17k songs). With all my documents and movies now also on icloud, I am in good shape.

This Amazon deal would be amazing if it worked with Music Match and Photos, but since it doesn't, I can only hope that Apple get's it together. I mean, why two different bills. For the $3.99 at least throw in music match so I only pay once. And then the pricing tiers needs to improve a little (okay a lot).

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
and here we are getting 5GB of free storage to backup a phone that cost us like 800+ bucks.

I've been using amazon Flickr and dropbox to back up my photos. works like a charm. iCloud Photo is too confusing and expensive

yeah, given you pay more for each storage size of the phone, you should get enough space to back up the phone's drive with each purchase.

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
I seriously wish Apple would use their billions of nanodollars and just offer free unlimited online storage already. The longer they hold out the more chance people will migrate away from their photo ecosystem.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Nice. Another move by Amazon that is not intended to create actual current profit. But they will continue to corner the market in giving stuff away at large scale.

Thermonuclear

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2009
What prevents...

What prevents malefactors from storing millions of large data files for free, each cleverly wrapped in some image format?

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
Unlimited?

'Unlimited' storage? Challenge accepted.

Hope this isn't like my 'Unlimited' bandwidth at my hosting provider or 'Unlimited' data my ISP promises.

Nothing is really 'Unlimited'...

darknyt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
$12/year 5GB plan (with unlimited photos) is included for free on Amazon Prime. As far as I can tell, no discount for upgrading to $60/year unlimited plan.

Yeah, the problem is videos. I've been doing the photos for a while and even using their lousy web browser to add old iPhoto events to Amazon cloud since it's free. I'm only up to 55gbs uploaded for photos, 350 to go.

But I bumped up to the 20 (I guess 20+5) but it will run out quick. My iPhoto library is probably close to 400gb and more and more of that is become videos.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I know Amazon and Apple have different business models but Apple should get their storage tiers to 2015 standards: 10GB of free storage for iCloud and no 16GB flagship devices.

The 5GB of storage we got was back in 2011 and we didn't have Retina iPads/Macs or 240fps slow-motion video. Times & devices have changed but not Apple's cloud storage.

Actually, the 16GB is perfect for Corporate buys. Employer-provided phones are a huge piece of Apple's business.

jssquared

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
Question on Photos video storage. Do the videos need to be imported into photos to be automatically uploaded and synced across devices or can they uploaded directly from a saved file (.mp4)?
Also, I think Apple needs to up the maximum storage when they release photos for mac out of beta. Between photos and videos I will get close to max storage already.
Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.