Amazon is Reportedly Readying a New Messaging Platform Called 'Anytime'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2017.

1. thatJohann macrumors 65816

thatJohann

I’m so over messaging apps. iMessage is enough. Just needs to be prettier and compatible with Android.

2. CarlJ, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

FWIW, multi-touch is absolutely not a gimmick on macOS. I use it constantly and effortlessly, it's just second nature (two finger scrolling, three fingers to swipe between spaces, three-finger-and-thumb unpinch/pinch to show/hide the desktop, three finger swipe up to see all your windows). I'd be very unhappy without all that.

3. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Oh, I 100% agree. My reply to that point was meant to be a little sarcastic, as to say, if it's such a "gimmick" why are nearly all laptops now using multi-touch. It makes the user experience, effortless, as you pointed out.

4. hotgril Suspended

hotgril

But was it ever down from accidentally dragging selected text into a terminal window (why the **** is that even a feature??) and having it execute tons of random commands? Yep, that's how I deleted my home directory.

5. Zirel Suspended

Zirel

They aren’t 1st place, never where.

And then???? Apple doesn’t need to have a lot of users to data mine and sell ads, they don’t sell user data or put ads

6. adamneer macrumors 6502

Well in my case, I still pay $20/month for unlimited texting and mobile-mobile calls. But that's because I'm still on a grandfathered unlimited data plan...

7. Sharkoneau macrumors 6502a

Sharkoneau

To be fair, consider McDonald's. Half the time the McFlurry machine is "down." I myself don't own the proper equipment to make my own McFlurry. But I know damn well that machine better be (and likely is) running.

8. AJ5790 macrumors 6502

Almost as if it’s not genuine...

9. canadianreader macrumors 6502a

canadianreader

10. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Let's see... As an iOS user, I use these messaging apps daily:

- iMessage/SMS
    - WhatsApp
    - Hangouts

I use these messaging apps multiple times a week:

- Steam
    - Facebook Messenger
    - Discord
    Then there is the seldom used Snapchat. So, I guess my point is that I consider myself to be an average person (and below-average social media user) and yet I still have to contend with many of these messaging apps on a daily basis.

11. Jsameds macrumors 68040

12. sflagel macrumors newbie

Most importantly, iMessage reverts to SMS when the other person is travelling internationally and is not roaming due to the ridiculously high roaming charges (or throttles).

13. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Attached Files:

14. Killa Aaron macrumors 6502

Killa Aaron

Why? I guess amazon forgot about their failed phone project.

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, Actually what I wrote - and intended - was more in the tune of Apple could do better. But you go ahead and believe what you want to believe I wrote if it makes you feel better -- even when the author says it's the wrong reading.

16. JRobinsonJr macrumors 6502a

I'll second that! iMessage is GREAT on the  platforms but totally unnecessary elsewhere. Let those other companies take care of themselves then use SMS as the lowest-common-denominator between platforms.

That said, there are a couple of great reasons for having an iMessage - or iMessage-like - app on other platforms.

1. I can read/send messages from my Mac. My SO uses Windows and it would be really nice if she could have the same net capabilities. Doesn't have to be iMessage... but it should be SomeMessagingApp. The link between ONLINE messaging apps and SMS is key here.

2. Long iMessages are send between  users so that the message is displayed in logical order. Converting to SMS frequently results in a set of smaller messages requiring the reader to figure out what order to read them. Annoying... and yet another great reason for a smarter local app.

I suggest that what we need is not so much another platform but a different lowest-common-denominator standard that is more robust than SMS.

17. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about... I use it like, every day, to send my wife links on Facebook. Then "yell" at her to stop replying to me in it (ie, I ignore her and reply to her replies in iMessage).

18. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

I really want to know why so many companies are fighting over messaging apps. They give them out for free and there are no ads. Facebook bought WhatsApp for $20B and the service is free with no ads.

Something fishy here.

19. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Great. Just what we all need. ANOTHER messaging app.

I use iMessage for 99% of my texting with friends/family. I have WhatsApp as well, but I really only use that for large group chats where there are a mix of iOS and Android users.

20. jsavvy macrumors member

jsavvy

Interesting. I'm wondering what the specifics are for security. I think I'd rather just pay a dollar a year for a cross platform (iOS/android/macOS/Windows/Linux) service that is not Facebook or rely on a phone number.

21. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This is just gonna be another failed attempt. The messaging game is over and iMessage and WhatsApp have won it.

22. BigMcGuire Contributor

Finally, I've met someone else who actually used this! I am not alone! For Windows I used Pidgin a lot for all my messengers. I thought it was going to become "the thing" - nope. Now very few people I know have heard of either. :(

Yeah they're making billions selling personal info for $ is my guess. If Google can make billions having bots read our emails and our browsing habits... think about mining chats. I don't really know tho... if that was the case why did Google abandon Hangouts and go for Allo/Duo?

Another complaint I have - why is there no support for desktop apps? I use a Windows machine for most of the day. It would be nice not to have to pick up my phone every time my wife, friend, family, etc... contact me. So we use Telegram.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2017 ---
    Yeah that about summarizes it for me. I use Hangouts, Whatsapp, iMessage, Telegram, and sometimes FB Messenger. School uses Discord.

Kinda sick of it but grown used to it.

23. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

There was a website called meebo.com that you login and you had a messenger as a tab in the browser and you can communicate with all other IM's. It was bought by Google.

24. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I used meebo back in the days.