Amazon Cloud Drive Now Includes Unlimited Cloud Storage Plans

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 26, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon on Thursday announced two new unlimited cloud storage plans for Amazon Cloud Drive, enabling users to store an endless amount of photos, videos, movies, music, and files. Amazon users can choose either the Unlimited Photos Plan for $11.99 per year or the Unlimited Everything Plan for $59.99 per year, with a free three-month trial available for each plan for customers that want to try the service.

[​IMG]
    The lower-tier Unlimited Photos Plan allows for an unlimited number of photos to be stored on Amazon Cloud Drive, alongside up to 5GB of additional storage for videos, documents and other files. The more expensive Unlimited Everything Plan allows for unlimited storage of photos, videos, files, documents, movies and music with no restrictions. Amazon Prime members are already provided with an Unlimited Photos Plan at no additional cost.
    The addition of unlimited cloud storage makes Amazon Cloud Drive a more competitive alternative to other cloud storage services such as iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive and Dropbox. Apple does not offer unlimited iCloud storage, providing customers with tiered storage options of 20GB, 200GB, 500GB or 1TB for between $0.99 and $19.99 per month. Google and Microsoft also have capped storage plans, while Dropbox offers unlimited storage to business customers only.

Article Link: Amazon Cloud Drive Now Includes Unlimited Cloud Storage Plans

2. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

This is a new move for Amazon.

Why not just include it in Prime and increase the price of Prime? That's been your mojo prior to this.

3. MacVault macrumors 65816

What? This sounds too good to be true!! And I'm assuming Amazon maintains my original full size image files, unlike Google+ ??

Signing up now! :cool:

4. vladobizik macrumors 6502

Wow. And I just paid for a year of Dropbox Pro.:eek:

5. rctlr macrumors 6502a

If Apple made Music Match to 50,000 tracks, then I would not be thinking about alternatives to it, like this.

6. chukronos macrumors 6502

I didn't know I get the photo storage with my Amazon prime membership. I'll definitely take advantage of that. $59 a year for everything is a heck of a deal!

7. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Should already be included with the current price.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

I'll take advantage of this. I'm a prime member and didn't know about this. :)

9. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Competition in distant (off site), large-to-unlimited storage is only a good thing. Hopefully the others respond and we find our way to:
    -"time machine"-like options,
    -with the safety of being truly off-site,
    -by reliable players,
    -for relatively cheap rates.

10. bushido Suspended

bushido

and here we are getting 5GB of free storage to backup a phone that cost us like 800+ bucks.

I've been using amazon Flickr and dropbox to back up my photos. works like a charm. iCloud Photo is too confusing and expensive

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I know Amazon and Apple have different business models but Apple should get their storage tiers to 2015 standards: 10GB of free storage for iCloud and no 16GB flagship devices.

The 5GB of storage we got was back in 2011 and we didn't have Retina iPads/Macs or 240fps slow-motion video. Times & devices have changed but not Apple's cloud storage.

12. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

suddenly prime has a value for me...apple...any response?

13. nutmac macrumors 601

$12/year 5GB plan (with unlimited photos) is included for free on Amazon Prime. As far as I can tell, no discount for upgrading to $60/year unlimited plan.

14. 2457282 Suspended

Being on the beta program, I signed up for the 200gig/$3.99 per month deal from Apple. This allows me to migrate all my photos (13k) into the new Photo App. all my music was already in icloud thanks to the $25 music match (all 17k songs). With all my documents and movies now also on icloud, I am in good shape.

This Amazon deal would be amazing if it worked with Music Match and Photos, but since it doesn't, I can only hope that Apple get's it together. I mean, why two different bills. For the $3.99 at least throw in music match so I only pay once. And then the pricing tiers needs to improve a little (okay a lot).

15. happydude macrumors 65816

happydude

yeah, given you pay more for each storage size of the phone, you should get enough space to back up the phone's drive with each purchase.

16. erinsarah macrumors 6502

I seriously wish Apple would use their billions of nanodollars and just offer free unlimited online storage already. The longer they hold out the more chance people will migrate away from their photo ecosystem.

17. TallManNY macrumors 601

TallManNY

Nice. Another move by Amazon that is not intended to create actual current profit. But they will continue to corner the market in giving stuff away at large scale.

18. Thermonuclear macrumors 6502

What prevents...

What prevents malefactors from storing millions of large data files for free, each cleverly wrapped in some image format?

19. keifer.street macrumors regular

Unlimited?

'Unlimited' storage? Challenge accepted.

Hope this isn't like my 'Unlimited' bandwidth at my hosting provider or 'Unlimited' data my ISP promises.

Nothing is really 'Unlimited'...

20. darknyt macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the problem is videos. I've been doing the photos for a while and even using their lousy web browser to add old iPhoto events to Amazon cloud since it's free. I'm only up to 55gbs uploaded for photos, 350 to go.

But I bumped up to the 20 (I guess 20+5) but it will run out quick. My iPhoto library is probably close to 400gb and more and more of that is become videos.

21. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Actually, the 16GB is perfect for Corporate buys. Employer-provided phones are a huge piece of Apple's business.

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

23. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Meanwhile, over the pond...

Popular Plans
    5 GB Free
    20 GB £6 / year
    50 GB £16 / year
    Other Options
    100 GB £32 / year
    200 GB £64 / year
    500 GB £160 / year
    1000 GB £320 / year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/pricing?ref_=cd_home_plans_pricing

I can sort of understand why some things are US only, because of music licensing etc, but why this?

24. jssquared macrumors newbie

Question on Photos video storage. Do the videos need to be imported into photos to be automatically uploaded and synced across devices or can they uploaded directly from a saved file (.mp4)?
    Also, I think Apple needs to up the maximum storage when they release photos for mac out of beta. Between photos and videos I will get close to max storage already.
    Thanks for the help.

25. ipodanthony macrumors newbie

Still waiting for that day as well