Amazon is Reportedly Readying a New Messaging Platform Called 'Anytime'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2017.

1. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

they already did long ago to whatsapp

2. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

Not like Apple's marketing is better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. FelixDerKater macrumors 68030

FelixDerKater

They have so many good ideas, but someone else can always put it together in a nicer package.

4. groovyd, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

groovyd Suspended

groovyd

I hate how in today's technology everyone has to copy what everyone else is doing all the time.

5. Erdbeertorte Suspended

Almost everyone here is only using WhatsApp and won't ever change. Also the iPhone users, most aren't even aware that the Messages App is for anything else than sending SMS and MMS.

I always hated and boycotted it, don't no exactly why. Might be because of security reasons at first and later because FaceBook (what I also never liked and used) purchased it or just because I don't want to be like everyone else. Also there was no desktop client and still isn't a real one.

At least I had no problem to convince all my contacts to install Telegram in addition, what seems to be the only messenger with real desktop clients even for Linux. I tried it with LINE before, what has also a really good desktop client (at least for macOS) but everyone except me hated it.

And of course I told the ones with iPhones how to use iMessage.

I am spending much more time on my Macs with a mechanical keyboard than on my iPhone and iPad, so a good desktop client is really important because I prefer typing over touching.

Before, when I used my iPhone more for messaging than my Mac, I tried it with Threema, but except one person (luckily the most important) nobody wanted to pay for a messenger, so the only way to write me was SMS or Email and I was very happy when Messages on the Mac supported SMS too a little later. I used it heavily until I discovered LINE and Telegram.

6. joueboy macrumors 68000

Yeah I noticed that one too, because only Apple started using that bubble design.:rolleyes:

7. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Exactly. Just like Facebook messenger with the ads and forcing users to a separate ad-serving “client.” Now Amazon can interrupt your conversations about dinner to “suggest” you buy the ingredients from Whole Foods and then they can try to sell you a cookbook from the main site as well.

8. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Aye, then all they'd need to do is sell it so that it's no longer owned by God awful company Facebook.

9. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

Translation: Apple should open up everything to everyone so that people can march in like Trojan horses with their alternate payment apps, messenger tie-ins, and other nonsense. Then you can wait for local foreign governments to demand their own tie-ins for “monitoring and security” as well. Why would Apple do such a thing when by keeping things controlled and exclusive they avoid breaches, dilution, and giving away profits? Or would you prefer they turn to creating ad sales data from users and selling it like everyone else?

10. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Lost in translation. ;) Not what I said. Don't put words in my mouth. Thanks. If you are unsure of what I meant then you can kindly just ask for clarification rather than go straight to accusing me of something I didn't say.

12. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Apple is not responding to market forces and giving people what they want. I just switched from iPhone to the super sexy Samsung Galaxy S8 phone. Amazing technology. I can do things I couldn't do before. There are just too many cool things to name. Likewise, I ditched the iPad and switched to the Samsung GalaxyTab. Also amazing. I can do so many things with Samsung's rich and vibrant software such as edit movies and create songs and write a novel. The tech is far above the custom-made Apple crapware and limiting iOS system, which is far inferior to the Samsung-edited Android.

I also plan on dumping my iMac and MacBook for PCs. The competition has better hardware and software. iCloud, iBooks, Pages, Keynote, iMovie, GarageBand, Notes, Reminders, etc., all these task-based and productivity crapware and bloatware doest not exist on Windows. Also, Multi-Touch is such a gimmick on a computer, much like 3D Touch is on a touchscreen. Who asked for 3D Touch? It's stupid and gimmicky. Until Android gets it. Then it'll be amazing as we definitely need another dimension with touch-based interfaces. Sensing touch but also degrees of pressure? Really cool. Definitely love that PlayStation controllers can recognize degrees of pressure to make gaming way more dynamic.

I've never been more happier with the competition. Too bad Apple doesn't care.

13. campyguy macrumors 68040

IMHO this platform fills a void as a complement to their SES platform besides the obvious Alexa platform. And now I may be able to "text" my Anova immersion cooker to start up…

14. Macaholic868 macrumors 6502

Macaholic868

Amazon is a little late to the party on this one. Most people are pretty locked into their messaging platform of choice. It’s a bit like social media. You’re stuck in whatever platform you and the people you interact with are usingand it doesn’t make much sense to leave unless you can convince those you interact with the most to move with you.

15. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

They won't decide that a year later, it's likely on the roadmap now - get customers hooked first, then "monetize" them after they've established a sufficient base.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 ---
    The advantage I see iMessage having over most of these other services is, it semi-transparently falls back to SMS if one of the parties isn't using iOS/macOS. So I can use the standard built-in messaging app, and it uses the best-available transport, whether iMessage or SMS, and if that's iMessage, then there's bonus features (read receipts, seeing that others are typing, sharing location, etc.).

With most every other messaging service, both parties have to commit ahead of time to using that service (download/install/configure Messenger or WhatsApp or Signal or Telegram), where with iMessage, it just piggybacks on the standard Messages app, which will also do SMS to my Android-using friends without me having to specify anything special ahead of time.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Please share all the "too many cool things to name" please. Everything you mentioned can be done on iOS/Mac.

17. The Mad Hatter macrumors 6502a

The Mad Hatter

Good for you. Sorry to see you go. I mean, since you’re dumping your Apple stuff, there’s no reason for you to stay (and/or post) on a Apple-centric site.

So, don’t let door hit you on the arse, on the way out. Toodles!

18. stoney05 macrumors regular

There’s no good reason for that

19. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

And a web-based version on iCloud.com.

20. modemthug macrumors regular

Seeing as they've done so well in the mobile space with the Fire Phone and other smashing successes, this should become the #1 messaging platform within 5 years /s

21. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Bold: You've got some strange fetish.

I bought a Galaxy Tab a year ago for the girl, she exchanged it for an iPad the day later, it was garbage.
    Buying a WinPC, be aware, you now have to look out for ransomeware and heaps of viruses.

22. Kaibelf Suspended

Kaibelf

You actually didn't say much of anything aside from "Apple's doing it wrong" with absolutely no examples, or even an argument as to why. Therefore, I humbly deny your request as you're the one who left the door open for speculation with what was essentially a fluff post with no content. No need to get into a victim stance. I think Apple's doing things correctly, and laid out exactly why I think they shouldn't alter things. If you disagree, please feel free to explain why and what you would change that you can assure would not sacrifice the many things that differentiate them from the HTCs and Samsungs of the world.

And I am not talking about iOS, I'm talking about overall strategy, which for some reason legions of Apple fans seem to think should be all about getting back to making desktop computers and avoiding recurring revenue streams via cloud services of various stripes.

23. thekeyring macrumors 68040

I think any messaging app beyond WhatsApp and iMessage is going to struggle.

I only used Hangouts because of one friend of mine, and now only use Messenger because of that same friend.

24. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

There's just no reason for another one. There's no void in the market, no space to provide anything that isn't currently provided by half a dozen competitors. This sounds like the worst kind of "me too" crap that nobody is asking for and nobody needs.