Amazon is Reportedly Readying a New Messaging Platform Called 'Anytime'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2017.

1. gigapocket1 macrumors 68000

Agreed. And everybody has Facebook messenger. But it's really just to get in touch with people that you only talk to once every 5 years

2. adamneer macrumors 6502

Yeah, but those are all self-enclosed thoughts. That's the key difference between other companies who try to copy Apple's marketing lingo and Apple themselves: Apple actually puts time and effort into their slogans and other companies just try to make theirs sound like Apple's.

3. adamjackson macrumors 68000

I don't love it. In fact, I hate it but since this is an internal slide, I assume Amazon isn't stupid enough to keep that as their icon when publicly released.

4. jmpmntwnty3 macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, but I don't see Apple doing this anytime soon. Part of the novelty of iMessage and Facetime is that in order to use those services, you must be a part of the Apple ecosystem (iPhones, iPads, Macs, Macbooks, iPod Touches, etc.)

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Thank god you can fallback to apple services which are rock solid ;)

6. Ken Linger macrumors member

Ken Linger

In reality, this is probably more for Alexa purposes. The Alexa syntax is easily ported to chatbots and SMS (see AWS Lex) meaning that users will likely be able to discuss dinner plans and have Alexa pop up with "OK, I made a reservation for you at ..." Amazon's schtick will be that their's is the only Alexa-integrated chat platform.

7. Fall Under Cerulean Kites macrumors 6502

Fall Under Cerulean Kites

No thanks.

iMessage does litterally everything I need. I can send to anyone with a mobile device with iMessage. The only other messaging service I have is Facebook messenger, and it pains me when I receive a message through the service.

8. hotgril Suspended

hotgril

I only use iMessage and Facebook Messenger, usually the latter. Way fewer than 99% of people use iOS. I haven't been able to get away with using mostly iMessage since I was in private school.

9. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

Some very uninspired designers. The message buubble has got to ge the most overused design trope I have ever seen

10. riverfreak macrumors 65816

riverfreak

LOL. What's the uptime of your infrastructure?

11. CristianM macrumors member

CristianM

You use whatever your friends are on, which is why people are not thrilled to see yet another app get introduced.

I use facebook messenger for some friends, switch to telegram for others (since fb announced ads), my mother's on imedsage while my father uses whatsapp, and of course I have to have Skype and hangouts for the occasional call with someone who is not in my friend list.

12. Urban Joe Suspended

Yep. Gotta boil a frog slowly.

13. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

14. Urban Joe, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017

Urban Joe Suspended

Probably Amazon will shoehorn Prime ordering through their message app. If they do this already then I must have missed it. It's like eventually messaging will be the new OS interface/paradigm. But I hope not as it gets confusing and overcrowded.

15. jimbobb24 macrumors 65816

iMessages and WhatsApp are pretty awesome. Only two I ever use. Both great. At this point adding another doesn't seem likely.

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

A common strength of people who take pride in switching from Apple products is that they are great at sticking around these forums and telling us how far "behind" Apple is and how *insert any non-Apple company here* is better than Apple. It's almost like a religious awakening that compels them to save the rest of us unwashed heathens from the damnation of a life with Apple products.

17. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I never understood why iMessages needs to be on Android.

Right now if an Android users wants to message me... they send me an SMS text message. And I get it. And vice-versa.

I use the app called "Messages" on my iPhone... and if the person is another iPhone user the bubble is blue. Otherwise it's green. No extra effort required.

I don't really see the difference. The messages get sent and received.

I know iMessage offers extra features... but they're hardly necessary.

And like many other people said in this thread... there are plenty of other ways to message people. FaceBook Messenger, WhatsApp, even email.

There's no shortage of ways to talk to people. This is the easiest time in history to reach someone. :)

I never hear, "Bob isn't using XYZ Messenger... therefore he is unreachable!"

18. xero9 macrumors 6502a

I like shopping on Amazon, but around the time Apple was battling the FBI over accessing that guy's iPhone, didn't Amazon disable all encrypted traffic on things like the FireTV? Not sure I'd want to hand over anything other than my shopping habits to a company like that.

19. adamneer macrumors 6502

I always assume it's for the people who refuse to pay for text messaging in their mobile plans, so they place the burden on everyone else to use whatever free messaging service they think is "just as good". Now, one could certainly argue that texting plans are incredibly overpriced, but other than cost, there is literally no need for "more features" in a messaging app. Messaging is messaging - it has a specific purpose. It seems people think apps these days need to be some sentient interconnected platform that replaces every aspect of the human experience.

20. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Well, they do exist, you just have to pay extra for most of them.
    Aren't all laptops using this multi-touch "gimmick"?
    Am I misunderstanding this last part, or are you just trolling? 3D Touch is stupid and gimmicky only until Android gets it? Then you go on to praise 3D Touch :\

21. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Does anyone remember using "Adium" for all your chat needs. AIM, Google, ICQ, Jabber, VK, FB and others all in one program? I only had to keep one application to communicate with all my friends. Too bad this can't happen today on iOS.

22. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Hmmm... I guess there are places that still charge for text messages?

I remember (long ago) the reason everyone loved Blackberry Messenger was because it was basically "free" to message other Blackberry users. You'd use your mandatory data plan instead of expensive text plans.

And that's what iMessage does too... using your data instead of per-message fees.

But now... SMS is pretty much devalued to the point where it's just included in your bill, right? Who pays for text messages these days?

I haven't heard anyone lately say "I'm out of text messages for the month..." just like I haven't heard "I'm out of minutes for the month..."

But maybe that's just my US-centric ears. :)

23. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I can't speak for anyone else but I only use iMessage. I had a friend with an iPhone send me an iMessage asking me to install WhatsApp so he could instant message me. I replied, "you mean like you just did through iMessage?". I guess I just don't get the advantage of installing 3rd party messaging apps on an iPhone. iMessage meets all of my needs.

24. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

that's why apple doesn't call their messaging service "anytime".
    --- Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 ---
    my infrastructure was never down due to a "typo"

25. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Texting plans are so last decade - didn't all the carriers go to "unlimited voice, unlimited texts, just pay for data"? (In Verizon's case, it certainly looked like a reaction to iMessage, actually - if Apple was going to eat into their texting profits, Verizon was just going to bundle texting into all their plans so they could continue claim it as part of the benefit of the plan "see, you're getting texting included".) I hear there are some other countries where text plans are still a thing.