Amazon's 48-Hour 'Prime Day' Event Takes Place July 15 and 16

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

All of their products are usually on sale on prime day.

2. msama macrumors regular

I cancelled my prime about a year ago. Not enough of a value to justify the cost. Shipping is still quick without it and I will just binge watch primeTV for a month like all the other streaming services. camelcamelcamel.com price alerts are good enough for me.

3. Cold_Beaver macrumors newbie

Depends who you talk to

4. BrentD macrumors 6502

No need for that. They already artificially inflate the List or Regular price when an item goes on "sale". Every day on Today's Deals or these Lightning Deals it's nothing more than slightly discounted items made to look highly discounted by showing a fake previous price. Maybe 5%, if that, of deals on Prime Day are actually great deals.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Prime 12 month hopefully on offer again - no postage costs on all my orders and I loved Good Omens, Jack Ryan ,Hanna & The Man in the high castle.

price is worth it just for the prime delivery to our house.

6. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Great opportunity to pick up more Fire TV Stick 4K and Fire HD 10.

Pair a bluetooth Xbox or PS4 controller to $40 Fire TV Stick 4K running Kodi with Retroarch and you have unlimited access to check out and play retro arcade, console and computer games along with the best media playback capabilities.

https://github.com/zach-morris/plugin.program.iagl

7. wellander1 macrumors regular

I have gotten some clothes from prime day on sale that has good quality. But that is about it.

8. millerlite macrumors regular

millerlite

I have tried for the past two Prime Days to find anything, but it's all overstocked crap. Not even going to bother this year.

9. harriska2 macrumors 65816

harriska2

I wonder if the Kindle Paperwhite will be on sale for $89 like it was for Mother’s Day.

10. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I’m waiting to get a fire HD 10 too.

11. SlyMac macrumors 6502

SlyMac

Nothing better than saving 5% on an Item you'd never buy otherwise that was 10% off a couple weeks ago. They need to just give this up lol.

12. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

I've never seen anything decent from Amazon even then. At least nothing I care about at all, anyway.

13. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

The Great Amazon Garage Sale starts again. Only good deals are on Amazon branded items. Otherwise the deals are simply the same as any other day. Artificially inflated “original prices” with amazing discounts that are the same price, or very near, anywhere else.

14. Xirian macrumors member

Hopefully the echo show 2nd gen is $100 off like the echo show was last year. I've been holding off on buying one because of prime day.

15. Chaos215bar2 macrumors member

What makes you think we don’t care? Personally, I could do without one of my favorite blogs advertising what amounts to Amazon’s annual junk sale as “epic”.

16. Mousse macrumors 68020

Mousse

I like the Deal of the Day stuff. I can see if its something I want and get on my with day real quick. Prime Day can eats up hours if a few things catches my eye. I don't think I can deal with that sort of stress anymore, after my emotional support squirrel got ran over.:D

Anyhow, Prime Day isn't just Amazon's Garage Sale™. It also serves as Prime membership drive. The first Prime Day, they had some stuff I really, really wanted, but you had to be a Prime member. I wasn't. I was sorely tempted, but held strong in the end. I knew once they got their meat hooks into me, ain't no way they'll let me go. Amazon doesn't play catch and release.

Yeah. Our Gub'ment already spies on up for free.:p

17. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

UPS drivers questioning their career choice. Warehouse workers on suicide watch.

18. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

I recently signed up to prime, I recon with a toddler, last minute purchases will be useful to be delivered same day (I know not all items are) and also I can order things for the rest of the family.
    It's just a bit addictive if I know I can have something brought to me within a few hours, it's easy to get click-happy lol.
    It did help me the other day, I was due to go to the zoo the next day and the standard SD cards I had been using for my Nikon D850 were far too slow. 3 pics in succession and it shut the camera off until the data had written from the buffer to the card.
    A nice 64GB Sandisk Pro Extreme UHS-II later, and problem solved, delivered that day for £83, now back up to £99 (still cheaper than eBay). Forget XQD cards that this camera supports, those prices are tooooo expensive everywhere.

Liking my Prime membership thus far for the delivery alone, nice to know you can cancel mid way through a years subscription and receive the pro-rata refund also.

19. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Pshh screw the haters. I, for one, am excited for the deals on Multicolored Toilet Bowl Lights.

20. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

We’re there any good deals on apple products last time around?

Last prime day was terrible.. 2 prime days ago it was great though.

21. BrennanWDavis macrumors member

BrennanWDavis

Yeah, on the first Prime Day I got a great 50" Samsung 3D TV with a hard drive full of 4K movies for a good price. Haven't seen anything worth the money on recent Prime Days, but I still look.

22. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

camelcamelcamel

23. Solomani, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Do the Prime Day discounts/deals also apply to "Trial Members"? Cuz I still have yet to use my so-called Free trial membership.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2019 ---
    I think three years ago…. around the time of "Prime Day" Amazon offered a (limited time offer) discount on Prime Membership itself…. like it was $99/year normally (back in that time) but during the promo period you could sign up and get annual for only $70 or so. That seemed like a steal at the time, I missed out tho (a very flash discount offer).

24. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

I think there actually are some great deals, but the problem is for every worthwhile sale item, there's 10,000 aliexpress items from 3rd party sellers that are market up 2000% and then on sale for a mere 500% markup.

It is simply not worth the time and effort to sift through all the garbage to find the very rare actual sale item. I'm better off ignoring the sale, enjoying the 3-4 hours I'd otherwise spend looking at garbage deals and buy what I want when I want it.

Amazon could easily fix it, but they'd rather advertise 100's of thousands of sales items even if 99.99% are garbage at huge markups and ripoff prices.