Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Anyone have any experience with Amazon Renewed products? The same Air is almost $100 less:
Link

I'm guessing you don't get AC+ options with that one.
I'd personally avoid 3rd party renewed products. If it was a "Renewed Premium" item that's sold and shipped by Amazon, that's a different story.

You can actually get an open-box version of this M1 MacBook Air from Best Buy for less than the renewed version on Amazon.

Open-Box Excellent
- Looks brand new
- Includes all original parts/accessories
- Typically contains packaging

> $695.99 (Space Gray)

> $682.99 (Silver)

Reactions: deebinem

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
The previous best of $799 was an incredibly good value. I bought in for my first 'new' Mac. $749 is just incredibly good. This is such a great deal on a MacBook that will satisfy the needs of the vast majority of users.

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
Apple is still selling new 2020 MBAs today, 2.5 years after release. They're not going to drop it from support anytime soon.
Well, they were still selling 2017 MBA in 2019 and today it doesn’t get the latest macOS Ventura anymore.

Reactions: bikrrr

QuickDraw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2009
No, they won’t. My 2011 MBP was supported for 7 years, stopped at High Sierra. But I still use it, offline, for Aperture.
I am still using my 2011 MBP and writing this from my 2011 27 iMac. Both running Monterey with the help of OCLP. Good enough for my basic needs at home.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
You do not have "no doubt." You are just guessing. Apple could drop the M1 Air tomorrow, there is nothing to stop them, and if they determine they can make more money by doing that, they will.

..or they could keep it going for 10 more years. Your predication is worth no more than anyone else's.

In other words, calm down dude. You're getting worked up over nothing.

Neepman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
You making this comment on every post about machines with 8GB of RAM is not nearly as clever as you think it is.
I know what you mean. I need at least 32GB of RAM for all the rendering i'm doing for my CAD plans for the replacement of the Golden Gate Bridge. Oh ...wait, I'm not in that line of work. I email and watch cat videos .

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Some good deals to be had buying right from Apple as well right now since they are giving out gift cards for education purchases (which anyone can do). Just picked up the base mac mini M2 from the Apple Education store $669 CAD ($500 USD) and got a $150 CAD gift card. Pretty damn good deal. Happy with the base model so far.
Just got a great deal on my sons first college laptop this way. Very nice.

Reactions: Six0Four

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
nah ill wait for M3 and the hope for a 12" design. its not about the money. its about the portability

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
I'm not in the market for a new machine, not for a while, but I was curious. Looks like this special is only available to the 'mericans. It seems like we can't even have it shipped over the pond. Still going for €999 in Belgium, same price I paid 3 years ago.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 23.46.01.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-10 at 23.53.26.jpg

Not fair....

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I wouldn't personally buy an entry level MacBook, but that's a great deal if your usage is modest. My M1 Air has 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD, but it's still a great machine that I use every day. I've owned many Apple laptops over the years, and this might just be the best one of all of them, all things considered. Also the first one I ordered in the gold color, which was a lark at the time because I was just sick of silver/gray, but I love it, it looks really sharp.

kkee

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2023
Sydney
This is a no brainer. Get it now, you only have 2 days for such price. Still the best Mac laptop that covers all the basic and intermediate tasks. Perfect for school and office, or even cafe warrior.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I'm not in the market for a new machine, not for a while, but I was curious. Looks like this special is only available to the 'mericans. It seems like we can't even have it shipped over the pond. Still going for €999 in Belgium, same price I paid 3 years ago.

View attachment 2230832

View attachment 2230834

Not fair....

You actually don't want this version. Keyboards are quite different for US machines.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
..or they could keep it going for 10 more years. Your predication is worth no more than anyone else's.

In other words, calm down dude. You're getting worked up over nothing.
I'm not the only one that is perturbed by not knowing what I'm buying with my money.

Imagine your BigCorp. Buying a thousand machines. Used to be Windows had guaranteed 10 years support. This made everyone very comfortable. Accounting can amortize and is happy, Boss is happy, tax man is happy, everyone happy. Got what paid for. Everyone knows exactly what will happen and plans accordingly. What if buy 1000 Macs instead, and support ends in a year? Everyone's VERY UNHAPPY. Businesses do not like guessing with money.

Why did Mac sales plummet almost half, right after they dumped millions of machines last year without warning? That's why.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
You actually don't want this version. Keyboards are quite different for US machines.

I would get it, because while I live in Belgium, I cannot stand the AZERTY keyboard. It is meant for French, not Dutch and English. So, my wife and I buy our keyboards/laptops from The Netherlands where they use a normal QWERTY. But, if I ever find myself state side and I need a new device, I’ll get it there. An international keyboard will do fine, English is my first language anyway.

Reactions: CalMin

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
I had an intel Macbook when Snow Leopard came out on it. Whenever that was. I did like the hardware. But this silly Windows user was so ingrained into how that OS works, it was really difficult for me to adapt to the MacOS. Just didn't seem intuitive at all.

But I'm hearing so many good reviews of these new Macbooks that I might just have to try one out again. And since I have an iPad and an iPhone, I really have become a fan of the Apple ecosystem. This M1 Macbook seems like a good place to start my journey back into Mac's. Especially when the price drops. I will most likely wait until the Fall for a slightly better price. But I definitely do have my eye on these things.

MrKennedy

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
As the price of the M1 Macbook Air keeps dropping more and more, it's only cementing the fact more and more that Apple should make a Macbook SE with this old wedge design. Maybe even take the old 12 inch Macbook and turn that into a Macbook SE.

Lol no. The most cost-effective move for Apple is to keep the M1 Air exactly as it is.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Lol no. The most cost-effective move for Apple is to keep the M1 Air exactly as it is.

Nah I want a Macbook SE. The M1 Air as it is right now is just a sale price that never lasts. but if we had a Macbook SE that had this price as MSRP, then that would attract attention, and a lot of people who buy cheap crappy notebooks all the time would gain interest in a Macbook SE because of it's low price, a price that would only get lower when sales came.

Plus by making a Macbook SE, the wedge design would live on and get the latest chips, so those who prefer the wedge design more would be happy. The M1 Macbook Air ain't gonna be on sale forever as the moment M3 comes out it's getting axed, and flat Macbook Air will be the only one available.

Reactions: bag99001

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Why did Mac sales plummet almost half, right after they dumped millions of machines last year without warning? That's why.

It's because everyone upgraded/overbought during the pandemic and are set for the next few years. The same thing happened to every single computer manufacturer, without exception.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I had an intel Macbook when Snow Leopard came out on it. Whenever that was. I did like the hardware. But this silly Windows user was so ingrained into how that OS works, it was really difficult for me to adapt to the MacOS. Just didn't seem intuitive at all.

But I'm hearing so many good reviews of these new Macbooks that I might just have to try one out again. And since I have an iPad and an iPhone, I really have become a fan of the Apple ecosystem. This M1 Macbook seems like a good place to start my journey back into Mac's. Especially when the price drops. I will most likely wait until the Fall for a slightly better price. But I definitely do have my eye on these things.

You will still face a period of adaptation to MacOS. Apple just does some things differently (and better in my very biased opinion). I am bilingual 😂 since I have to use Windows for work sometimes as well as having a PC for Flight Sim.

The trick will be to fully commit to MacOS for a few weeks. Do everything on your Mac and push past that learning curve. It should be easier now than in the days of Snow Leopard because so much of what we do on computers is browser based, and software like MS Office on the Mac now has much greater feature parity and compatibility than it used to (it's still not 100% though).

Reactions: brgjoe

gund1234

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2022
The tragedy here for me is that, while yes — $749 for this is a phenomenal value — 16gb of RAM and a larger SSD would future-proof this machine for many users. The higher-end models rarely have comparable discounts.

Nowadays, you can buy a 512gb SSD and 16gb of RAM for $100 total. But if you want that in a MacBook Air, it’s $999 base, plus $400 for a 512gb SSD and 16gb of RAM.

So, a 16gb RAM / 512gb SSD M1 Air typically runs $1,399, while the base model frequently goes on sale for $799 — now $749. That’s a $650 price difference for components which typically cost $100 total. If the higher-spec’d model were similarly discounted, I’d be less salty.

As the “tech guy” in many peoples’ lives, I hate explaining “well you can get a laptop that will be great 99% of the time and likely last several years for $800, but if you want it slightly better, you can pay $600 more.”
RAM & SSD is in SOC now, so that might not be a fair comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.