Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've been tracking all of the best deals you can get during Prime Day this year, and this includes a new all-time low price on the 13.3-inch M1 MacBook Air from 2020.

prime-day-macbook-air.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

You can get the 256GB M1 MacBook Air for $749.99, down from $999.00 today on Amazon. It's available in all three colors of Gold, Silver, and Space Gray at this price, with an estimated delivery date of July 11 for Prime members.

There are many internal and external differences between the 13.3-inch M1 MacBook Air and the newer 13.6-inch and 15.3-inch M2 MacBook Air models, but as an entry-level computer the M1 device should work great for common tasks, especially at this Prime Day pricing. You can read our guide to get a better look at all the similarities and differences between the generations.

Remember that you'll need an Amazon Prime membership to get Prime Day deals. You can sign up for Prime on Amazon if you don't have the service yet.

Article Link: Amazon Prime Day: M1 MacBook Air Hits New Record Low Price of $749.99 ($249 Off)

Last edited:
Reactions: SkinnyPete

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
2005 era ram and hard drive, 2023 era cpu. still a good sale tho, hoping for one on the pro

Well, said ram (8) and hd (256) is working just fine for me for the last 3 years already, with plenty headroom to spare. The extra storage space I do need is covered by the clouds, and a 2TB Samsung T7 SSD external. All in, some of the best money I’ve ever spent.

Point is, if you even think you need the base model, get 1, especially for this price.

anakin44011

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Meh. It's a 2020 model, so it will probably no longer support the current MacOS in a couple of years, and you'll lose security updates a couple years after that. At this point, it has a far shorter lifespan than a cheaper newer model Chromebook.
Wow...really?

If I were a betting man, I'd wager the lifespan of this MacBook Air against a 2021-3 Chromebook...but I'm certainly biased (and not a betting man).

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Great device without an obnoxious notch (the one thing I really hate about my MBP even after seven months of using it). Still hard to believe Apple finally made a good, affordable laptop with decent enough specs for years and years of everyday use and I can actually recommend it to people without having to add "but it is a little pricey" at the end. 8GB RAM is more than enough for word processing, browsing, light gaming, photo editing etc. and we live in the era of "the cloud" and cheap ultrafast usb-c flash drives so 256GB is far from a concern.

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Meh. It's a 2020 model, so it will probably no longer support the current MacOS in a couple of years, and you'll lose security updates a couple years after that. At this point, it has a far shorter lifespan than a cheaper newer model Chromebook.
Apple is still selling new 2020 MBAs today, 2.5 years after release. They're not going to drop it from support anytime soon.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
If good sale will buy one.. does m1 airs have same problem with external displays as other apple silicon macs (flicker)??

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Great device without an obnoxious notch (the one thing I really hate about my MBP even after seven months of using it).

I have a desktop graphic with a black line so the notch is hidden, and with the menubar next to teh notch and bartender, I never notice it is there.

Still hard to believe Apple finally made a good, affordable laptop with decent enough specs for years and years of everyday use and I can actually recommend it to people without having to add "but it is a little pricey" at the end. 8GB RAM is more than enough for word processing, browsing, light gaming, photo editing etc. and we live in the era of "the cloud" and cheap ultrafast usb-c flash drives so 256GB is far from a concern.

Yea, it's a great machine for people that just need to do everyday things. It's not just light duty either. I used mine with Parallels until I got an M1 MBP when it came out. My only issue with it was the lack of expansion ports and MagSafe, although a hub and magnetic USB-C cable addressed those issues; but I still wanted, if not needed, a MBP.

At $750 the price point is right as well. My guess is this will last as least as long as Apple has its Back to College sale.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple is still selling new 2020 MBAs today, 2.5 years after release. They're not going to drop it from support anytime soon.

I don’t think support will drop soon either, but sale status is meaningless for Apple. They were still selling Intel-based iMac and Mac Pro up until recently. Apple only cares about product intro date in terms of OS support.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
Some good deals to be had buying right from Apple as well right now since they are giving out gift cards for education purchases (which anyone can do). Just picked up the base mac mini M2 from the Apple Education store $669 CAD ($500 USD) and got a $150 CAD gift card. Pretty damn good deal. Happy with the base model so far.

bag99001

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
Seems like anecdotal to specific monitors doing a cursory glance at that forum post. Outside of this forum. I haven't heard this being a consistent problem. I'm sure the problems are legit, but probably not super-wide-spread or we'd be hearing this more in the Apple-website-sphere. Worth buying, trying with your current setup, and then returning if it doesn't work for you.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I don’t think support will drop soon either, but sale status is meaningless for Apple. They were still selling Intel-based iMac and Mac Pro up until recently. Apple only cares about product intro date in terms of OS support.

Apple considers the last date a product was sold for vintage status (5-7 years old).

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple considers the last date a product was sold for vintage status (5-7 years old).

That only matters for parts and service. In terms of OS support, it’s always based on launch date. macOS Sonoma for example requires iMac 2019 or newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.