American Idol 2008

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Feb 26, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OK, I know- everyone is over it. But David Archuleta is unbelievable. It's like a 50 year-old man singing through a 17 year old. He did John Lennon's Imagine tonight and I was close to tears. This kid is so born to sing it's almost disgusting. I've never seen that kind of natural talent on Idol before. He got a huge standing ovation and it was well deserved. Every once in while, someone like this shows up in the world. We should all pay attention.

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I would have to agree. David is actually really talented, especially considering he had a paralyzed vocal cord, and didn't have surgery, like his doctor recommended. If anyones interested it's already on YouTube. Gotta love the Interweb. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIuMcL4Kz44

Also a great version of Bryan Adams - Heaven - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtT-R1AHzA

P.S. WTF is up with Paula? "David you are ridiculous. I wanted to squish you, squeeze your head off and dangle you from my rear view mirror" LOL She's nuts (or drunk) (or both) :)

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yep. As (at least) one of the judges mentioned last night, David is far and away the best one in it this season (of the girls and boys). That of course ensures that he will not win American Idol. ;)

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

He was just okay....

no j/k, that guy was terrific. His voice is clear as a bell. A true natural.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG! We agree again! I just looked out the window and saw a pig in the sky. :)

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Great performance, and it's already on my iPod. :)

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I too am guilty! I also downloaded it. As far as I'm concerned, they should just cancel the rest of the show and give the whole thing to this kid. I don't think he can be beaten.

8. xodonniedarko macrumors 6502

xodonniedarko

Not to mention he is so freaking cute! And humble! As a 17 year old girl, I am definitely crazy for the kid. His smile just gets you so happy, and the way he blushes and crap when he gets compliments. Oh yes, and he can definitely sing his brains out. It almost made me cry.

He'll win.
    Or at least make the top 2.
    Mark my words!

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

he's alright i guess. i think he just sung "Imagine" a little too slow

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm only interested in watching the girls perform. ;)

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Unfortunately, the girls suck except for Carly. She knocked "Crazy on You" out of the park last night. The rest of them are boring as hell, which is weird. The girls usually rule on Idol, but not this year.

12. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Maybe a bit slow indeed. Also, why does every American Idol contestant think that the song they are singing needs to be a coloratura version of the original? "Imagine", as per the original recording and based off the lyrics, needs no extra ornamentation.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I know what you mean, but in his case I thought it worked well. I usually hate it when singers do that. But for me, his version came across as genuine and heartfelt. I believed it.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I haven't watched Idol as much yet this year. I'll get into as the season gets deeper. The whole show is starting to get stale IMO.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I do have to agree with that- especially watching the girls this year. Surely we have more talented women in America! After watching them last night, I'll be skipping the girls' nights form here on out.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the whole show in general has lost something. I used to enjoy watching the auditions but now it is stupid and just a freak show. We get that Simon is a prick and Paula is a drunk and Randy doesn't have a soul, all he says is, "it as aight" say something constructive. I want judges to actually judge not pony up to the cameras.

I also question sometimes what kind of Producer Simon is. Does he not hear the same thing I do. I know he has to do the record companies bidding but what is wrong with old fashion, It is better then the crap today.

17. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I can respect that, although I do disgree.:p Different strokes for different folks.

Personally, I think if he stuck to a more "traditional" vocal rendition of the song and instead changed the instrumentals, maybe to build more as the song progresses, which could lead nicely into him taking certain cadential phrases up an octave and/or then embellishing a certain note. As a occasional Idol flipper (being if I flip by it I typically stop for a few minutes) I am not sure how much control the singers have over the arrangements.

But what am I to expect from a show where the judges use the term "pitchy" in reference to the contestant's performances.:p

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ya what the hell is pitchy, it is either sharp flat or out of tune.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You just defined "pitchy". ;)

20. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

You know, I was kinda hoping she'd sing Carly Simon since her name is so similar (Carly Smithson). :p

As for David Archuleta, I don't think there's any catching him at this point.

21. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

But the judges should be a bit more specific, i.e. "When you sing louder you tend to be sharp" or "Towards the end of the song you tended to be flat".

And quite honestly, when they occasionally do mention being sharp or flat, (which the typically refer to as high or low, which is totally incorrect), they are sometimes obviously wrong. Maybe they prefer people to sing in one of the various tuning systems other than equal temperament or just intonation? Take into consideration that my typical music listening is quite a bit different than that of American Idol.

22. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Me neither. I don't like the music on that show. I just like to see people do well.

And I'm sure that there are plenty of vocal coaches to help them over the week.

23. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

True. I just wish that more beneficial, correct criticism would happen on the televised bits of the show.

Oh, and I do like Carly as well.:D

24. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I love David Archuleta, he is sweet, cute, and can sing :)

It was weird, I hated the performance of the first guy on Tuesday (Michael Johns) - I thought the judges were going to rip him apart for being pitchy but they loved it :confused:

25. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Ryan Seacrest rocks. He is the best thing about the show :)