AnandTech Calls A12 Bionic in iPhone XS 'Just Margins Off' Best Desktop CPUs in New Review

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 5, 2018.

1. vagos macrumors member

vagos

Great to see iOS 12 heavily improved A9 performance.
    Go iPhone SE !!!

2. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

• Display driver IC
    • Out-cell touch layer

There's more to the display power consumption than just the type of panel.

3. justme1 macrumors member

Working fine for me in Mojave - who says it isn’t?

4. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

Oh, but it doesn't. Every OLED smartphone (that I'm aware of) uses a pentile display so there are approximate five sub pixels for every two (or three) actual pixels. That's the big reason Apple HAD to go 3x. So yeah, in RAM there's more pixels but with an black screen would it idle at 3X the power? Seems off.

5. JPack macrumors 601

JPack

That has nothing to do with panel power consumption.

People forget about the OLED display driver and the touch layer. Those are active components that draw power regardless of the state of the display panel.

Tap to Wake requires power even on a blank screen.

6. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Very impressive. Wondering when they are going to drop Intel...

7. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I'm really eager to see the A12X in the new iPads - should be monstrous... of course, having them running MacOS where the power can be truly leveraged would be where things start to get truly impressive :)

8. chabig macrumors 603

Come on. You know iOS already has multitasking. What's needed for users is a suitable interface, which doesn't exist on a phone-sized display. What do you propose?

9. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

^This ^
    However, there are some benchmarks from the A11: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-benchmarks-fastest-phone,review-4676.html

Frankly, with those numbers it's not a question if but rather when OSX will transition from x86. I think the only big deal right now might be how to preserve backward compatibility. The expensive option would be adding in a cheap x86 CPU as co processor, but if Apple manages to hardware accelerate the x86 emulation that might be a good way. Microsoft tried that too, but in software called x86 on ARM, which works (with limitations) but is rather slow. But even software emulation may still be enough for some low performance apps.

10. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I wish we knew more about how the Ax chips were designed. Back in the old PowerPC/Intel wars, we'd get detailed reports about how architecture changes improved performance in different ways-- now it's just a black box to benchmark.

I'm sure there's a ton of innovation happening to achieve these levels of performance/efficiency, but somehow it's less exciting without being able to see behind the curtain.

11. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

Where would this be against the Intel i7 or i9 models out now?

Can A12 run a MacBook Pro?

12. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

No, it doesn't. And it can't because it would need at least double the RAM.
    You can have exactly 2 Apps running in foreground, everything in the background is halted -and what you see is only a screenshot until the App fully loads and refreshes.

13. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Looking forward to the redesigned Mac Pro.

Yes, I mean exactly what you think I mean. Why else would it take them so many years? 2019 is 2006 again.

14. FFR Suspended

FFR

15. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

That certainly would be a way to get the transition off to a flying start :D I've no doubt they could ship something truly mind blowing given 10s of watts rather than >10!

16. Feenician macrumors 603

Feenician

Simply not true. iPads have had true multitasking in split view for years with the same amount of RAM as these phones.

17. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

The reason these “phones” are $1000+ Stop complaining about the price it’s a high end computer in hand, don’t like it. Pick yourself up a Walmart senior citizen flip phone for $59 bucks.

18. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

New Mac Pros and Mac Minis are coming. I think the iMac Pro was made to hold people over. There is no reason they shouldn't have been able to upgrade the Mac Pro and Mac Mini by now unless they were overhauling the architecture. Then there is the marzipan convergence in 2019 to make it easy to bring UIKit to macOS. Why both in 2019? Everyone just wants to focus on the performance of this one chip. But we may be looking at this all wrong. What if this A12 beast is more equivalent to a wimpy i3 and Apple has a version for the Mac Pro that's more equivalent to an i9 or Threadripper, except even more powerful? Think about what you could do with these kind of TDPs on desktop. Holy balls!

19. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

Wwdc next year would be the perfect time for them to release a mac pro with both a beefy ass intel x86 cpu and an a12 that would act as a coprocessor and development environment for mac os marzipan and native arm apps of the future

20. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

In Geekbench 4, it scores ~4790 in single-core and ~11000 in multi-core (using six cores).

For comparison, the 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro's i7-8750H does 4635 in single-core, and the 2016 15-inch MacBook Pro's i7-6700HQ did ~11700 in multi-core (using four cores).

21. now i see it macrumors 68040

As much as these benchmarks seem impressive and undoubtably the A12 is... Has anyone ever used an iOS app that is "jaw dropping" or requires the need of such CPU performance?

It seems that now, the limitation to the iPhone & iPad isn't hardware, it's software.

22. chucker23n1 macrumors 68020

chucker23n1

I mean… my 2002 iBook ran OS X with 128 MB RAM, and it sure as hell did multitask.

As does an iPhone. It has literally dozens of processes running at any given time.

Yes, this is true, but it's largely a deliberate design decision in the UI, not a hardware limitation.

Now, obviously multiple simultaneous GUI apps will require more resources, but it won't require "double the RAM".

23. dwaite macrumors regular

dwaite

No. You don't put two parallel System-on-chips in a device.

More likely would be an A12X with more high power and GPU cores.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2018 ---
    Err, what?

24. [AUT] Thomas macrumors 6502

Performance wise yes!
    Practically: No. At least not yet.
    While the A11 already achieved >10k in geekbench, an i5 7th gen scores less than 10k.
    However, these CPUs are optimized for phones and tables. Not sure how much changes will be necessary to add 32GB of RAM, PCIe, SATA, USB,... Anyway, ARM CPUs are getting faster a lot quicker than intels, not just Apples Axx.
    If you quote me, please do it right. I literally wrote below that statement:
    You can have exactly 2 Apps running in foreground, everything in the background is halted -and what you see is only a screenshot until the App fully loads and refreshes.
    iOS can't minimize Apps properly. I have an iPad Mini 4 and running split screen easily pushes the iPad to its limits. Granted, the Mini only has 2G RAM, the XS already 4, so will do the job better, but even 4 likely isn't enough. There's a reason Safari on iOS unloads unused tabs.

For now it'd be great if the XS Max would finally get landscape mode and some other tablet style features... The strongest hardware is useless if it's crippled by the software.

25. AngerDanger, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

It always amuses me how much these macro shots of CPUs look like floor plans.

As nice as the A12 is, it's missing a decorative peice that pulls the whole thing together, like a fountain.

fountain2.gif