Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
Really? Dont see me use it often. In public I dont want to talk to my phone, in the car you have to look for it and push buttons (w7 mango does this a lot better) At home perhaps but not often.

SInce you have a mobile phone pressumably you talk to it already in public?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Except that BBM is tied only to blackberries. iMessage will span all your iDevices running iOS 5...And maybe even eventually Mac Computers.

I'm confused. BBM is tied to BlackBerry devices, and iMessage is tied to Apple devices. What's the difference?

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
2 things

Siri and the new camera are the only two things I'm looking forward to on the updated iPhone. I was hoping for a bigger screen, but will wait patiently for 2012. Maybe these two things will be enough to pry me away from droid, but then again, I might just continue to wait. As long as I get iOS 5 on my iPad and can sell my Xoom for a decent price, I can live without the iPhone for the immediate future. Let the bidding wars begin for the holiday season!

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
If I ask the thing how many "tablespoons are in a cup" I don't want to *see* the conversion I want to *hear* the conversion.

If the question/answer works like the demo video I don't see this thing being useful.

The current iphone will say what's on the screen so I would be surprised if it does not do this. You can have an entire webpage read to you...

saandeep

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Will Siri be intelligent enough to find out which gas stations have the cheapest price points?

Will siri be helpful enough to find me a local deal?

I also own a small business and this will be a ground breaking feature for me.

If not, apple can take it back.

There are apps for that.. "Gas Buddy" and "Red Laser".. You can't expect one app to perform everything for you.. I'm just glad that you didn't want Siri to play Angry Birds for you..

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
Typical algorithm used by Android owners to post comments at MacRumors:

1. Find: an impossible and pointless thing that the iDevice can't do
2. State: "If the {iDevice} can't do {impossible task} then it's {epic fail\won't buy\buy an android instead}
3. Look: like an idiot

I like apple and I want the same thing he wants. I want it to be SMART... not just an advanced selection of things. I want to be able to set multiple alarms in one command.

(no one has said, "Siri, Reserve a table for two at Kyo Sushi Bar for 7")

Siri "Done"

"thanks Siri")

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
If I ask the thing how many "tablespoons are in a cup" I don't want to *see* the conversion I want to *hear* the conversion.

If the question/answer works like the demo video I don't see this thing being useful.

There has to be a first step. The first cell phone was huge, no battery life, expensive and not practical. I'm sure if forums like this existed back then there would have been plenty of people saying "this isn't very useful." Just wait.

LordTyroxx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
What about college students? Can I set classes with siri or will I have to call all my classes appointments or meetings?

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I wonder if it will incorporate system functions in the future, like: "resolve the two contact entries for Mike, update his address to 1234 Main and delete the yahoo email account."

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
no im not gonna talk to my phone like a dumbass on the street, i can check the clock and weather myself

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
SInce you have a mobile phone pressumably you talk to it already in public?

The person on the other end is a device? I did not know that. All this time I thought we were taking to people via phones. Thanks for the clarification.

----------

no im not gonna talk to my phone like a dumbass on the street, i can check the clock and weather myself

Oh, but its a GAME CHANGER!

...because it has a logo of the holy grail half bitten apple.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Since you still have to "activate" siri - there are still clicks of the button. It's not like Siri is "always listening"

So for some tasks - it's just as fast to click on the app.

And I am guessing - since you'll want to proof read emails, txts, etc - you'll still need to look at the screen and then click something to "send" (the dictation part)

It's intriguing technology - but it's not going to make you "hands free" for much of what many will use it for. In which case - it's not much better (for dictation) than Dragon or Vlingo.

For the AI stuff like setting alarms, reminders, mapping, etc - it's "cool" I guess. I'm just not all that into talking to my phone. And Siri certainly isn't "board room" friendly.

AnimaLeo

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Siri comes with support for UK English, according to the keynote.

There's a huge difference in the English accent from north to south. He comes from the north as do I, and you probably wouldn't understand a good portion of what I was saying if I didn't make a conscious effort to speak in a more accent neutral way.

LordTyroxx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2008
The person on the other end is a device? I did not know that. All this time I thought we were taking to people via phones. Thanks for the clarification.

Would other people care two ***** about who/what you are talking to on the phone?

Gooberton

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Lol. That's funny... I'll give you an example though... The other day I went home from work and was supposed to call my wife when I was leaving the house a couple hours later because she was going to meet me at a restaurant.... I forgot to call her and when I got to the restaurant I remembered and I had to wait for her for like 20 minutes. I can just say "remind me to call my wife when I leave home"

;-)

how would it know you left home?:confused:

tim916

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
I wonder if/when this will be implemented into the mac. I'd like to be able just to ask my computer what the weather is or sports score etc.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
What is the supposed "FaceTime route"? I use FaceTime daily to video chat with friends at other colleges and my family back home. It's really nice to actually get to see people.

Also - Siri is absolutely mind-blowing. Studying computer science, I find beauty and elegance in a lot of advanced software. OSs, compilers, etc., are all incredibly complex and work wonderfully given that complexity. Part of the elegance comes from my imagination running away with how these things are implemented/coded, and how efficiently and cleverly it must be done. But the truly magical products are those that I can't even begin to imagine how to implement. They just work, and even after years of study, I don't quite understand how. That's the way I look at Siri, and I absolutely cannot wait to try it out.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

I want this on my iPad and Mac as well if not what is the point... I would also like to name it. "Jarvis, how are my palladium levels?"

No really I'd name her pepper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.