Analyst Claims September Launch for New iPod Touch, Smaller iPod Nano, Two New MacBook Air Models

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barron's reports on a new research note from BMO Capital analyst Keith Bachman claiming multiple new product releases for Apple next month, including several iPods as expected and two new MacBook Air models said to be scheduled to ship in high volumes.

For Apple's iPod line, Bachman reports that the company will launch a new iPod touch, as well as a smaller iPod nano that could see the elimination of the iPod shuffle.
For starters, he sees the company launching two new iPods in September - a new Touch, and a new Nano. He says the Nano will be "much smaller" than past versions, and won't have a physical track wheel.
The elimination of a physical navigation wheel would imply a move to a touch screen, and it is unclear what sort of interface Apple would use on such a device. A claimed 1.7-inch Apple touch screen surfaced early last month, but that screen would be significantly smaller than the current iPod nano's 2.2-inch screen and its square aspect ratio would be a very significant departure from the current iPod nano's widescreen display useful for handling video shot with the device's integrated camera.

Bachman also matter-of-factly reports that Apple will launch two new MacBook Air models next month.
"We are not yet clear on all the specs, but supply chain checks suggest that unit shipments of the new Air products could far exceed the current Air, which we believe could suggest lower starting prices," he writes.
According to our Buyer's Guide, the MacBook Air is long overdue for an update, having last seen a refresh in June 2009. One report has claimed that the MacBook Air will see a shift to an 11.6-inch display from the current 13.3-inch screen size in a revision set to debut before the end of the year.

Article Link: Analyst Claims September Launch for New iPod Touch, Smaller iPod Nano, Two New MacBook Air Models

naco

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2006
LA area
I for one am ALL for the smaller MacBook Air. It'll let me switch back my Macbook Mini to Windows to serve other duties.

Apple, stop with making things thinner. The air is already underpowered and overpriced.
We are not yet clear on all the specs, but supply chain checks suggest that unit shipments of the new Air products could far exceed the current Air, which we believe could suggest lower starting prices
:rolleyes:

Edit: I will also note that I predicted a smaller "netbook" like laptop from Apple a long time ago by means of fitting a standard apple keyboard within a slightly larger then 10" wide confinement.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The most sense in my view would be:

* A non-iOS touchscreen nano. Similar UI, maybe a few games like the Clickwheel iPods had, but no need for a lot of graphics power or complicating iOS development with another screen size. (But it would be interesting if they want all the way and used iOS.)

* Scrap the Classic and offer one thicker Touch model that has a spinning HD.

* New Touch of course (FaceTime and retina display please! Rear-facing camera? Maybe but it would add to the cost.)

* Lowest-end Touch would still be like the current model, as Apple has done in the past.

None of which interests me because all I want is that new MacBook Air :)

Schizoid

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
UK
aaah, another "analyst"... Apple to release new Macs and iPods... great stuff

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Rumored 1.7" screen? It was a 3cm screen--quite a bit smaller.

The MBAir is far overpriced. Good, if this rumor is true.

Eliminating the shuffle would be silly since it's a gateway device to the young and poor getting familiar with Apple product and software. It was good enough in Gen 2 and should be continued at ever reducing prices.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Like it or not, the air is a sexy laptop.

Apple's "hobbies" can produce some nice products.

I feel though that the main limitation in all Apple products is the cooling; if they could get this down I think all product lines would be a lot nicer.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
11.6 inch screen? If its got a 1280x800 resolution and cost $800, i would buy it
Me too. As it is now it's positioned as just a slightly lighter (and underpowered) 13 in MBP. An 11 inter would hit a sweet spot with the keyboard demanding market yet justify the subpro performance.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I like what this analyst predicts, but he's just an analyst.

iPod Nano
iPod Touch
iPad
iPhone

Seems like a suitable line-up.

shingi70

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
They should go back to the 2nd gen shuffle and give the 3rd gen headphones that wuld be the perfect workout combo.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
11.6 inch screen? If its got a 1280x800 resolution and cost $800, i would buy it
with intel Low Voltage CPUs costing Apple any where between $200 to $300 - the $800 MBA not viable, unless APPLE go Pentium Low Voltage or ARM CPUs.

street price for such CPUs (the ones used in MBA) are $330!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Apple, stop with making things thinner. The air is already underpowered and overpriced.
Agreed, I'm all for thin laptops, but when it gets to the point that you're sacrificing hardware ability that's a pretty poor show, but I guess consumers will vote with their wallet.

The click wheel, don't get rid of it apple. Touchscreen during running sucks
I know right? It's such a simple thing to operate, I've tried answering a phone call whilst running on my iphone, it's so hard to be accurate enough to correctly slide, then I hung up whilst I was putting it to my ear :rolleyes: