Amazon's 48-Hour 'Prime Day' Event Takes Place July 15 and 16

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 25, 2019.

1. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Actually, I cared.
    But the so called sale is full of garbage. When did pointing out a fact became an issue?

2. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Do you not remember what King Herzog VII once said?

One man's garbage is another man's wife!

3. warp9 macrumors regular

warp9

Their marketplace is a den of thieves. Counterfeit software, knockoff brands, and shady fly-by-night "businesses". I was a power seller and buyer on ebay for 20 years and I never experienced anything as bad as Amazons marketplace.

4. DevNull0, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019

DevNull0 macrumors 68020

It became an issue when snowflakes got it in their heads that everybody has the right to never be offended no matter how big a chip on their shoulder or how hard they try to be offended. The natural extension is that nobody should ever be allowed to express a negative thought or opinion about everything. And all "right-thinking" people should denounce all negative opinions, no matter how offensive and negative the denouncing is, that's somehow okay.

I love the idea of prime day, but as implemented it just has too much noise and too little of value being drowned out. Apparently that opinion is too negative for our thought-police snowflake overlords.

5. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

You are generalizing. For example, in the preview one can see Amazon offering Anker 60W [PowerIQ 3.0 & GaN] which is better than any Apple charger. Besides, last year people bought 100 million products during the Amazon Prime day. Apparently not everyone shares your opinion.

6. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Thou hast offended the Overlords. Do twenty-five push-ups now.

7. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

Just a reminder, Amazon is selling Apple products.

8. Ken Linger macrumors member

Ken Linger

General rules:

• Huge deals (like a current-model Kindle for 50% off) is usually a good indicator that the product is about to be refreshed/upgraded soon after Prime Day(s) is finished.
    • Compare prices with other sites. The discount is usually based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price, not the typical street price. Some are deals; some are not.
    • Make of list of things you need/want before the sale. If it's on sale, then great! If not, is a suitable alternative for sale? If not, then don't fall for the "I don't need it but it's a great deal!" mentality.

9. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Has Amazon ever been an authorized Apple Reseller? If not, then buyer beware, since warranties, repairs, and returns is like playing russian roulette.

10. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

And prime day is a testament to just how much Amazon likes it that way.

11. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

I'm a happy Prime customer but this made me laugh after the first Prime Day.

I love buying movies on Blu-Ray for $5-$10 on Black Friday.

12. falainber macrumors 65816

falainber

It's not just assembled in China. Many (most?) of its components are manufactured in China (especially if we remember that Taiwan is a Greater China).

13. warp9 macrumors regular

warp9

I don't know what you mean by that. I'm talking about the Amazon 3rd party marketplace.

14. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

Don't forget Amazon paid $0 in taxes on their profits for FY2018. Did you pay taxes on your income in 2018? If you did, I would be pissed.

15. Coffee50 macrumors 6502a

Last year, I bought the August Smart Lock Pro for a great price on Prime day.

There are good deals to be found, but I think it's a matter of being realistic. While tech is the first thing I aim for, many times, it's non tech related stuff I end up finding.

Home Decor, Fashion, Audio, etc. many times have decent discounts. Still, depending on how much patience one has (and what you're looking for) there ARE deals. Home Last year, that DNA Kit, 23 and Me was $100 off, SonicCare electronic tooth brush ($100 off) certain vacs, etc.

Plus, Amazon Prime often spurs other retailers (Best Buy, Target, Wal Mart) to launch their own 1 or 2 day sales.

16. Relentless Power, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What a strange thing to say on a tech site that’s full of opinions, why would I expect everyone to share my opinion? (Rhetorical) However, I was being objective in my post and the fact that you didn’t acknowledge it, then I will politely ask you to re-read what I originally posted, clearly when I already Stated to_each their own_.

17. gugy macrumors 68040

gugy

This is true for the most part. I noticed that sometimes the same product at Walmart.com have cheaper prices than Amazon.
    This past year, four times I end up buying at Walmart online and actually saved quite a bit.

18. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I ended my Prime membership back in November, then Amazon started up a trial membership (without explicitly telling me, naughty, naughty) because I plugged my Fire Stick into a different TV. I got that cancelled, then they did the same thing AGAIN on the same day because I cancelled an order (yeah, because I cancelled an order!).

So, I closed my Amazon account, and do you know what's happened?

I'm not buying things I don't really need, and I have a lot more money because none of it is going to Jeff Bezos.

19. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

there are some things that are great sites do a post-sale analysis simlar to black Friday and its single percentage points of "deals" are actually but if you religiously watch the site and deal forums about primeday there are gems to find.

20. MisterSavage macrumors 65816

MisterSavage

Dealnews and Kinjadeals are great for finding good deals during special Amazon events.

21. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

i also like some of the topics on slickdeals for US based deals and Redflagdeals for Canadian.
    the usually have individual item threads as well as a master thread for prime day

22. Techwatcher macrumors regular

Techwatcher

Prime Day is a great concept, but the deals are usually subpar. The only really good deals are on the Echo items, but not everyone is looking for an echo device every year.

23. kuwxman macrumors 6502a

kuwxman

Prime Day is just a glorified garage sale. It is literally Amazon and third party sellers clearing out old stock to start making space for new, holiday stock.

Sure, there are a small selection of good deals, but overall it is a joke. Don’t fall for the marketing.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2019 ---
    Hard to beat prices because they tend to sell items for a loss...

24. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

this has been the case for all sales since time immemorial, it doesnt mean prime day doesnt exist it means caveat emptor which is why people are talking about the best way to find the Prime in prime day.

25. Think creative macrumors regular

I'm in the market for a cheap external hard drive. I can hold off till prime day to see if they drop another ten bucks. Might as well wait and see :)