Amazon to Cease Selling Apple TV, Google Chromecast Over 'Prime Video' Incompatibility

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 1, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon plans to stop selling some streaming video devices that compete with its Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, reports Bloomberg. It will no longer offer Google's Chromecast or Apple's Apple TV for sale in its online store.

[​IMG]

Amazon today sent an email to marketplace sellers notifying them of the upcoming change. The site plans to disallow new listings for the product and remove existing inventory on October 29. As a reason for the removal, Amazon is citing compatibility with its Prime Video streaming service, which is not available on devices from Google and Apple.
    Other set-top boxes and consoles, including those from Roku, Microsoft, and Playstation, do have apps that allow customers to stream Amazon Prime Video and thus won't be affected by the new ban.

For Apple customers, this means the new fourth-generation Apple TV will not be available for purchase via Amazon.com. It also suggests the device will not be gaining an Amazon video app and will continue to be incompatible with the Amazon Prime Video service.

Article Link: Amazon to Cease Selling Apple TV, Google Chromecast Over 'Prime Video' Incompatibility

2. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

3. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

4. mdriftmeyer macrumors 68030

mdriftmeyer

I would never buy an Apple product from Amazon.

5. Tonkah macrumors newbie

If they were truly concerned about their customers needs, they would spend more time preventing their review system from being faked or gamed, and their resellers from posting inaccurate product images/descriptions.

This decree that they just made is more of a hissy-fit than a solution to a problem.

6. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

I would have bought an Apple TV 4G if it had the Amazon Prime app!

7. JonneyGee macrumors 6502

JonneyGee

Better solution: Amazon should release a Prime Video app for the new Apple TV.

This only means Apple users will buy their devices elsewhere and be less likely to subscribe to Amazon Prime.

8. phantom76 macrumors newbie

But what stops them from making a Prime instant app for these platforms?

9. kds1 Suspended

kds1

So what. It's not like someone can't walk into an Apple Store and pick one up, or, order one directly from Apple, with free shipping. Apple won't bat an eye. Next.

10. Olaf.cc macrumors newbie

Makes sense. "DOES NOT SUPPORT PRIME VIDEO" label next to the Apple TV or Chromecast is too hard.

11. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

This is abusive. Amazon will lose a lot of very loyal Apple customers as a result of this. I know I'll never buy another thing from Amazon now they've decided to try and hurt sales of the Apple TV. I hope hundreds of millions of other people take a similar stand.

12. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Meh, I will just watch Amazon stuff on my Xbox or PS4. Definitely not buying any of their fire devices.

No idea why they don't just make an app for the new Apple TV, they already have an app for iPhones and iPads.

13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

They know tvOS is open for development, right? So just get in there and develop an Apple TV app, Amazon. Done!

14. applelover4u macrumors 6502

Gutsy move. I wonder how this will play out

15. phr0z3n macrumors member

phr0z3n

Wow - Amazon is making a big mistake.. if you don't want to be part of the TV revolution then you will be left behind. The new Apple TV will usher in a new era of TV that will make all other streaming devices obsolete.

16. FoxMcCloud macrumors 6502a

Why not get your service on as many products as possible Amazon? Like the Netflix is everywhere.

Call me crazy..

17. plantoschka macrumors member

I think it will be along time before the new AppleTV get's a proper Amazon Video App. Such a shame because they have a lot of good content.

18. ChasSC-Mac-Guy macrumors newbie

Sooooo, one less reason to shop at a Amazon, whoop-di-doo. What's their nonexistent marketshare in this niche product area? like 1%? I'm sure Google doesn't give a **** either.

Nothing to see here, move along. LOL

19. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Looks like Taylor Swift needs to write a new letter to resolve this so that Apple TV has the Amazon Prime service.

20. sevoneone macrumors 6502

I don't think it is a matter of Amazon not wanting to make an App for the AppleTV. It is Apple not allowing them to publish it. Apple sees Amazon as a direct competitor to iTunes... and they are.

21. netslacker macrumors 6502

That's unfortunate. I was really hoping for an Amazon Prime App in the AppleTV app store.

22. dmx macrumors 6502a

23. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

They allowed them to publish the iPhone/iPad version. So I don't think that's the case.

24. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

Yet, they have Amazon video apps for iPhone and iPad.

Haha jinx DavidLeBlond

25. kds1 Suspended

kds1