Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
$3,499.00 is all you need to get the "Max", with enough memory and storage for gaming.

Or $3,099.00 if you buy the smaller one.

I would still not buy it just for that, because there are not enough games or optimized games.
But it is almost half the price you mentioned.
I figured that if someone was going to shoot high, they would shoot for the moon. Hence I quoted the price of the maxed out laptop.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
I'm going to give a little pushback in that EA Sports has released a AAA title on Apple Arcade in NBA2K22. If EA can do this and they get traction, why not port other titles to Apple Arcade?
This could be true.
The dev I got stats from worked on FPS.
I think that's one of the issues with gaming, that there are multiple subfields, and people in one space frequently insist on speaking as though they speak for the entire community. It may be that "sports" type games better lend themselves to this sort of porting than FPS? And MMORPG are especially problematic insofar as there's kinda a necessity to keep everyone more or less in sync (both literally and as a consequence figuratively).

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Absolutely yes! Renee Ritchie showed a 4K video export that previously took 23mins on the top end 16”MBP which now takes <7mins (h264) on the top end 14” M1 Max whilst using next to no battery. It took <3mins when encoded in ProRes vs 28mins. This is faster than a 12c Mac Pro with Afterburner at >4x the cost of the M1 Max MBP

That will save video professionals so much time which equates to $$$. Things that could only be done in a studio can now be done on site in front of the customer. For pros, the M1 Max MBP’s will pay for themselves in a couple of months, probably sooner.

View attachment 1879909

What I said was not a question that required an answer! It was a rhetorical question as to how the MARKET Apple is addressing views various expansion dimensions.
No-one is denying that some users value the Pro and Max as currently configured. But are those "optimal" configurations, in the sense that Apple would see little interest (not enough to justify the work) in the equivalent of say an M1 Pro but with 4 clusters rather than 2? That's my point -- Apple is feeling their way into how much the market values each of P cores vs GPU vs extra DRAM.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
I don't think Apple is going into "low cost" MacBook Pro 16" gaming no, at least not for 10 years. But we'll be able to buy expensive laptops, LOL (but isn't that what gamers who play on a PC laptop do?). But the AppleTV will shine.
oh, I don’t think they’ll make games exclusive to ATV. Games will have to work everywhere, like it is now.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
The only advantage that Apple Arcade has is the entire iOS infrastructure. A game developer designing a game for the iPhone can get the Mac OS version of the game pretty much for free compared the the overall cost of development.

But you still aren't going to get the AAA games because they aren't designed for iOS to begin with unless they are ported a few years later to squeeze out a few more bucks in another market.
EA released NBA2K22 on Apple Arcade. That’s AAA.

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Why don’t you watch his review and find out? Both 4K ProRes and h264 encodes with a 19min 10bit input and a mix of gnarly codecs such as XF AVC, Dolby Vision iPhone and Cannon 8k. 4x faster on h264, 10x faster on ProRes whilst using only 10% battery life vs 75% on the Intel machines (even those including the T2 chip with hardware encoder).

There’s many YouTube reviews showing the same….video editors are gobsmacked at what these new M1 Max machines are capable of….when they make statements such as “this is faster than my $15k 18c Mac Pro with Afterburner and 192Gb”, you can guarantee that this is a paradigm shift for many pros. What previously needed a desktop computer and an office can now be done mobile, on battery in the client’s office.

Rene "The Shill" Richie. He‘s an Apple mouthpiece—-biggest Apple shill on the net and it’s not close.

k27

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2018
Europe
Why don’t you watch his review and find out? Both 4K ProRes and h264 encodes with a 19min 10bit input and a mix of gnarly codecs such as XF AVC, Dolby Vision iPhone and Cannon 8k. 4x faster on h264, 10x faster on ProRes whilst using only 10% battery life vs 75% on the Intel machines (even those including the T2 chip with hardware encoder).

There’s many YouTube reviews showing the same….video editors are gobsmacked at what these new M1 Max machines are capable of….when they make statements such as “this is faster than my $15k 18c Mac Pro with Afterburner and 192Gb”, you can guarantee that this is a paradigm shift for many pros. What previously needed a desktop computer and an office can now be done mobile, on battery in the client’s office.

I rarely watch YouTubers because many YouTubers are not experts (rather the opposite) but just fanboys with little knowledge but lots of viewers.

The issue of quality and file size is usually ignored in such "tests" (many of the "testers" are not even aware that there are differences in the result apart from the speed), although there can be huge differences. They only look at the speed of the encoding. That is all.

It has always been the case that hardware encoders are super fast, but the results (quality, file size) are mediocre to lousy. NVENC seems to be a positive exception.

Of course, you have to compare the hardware encoders against the really good software encoders (i.e. for H.264 you take x264, for H.265 you take x265) and not against mediocre to bad software encoders (typically the stuff that Apple, Adobe & Co include with their Pro software).

These "great" YouTuber have not paid attention even before. Here in the forum, on the other hand, there are people who pay attention.

"Seeing exact same thing. I haven't compared the VT vs x265 quality yet extensively but eye test, the VT version had to be encoded at 8K+ BR to yield comparable quality to x265 which was closer to 2K BR. And of course the resulting 9GB file vs 2.3GB file."

"H.265 (VideoToolbox [= HardwareEncoder])'s quality is significantly worse than the quality of the same size H.264 (x264). But I thought this was to be expected? Note however that I'm on an intel Mac and I can not use the CQ slider. I am forced to use constant bitrate which affects video quality significantly."

"I think that a visual quality of hardware video encoder (VideoToolBox H.264) in M1 Macs is not great.

I compared a software libx264 encoder (Mac) and NVIDIA Geforce (NVENC) on Windows 10 with the same bitrate or constant quality mode producing almost identical file size.

I see many visual artefacts on a video encoded with VideoToolBox H.264 (1080p 60 fps) 3300K or CQ56. It's especially noticeable on video with animated photo slideshows and blur effect. Too many artefacts. NVENC and libx264 produce much better visual results with the same file size."

So if speed is all that matters to you, then hardware encoding is the way to go. If you are also concerned about quality in relation to file size, then the hardware encoder is not necessarily the right choice.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: diamond.g

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
So does your personal opinion invalidate his results that are quantitative and repeatable?
What results? He gets the same "results" as a gazillion other YouTubers. My quarrel is his slavish devotion to Apple. He's little more than a PR flack. It's disgusting and gross.

Want a non-slavish review of Apple products? Go watch Quinn at Snazzy Labs or even read a Gruber review, where he has no problem ripping Apple when they make mistakes. Marco is another one---he has no problems calling Apple out for the legitimate mistakes they make. Hell, Rene Ritchie is STILL telling people how he really liked the butterfly keyboard and how the TouchBar is great (really, go back and watch his reviews).

But he's not a flack or shill? Okay guy. You can go back to your dreamworld of thinking Rene Ritchie is an objective and unbiased reviewer. He's a major, major shill and that's not a "personal opinion."

k27

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2018
Europe
So does your personal opinion invalidate his results that are quantitative and repeatable?
Results that ignore all relevant aspects except speed in relation to video encoders.

- Quality => ignored
- file size => ignored
- Speed => only this is looked at and then overrated

Therefore, people who know and care about quality and file size do the following:
"I use VideoToolBox only to encode a draft of my videos." (VideoToolBox = HardwareEncoder)

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
What results? He gets the same "results" as a gazillion other YouTubers. My quarrel is his slavish devotion to Apple. He's little more than a PR flack. It's disgusting and gross.

Want a non-slavish review of Apple products? Go watch Quinn at Snazzy Labs or even read a Gruber review, where he has no problem ripping Apple when they make mistakes. Marco is another one---he has no problems calling Apple out for the legitimate mistakes they make. Hell, Rene Ritchie is STILL telling people how he really liked the butterfly keyboard and how the TouchBar is great (really, go back and watch his reviews).

But he's not a flack or shill? Okay guy. You can go back to your dreamworld of thinking Rene Ritchie is an objective and unbiased reviewer. He's a major, major shill and that's not a "personal opinion."

I am not even arguing that. My point is his results are repeatable across many sites and reviewers, regardless of your personal opinion of him. Your personal opinion doesn’t invalidate that the M1Pro/ Max offers a paradigm shift for professionals….especially in video editing, rendering, music production or coding. Every single review shows the same massive boost to performance and efficiency allowing the same performance as a $15K desktop machine in a mobile format. This allows not only a productivity boost, but the ability to perform functions on-site with a customer vs in a lab.

These are not aimed at gamers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slartibart

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
I am not even arguing that. My point is his results are repeatable across many sites and reviewers, regardless of your personal opinion of him. Your personal opinion doesn’t invalidate that the M1Pro/ Max offers a paradigm shift for professionals….especially in video editing, rendering, music production or coding. Every single review shows the same massive boost to performance and efficiency allowing the same performance as a $15K desktop machine in a mobile format. This allows not only a productivity boost, but the ability to perform functions on-site with a customer vs in a lab.

These are not aimed at gamers.
You can show me in my comment about Ritchie YOU replied to where I trashed these machines. I trashed Rene Ritchie's character and nothing more.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
You can show me in my comment about Ritchie YOU replied to where I trashed these machines. I trashed Rene Ritchie's character and nothing more.

I never once said you trashed those machines.

Here is the crux of what you said:

But he's not a flack or shill? Okay guy. You can go back to your dreamworld of thinking Rene Ritchie is an objective and unbiased reviewer.

Both yourself and another user has implied or directly questioned that his review is biased….as if somehow we shouldn’t pay attention to his results. Another user shifted the goalposts and stated that it wasn’t an effective test because filesize and quality wasn’t compared, again implying that there is bias in his reviews. Renee was quite explicit that he has emulated “his” workflow in video production, so for “him”, he is seeing a massive performance increase. He clearly isn’t interested in filesize or using software encoders to eek out the last little bit of quality just for YT to butcher it on upload. It is not biased just because he didn’t emulate everybody else’s workflow, such as those people who encode their movies at the greatest possible quality for local streaming to their home theatre setup. That IS NOT HIS workflow.

Many other reviewers are saying the same….their workflow performance is hugely improved. I am not sure how that can possibly be classed as biased, when it is a statement of fact.

Fabercon

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2020
Another user shifted the goalposts and stated that it wasn’t an effective test because filesize and quality wasn’t compared, again implying that there is bias in his reviews. Renee was quite explicit that he has emulated “his” workflow in video production, so for “him”, he is seeing a massive performance increase. He clearly isn’t interested in filesize or using software encoders to eek out the last little bit of quality just for YT to butcher it on upload. It is not biased just because he didn’t emulate everybody else’s workflow, such as those people who encode their movies at the greatest possible quality for local streaming to their home theatre setup. That IS NOT HIS workflow.
You are right, but so is the person who said that filesize and quality matter. Renee might find the quality and filesize acceptable himself...

A bit of a silly example, but this is a bit like comparing the MPG (gas) of a motorcycle vs a Toyota Pickup truck. Yes, the efficiency and performance/mile with is better with the motorcycle but that is not the only metric to determine if that is the correct vehicle for my needs.

Now with the M1 Max the quality MIGHT not be as good as pro software (we are still waiting for reviews on that). It could be that the pro software could use and tweak some of the settings to improve the quality while still getting the performance boost from the media chip... it is just too new to know.

However, even if the quality isn't good enough for production level 8k movie compositing, it IS still good enough to run lower quality rough cuts at blazing speeds pretty much previously unavailable on a laptop device. That will save time and money during editing even if the final version is still rendered on dedicated $15k workstation hardware.

The M1 Max is amazing and I bet it is going to change a lot of professional workflows. Ultimately that is what really matters.

theotherphil

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2012
You are right, but so is the person who said that filesize and quality matter. Renee might find the quality and filesize acceptable himself...

A bit of a silly example, but this is a bit like comparing the MPG (gas) of a motorcycle vs a Toyota Pickup truck. Yes, the efficiency and performance/mile with is better with the motorcycle but that is not the only metric to determine if that is the correct vehicle for my needs.

Now with the M1 Max the quality MIGHT not be as good as pro software (we are still waiting for reviews on that). It could be that the pro software could use and tweak some of the settings to improve the quality while still getting the performance boost from the media chip... it is just too new to know.

However, even if the quality isn't good enough for production level 8k movie compositing, it IS still good enough to run lower quality rough cuts at blazing speeds pretty much previously unavailable on a laptop device. That will save time and money during editing even if the final version is still rendered on dedicated $15k workstation hardware.

The M1 Max is amazing and I bet it is going to change a lot of professional workflows. Ultimately that is what really matters.

I agree 100% and that’s why I didn’t reply to that person. My comment specifically relates to the claim that Renee is somehow biased in his review which gave results based on his workflow. This performance is easily measured and is quantitative. This isn’t Renee’s subjective opinion.

I can’t comment on file size or quality as I have no measure of that. I can’t imagine that the M1 Max is going to be slower than other machines when using software encoders. Everything we know about the CPU and memory bandwidth suggests otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.