Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L1N3ARX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
I was one of those non-believers who mocked the ipad from day 1. An oversized ipod and for $500 no less. It just seemed retarded to me. Why not just by a netbook or a full out notebook for less?

I'm into comics, I like reading, I'm guilty of passing endless hours casually surfing the web and abuse netflix like nobody else out there. Yet I could not see any value in an ipad... overcoming my objections wasn't easy, but needless to say I am now an ipad owner.

Has anyone ever gotten that awkward feeling when you've been put in your place by undeniable proof? Or, you're just embarrassed because perhaps you spoke to soon, or didn't have all the facts to make an informed opinion? Well yeah.. thats how I feel.

The iPad is unreal. This 10 inch slab of awesomeness has already over night revolutionized how I read books, comics, and surf the net among many other things. Tap and interact. God, this is just awesome. There are times when you need a "real" computer / physical keyboard and then there's every other time... which is at about 95% for me. My iPad has not ceased to put a grin across my face. To think I used to depend on a laptop for such menial tasks. Anyone else feel the same way? Sorry I guess I am just too excited about my new toy.

CXsjr

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2007
Scotland, UK
Congratulations on proving yourself wrong!

I too was a non believer, that was until I walked into the :apple: store on Regent Street 2 days after launch .... picked up a display model and within 30 seconds, I was at the back of a 2½ hour queue to buy mine!

It has proved invaluable - completely different uses to you mind. Obviously surfing the net is a big plus but we tend to take ours on long trips abroad and I download several TV dramas (via EyeTV) that we'd never get the time to watch at home and we watch them on the flight.

I can see it being an expensive obsession though, I'm worried that I'll need (want) the latest model every time they release an update!

andrewsd

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
USA/BAYERN(bavaria)
me too

I felt that since I have a MacBook and an iPhone 4 why bother with the iPad but I defiantly want one now and i can delay the purchase of a new MacBook plus mine still gets the job done. I'm going to wait for the second revision though as it I am already this late to the game. Plus am I the only one that hopes it doesn't have a rear camera?

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I felt that since I have a MacBook and an iPhone 4 why bother with the iPad but I defiantly want one now and i can delay the purchase of a new MacBook plus mine still gets the job done. I'm going to wait for the second revision though as it I am already this late to the game. Plus am I the only one that hopes it doesn't have a rear camera?

If it has a rear camera and you don't want it, don't use it!

gecis

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I was one of those non-believers who mocked the ipad from day 1. An oversized ipod and for $500 no less. It just seemed retarded to me. Why not just by a netbook or a full out notebook for less?

I'm into comics, I like reading, I'm guilty of passing endless hours casually surfing the web and abuse netflix like nobody else out there. Yet I could not see any value in an ipad... overcoming my objections wasn't easy, but needless to say I am now an ipad owner.

Has anyone ever gotten that awkward feeling when you've been put in your place by undeniable proof? Or, you're just embarrassed because perhaps you spoke to soon, or didn't have all the facts to make an informed opinion? Well yeah.. thats how I feel.

The iPad is unreal. This 10 inch slab of awesomeness has already over night revolutionized how I read books, comics, and surf the net among many other things. Tap and interact. God, this is just awesome. There are times when you need a "real" computer / physical keyboard and then there's every other time... which is at about 95% for me. My iPad has not ceased to put a grin across my face. To think I used to depend on a laptop for such menial tasks. Anyone else feel the same way? Sorry I guess I am just too excited about my new toy.

Dude count me in. I was in the exact situation as you. I was a total non believer. I was so against the iPad , hell you could've even called me an infidel. Well one day I converted and its been happy five months and counting. Just love this thing.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
congrats dude! I was skeptical at first as well. But i got one on Black Friday and haven't been able to put it down since then :) I ain't giving up my mac pro but this baby is smokin'

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I got the 32 GB+3G model and have been very happy with it. Yeah, there are still a few missing features I'd like. I'd really like a common file "dropbox" without having to run extra apps. Manage photo collection... especially with camera kit imports (sync changes the same way contacts update), etc. But a really great device without a doubt.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I was one of those who said that the iPad was an iPod touch on steroids. Basically a big iPod touch.

How wrong I was. Loving my iPad.

Oh, and FWIW, a liberal dose of spices definitely makes crow taste better! :D

ExnomenDei

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2010
I was one of those who said that the iPad was an iPod touch on steroids. Basically a big iPod touch.

Oh, and FWIW, a liberal dose of spices definitely makes crow taste better! :D

I don't know what is wrong with calling an iPad a bug iPod Touch or an iPod Touch on steroids. It is exactly how I consider mine to work and behave, and I love the thing. I am sending this post from one, nonetheless.

What is wrong, in my opinion, is discounting the thing because it is a big iPod Touch. Because of the fact that it is one, it is quite smply awesome. The OS is really good for mobile use and the keyboard, while not perfect, is quite simply amazing once you get the hang of it. I can find myself typing quite quickly on it, and I do not even use autocorrect.

That said, I would like to see iOS grow to something more powerful than it is right now. It still misses a few beats here and there, like with file management and notifications.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Obvious answer.. And I wouldn't use it.. Have fun taking a photo with a 10 inch camera.. I'll stick to my slr.

Good for you.

It isn't like an iPad with a camera is going to suddenly make your big boy slr cease functioning. So why complain if apple chooses to include a rear camera?

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
If it has a rear camera and you don't want it, don't use it!

I can't wait for the day the iPad comes out with a rear facing camera and many of those who cried for it loudest then scream "the iPad is too heavy/awkward/large to use as a camera" at which point I will laugh maniacally at the stupidity of my fellow humans after declaring "I told you so". Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefit of a back facing camera, but it would be only for odd occaisonal use. However, I get the impression that many feel that they "need" a back facing camera as adding the ability to shoot video and countless high resolution pictures would validate the ipads existence, whilst every other feature is only a distraction from the iPads destiny as a camera.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Add another one here who was an unbeliever. When the iPad was first announced, I was disappointed because it ran iOS rather than OS X. I couldn't see the point in what I thought was just a big iPod touch. However, after doing some more research and waiting 6 months, I decided to give it a go.

I am only too happy to admit I was completely wrong and Apple really do know what they are doing: iOS is perfect for the iPad because you get great performance and a fantastic user experience. The extra screen real estate makes the iPad way, way more than a big iPod touch and it is, quite simply, a revolutionary device that I would never be without now.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London

Actually you weren't wrong.

It just turns out that an iPod Touch with an almost 10" screen is just so much better in so many ways (as long as you don't need to carry it in your pocket).

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
Tbh, I felt the same way after the January announcement. Sometime between then and 4am the morning of the launch, I changed my mind and headed over to the Apple store to queue up and purchase my WifiPad.

It's funny, I've even gone through my Twitter timeline around that time, and to see all my silly tweets (about the name, use, etc) just puts a smile on my face :) <like that

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Well, I didn't see the point of the iPad, then I tried a friends iPad, and I still don't see the point of the iPad. For me it's a useless device with limited functions I do not want or need. I also don't want or need an iPhone. But of course it's fine that others enjoy theirs. To each their own.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
Actually you weren't wrong.

It just turns out that an iPod Touch with an almost 10" screen is just so much better in so many ways (as long as you don't need to carry it in your pocket).

I will never understand why iPad owners get so worked up over referring to the iPad as a big iPod Touch. They share the same feature set and the only thing different is the size. Granted, the newest-generation iPod Touch has more features than a current-gen iPad but that wasn't the case when it was first released.

The only difference between an iPad and an iPod Touch is that the size increase makes it far more usable/acceptable to a much wider audience. Grandma would never use an iPod Touch for book reading/surfing the web. She will welcome an iPad.

But functionally, one is the larger brother of the other. No shame in the comparison whatsoever.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I will never understand why iPad owners get so worked up over referring to the iPad as a big iPod Touch.

Objectively speaking, of course the iPad is a giant iPod touch. It's just that, about the thousand and one-th time someone comes up to you and says, "Why did you buy an iPad? It's just a big iPod touch!" -- it gets just a tinnny bit annoying. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I was the same with the iPod touch, then I changed my mind. As for the iPad it's a superb device, almost ready to purchase then Apple bring out the 11" MBA and the decision got more complication.

I'll get one of them eventually (possibly both)

Last edited:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I was also a bit of a disbeliever in the iPad. Looked cool. Seemed cool. But as for practical, I just couldn't figure that part out. However, as I went through the available apps, played with a few that other people had, etc., I realized that it had a real place to go with my MacBook.

I completely don't see it as a "big brother" to the iPhone or iPod, even though it is to some degree. The size simply makes it so much better from a device usability standpoint. Sure, I can't carry it in my pocket, but that isn't my target use. The video, apps, etc., are fantastic. Glad I got one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff42037

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2008
I tend to agree nobody needs an iPad.... it's just a toy.... It does nothing that I couldn't live without. I made it 22 years without needing an iPad.

entwife

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
My girlfriend wanted one and said it was pointless and it didn't nothing more than my iPhone and in fact even did less. I then had a go on one and couldn't get over how much better iOS is on a bigger screen and so bought one.

Its a luxury product, I don't think that can be argued as it does nothing I can't do on my iPhone but it does the main things so much better (web/email/pictures in particular).

It's one of the biggest surprises in recent computing for me, I completely dismissed it but then had a go with one and was so impressed.

I wasn't swayed by the advertising ( in fact I cant stand apples new pretentious adverts- which iPad took to another level), I made up my own mind and bought it because I like it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.