Amazon is Reportedly Readying a New Messaging Platform Called 'Anytime'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon is reportedly working on bringing a new mobile messaging platform to the table, according to customer survey details obtained by AFTVnews.

The chat service for iOS, Android, and desktop is said to be called "Anytime" and will include typical messaging features like encryption, video and voice calling, but with some novel touches added to the mix that suggest social network-style aspirations for the app.

[​IMG]

For example, it looks as if Anytime users will only need to use a name - as opposed to a phone number, a la WhatsApp - to link themselves and invite others to the service, although its not entirely clear how this will work. There's also talk of Twitter-like @ mentions to involve users in conversation threads or to share photos.

Elsewhere in Amazon's customer survey information are references to additional features such as the ability to color code conversations, play games, order food together, split a bill, location sharing, and group music listening. Users will also apparently be able to chat with businesses through the service, make reservations, check on orders, and even shop, with sensitive content like bank details protected by encryption.

It's possible Anytime will be powered by Chime, Amazon's chat service for enterprise users that it launched earlier in the year. There's also potential scope for Alexa integration - given that the company recently launched messaging and calling features for Alexa devices, it could benefit from separating out these functions in a separate app.

There's no word on when the Anytime service might launch, but Amazon will have to show it can offer something genuinely fresh and appealing if it expects to convince longtime users of rival platforms like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger to jump ship.

Whatever its plans, Amazon clearly isn't resting on its laurels in the hardware and connected services spaces. Earlier this week it emerged that Amazon is actively developing a redesigned Echo speaker to compete with Apple's forthcoming HomePod. Both smart devices are expected to launch later this year.

Article Link: Amazon is Reportedly Readying a New Messaging Platform Called 'Anytime'

2. X--X macrumors 6502

I love that they literally just took Apples Messages icon and flipped it.

3. willed macrumors newbie

Just what we need... another messaging ecosystem.

4. sol33t macrumors newbie

sol33t

Until a year later, they decide to insert ads and other "features" designed to mine data from their customers.

5. MyopiaRocks macrumors newbie

Makes sense: they'll bake this into the hardware they're selling so people can call each other (plus offer apps for ios and android).

6. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

7. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

This seems this will be more likely more in tune with the new Amazon echo show. Being this has capabilities with text messages and video chat to connect you to friends and family members. Especially with having a display for FaceTime like calls.

8. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

and took wechat's color scheme

9. JosephAW macrumors 65816

JosephAW

This would be a good time for Apple to release iMessage for non-apple devices.

10. X--X macrumors 6502

No they just took the icon from macOS and the color from iOS.

11. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

12. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

The last thing I need is yet another IM app to juggle with all of the other closed-off apps.

It would be amazing if something like Adium was able to support them all. But nope. The big companies are too stubborn to open up. Facebook Messenger even used to be compatible with Jabber until they went out of their way and killed that off (and killed any interest of mine in Facebook)

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's a good time for Apple to do a lot of things, but I think TC and co. reside in Apple world, far far away, and the competition looks so tiny from up there.

14. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I just don't understand why WhatsApp doesn't incorporate SMS into its app. It'd then be almost perfect.

15. adamneer macrumors 6502

What the hell kind of sentence is "Everyone you message, all with one app"?

16. MachCrit macrumors member

MachCrit

Amazon, Google, Facebook. When does the government step in to stop them from killing millions of jobs and taking over the world? ;)

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Does the average person really use multiple message apps? I am sure it is more common with android, but IOS is probably like 99% iMessage.

18. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

People still use facebook and Skype, there's Snapchat and Instagram, and I'm personally on Steam and Discord

None of those are compatible with each other or iMessages, and I definitely don't expect any of them to be compatible with Amazon's new thing

The great thing about compatibility is you don't need multiple apps to talk to different friends on different networks. If half of your friends use Snapchat and the other use Discord, you need two apps to talk to all of them. Compounded further the more fragmented your number of friends gets.

19. hybroid macrumors regular

hybroid

iMessage and Whatsapp for most of the world. Some Asian countries have their own ones. Rest is all niche apps.

20. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

"A one stop shop consumer experience. You're chatting with your friends, you're talking about the latest music, about the election; all of it is happening in our virtual paper store."

21. Saipher macrumors regular

Saipher

Agreed, iMessage and WhatsApp are the only messaging apps one really needs. It would be nice if iMessage was released to Android, then it would be all you really needed, but I guess that will never happen due to safety concerns.

22. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

wechat's brand is more pronounced with the colors white and green.

23. lazyrighteye macrumors 68000

lazyrighteye

Agree - tho I do wonder why nonApple users would want/need Messages? It's a way different deal than, say, iTunes for Windows (or something). Unless, of course, if Apple's peer-to-peer payment concept is implementable via Messages. That could be handy.

24. glowplug, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

glowplug macrumors newbie

Apple didn't want to bring iMessage to Android, and now they're about to lose 1st place in the messaging world.

25. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Hmm. From where I stand, Skype is the only thing that I actually have to use.