Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

An Upgraded G4 MDD

Amethyst1

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2015
Microsoft sells software and services. To sell those to the widest consumer base possible it has to make it work on almost every conceivable system out there,
And after the spectacular failure known as Windows Phone (which was a good OS IMHO), they had better ensure their stuff works damn well on Android and iOS :p

Amethyst1

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2015
I'll do it on my "mighty" 2.33ghz core duo mini later this day - I got 2935 in gb 2.4.3 (natively). :)

Native:

gb227native.png

Rosetta:

gb227ppc.png

Something's telling me I should redo this after putting in that 1.46 GHz single-core Celeron M :p
[automerge]1600445622[/automerge]
My HTC Touch Pro is still waiting for the next Windows 6.1 Pro mobile update…
I'm sure there's an unofficial Windows Mobile 6.5 port to it somewhere :)

repairedCheese

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 13, 2020
Apple sells hardware and uses it's OS and services to entice you (or force you) to buy that hardware. Microsoft sells software and services. To sell those to the widest consumer base possible it has to make it work on almost every conceivable system out there, including older systems. While MS does sells some hardware they aren't Apple. All Apple has to focus on is making it's OS and services work with a range of current devices.

That's the difference.
Well it clearly doesn't work all of the time, or we wouldn't be here. :p

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Well it clearly doesn't work all of the time, or we wouldn't be here. :p
No, LOL! :D

But that's the choice. We choose to either create workarounds or use different services. For instance, I use Google's services because way back in 2012 when I started using the iPhone, Apple was at the end of supporting PowerPC. With the launch of the iPhone 5 (my first purchased iPhone) I had no way of connecting and syncing with my Macs. So, I worked around Apple.

r6mile

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
So for the sake of it, I finally installed Snow Leopard (natively) in my 8-core 2008 Mac Pro, and ran the same exercise; ie Geekbench 2 both natively 64-bit and under Rosetta.

It beats my 2012 Mac mini by about 10% - advantages of not having to virtualise Snow Leopard, as well as the sheer number of cores I suppose.

Screen shot 2020-10-06 at 14.42.14.png

r6mile

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
@r6mile
What VM software are you using? The difference seems much bigger than it should be.

If you look on Everymac, on Geekbench the 2012 i7 Mini and the Mac Pro 3,1 8-core 3.2 are pretty close in terms of scores. So it doesn't surprise me to see those numbers tbh.

I am using VMware (which is now free on Catalina).

Reactions: timidpimpin

timidpimpin

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
If you look on Everymac, on Geekbench the 2012 i7 Mini and the Mac Pro 3,1 8-core 3.2 are pretty close in terms of scores. So it doesn't surprise me to see those numbers tbh.

I am using VMware (which is now free on Catalina).
My perception is that VMware does 2D acceleration much better than other VM software, so that's why the difference seems big to me. I would expect those results from running macOS in VirtualBox. But also, Geekbench doesn't test graphics, so that point of mine is useless. HAHA

Reactions: r6mile

jmilan0302

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2019
I've actually been looking for that, it would make running 10.6 in a VM much easier. Otherwise it's low powered newer laptop Intel chips, or high powered older laptop Intel chips. Either way, my Ryzen powered desktop is faster.
Hazdard 10.6 ISO has a kernel which runs fine in VMWare on Ryzen though. Can't remember which one it is though.

Reactions: repairedCheese
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.