And just like that MyWi is deemed pointless

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by WiiDSmoker, Jan 12, 2011.

1. WiiDSmoker macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Of course I just bought MyWi a mere 5 days ago, and now 4.3 includes Personal Hotspot built into the actual OS.

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Why don't you wait and see if AT&T and/or Verizon are going to charge for using the hotspot function before you deem mywi useless? They are most certainly going to charge a monthly fee for that.

3. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Agreed. This will most likely be a charged for service much like the tethering option for AT&T is with the iPhone. I wouldnt say just yet that MyWi is pointless.

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I cannot disagreed more with you, I love to have control over the Tx Power and be able to see what clients are connected.

I am exited that finally there is a "real" competitor to them so the Developer is now force to add value in order to stay competitive, not that the program was bad, i love it, but competition is always good (real competition)

5. kre62 macrumors 68000

True, also I must be one of the only rare ones who actually uses the functionality of bridging the USB connection to WIFI. I had a desktop without a wifi card, and was able to use the iPhones wifi connection with this feature. You can now do that with bluetooth as well.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't get me wrong MyWi is great and one of my favs but if I can use a hack to enable native tethering thru USB, bluetooth and true wifi hotspot with up to 5 devices connected I won't even need MyWi any longer.

7. monkey28rb macrumors 6502

i agree... Now MyWi is pointless for me too once 4.3 comes out.. smh:mad:

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

9. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

MyWi will be far from pointless... AT&T will charge at least $20/Month for this service, if not more...

10. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Not if you have a iPhone 3G. Or iPad with data plan.

11. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Personal Hotspot doesn't show up on my iPhone 4 lol :confused:

12. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

not pointless at all for some of us... I am on an unlimited date plan, im sure AT&T is not going to let me wifi tether with out switching my data plan.

13. ihonda macrumors 68000

and just like that YoU are deemed uneducated. vzw and att (if they choose to allow it) will charge for the hotspot app EVERY month, where as mywi is a $20 ONE TIME FEE (unless they charge $10 to upgrade to 5.0 or whatever) but yep. mywi = better then hotspot app.

14. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Mywi will not be useless when you have pay for the personal hotspot and mywi will use your unlimited data

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Offcourse they will charge.
    Were talking about a hack that will enable the feature for free without having to pay for additional tethering on a jb iPhone.
    It's not an app, it's a feature built in the iOS.
    Same way tether me enables native tethering without being charged a monthly fee by your carrier.

16. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

MyWi will still be functional until the pricing for personal hotspot is announced. As well, the hotspot won't allow me to USB tether to my PC. MyWi retains it's honor.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can use USB or Bluetooth tethering already with native tethering or with a $2 TetherMe package for cydia with no additional carrier fees.

18. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Proof once again of the hypocrisy that is MacRumors.

19. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Why is it Hypocrisy?

To many, myself included, tethering is an important functionality of a smart phone.

I tried to do it the "right way" through AT&T and pay them their $20/month. But they wanted me to drop to the 2GB plan from my Unlimited (From which I could never go back), so I have to use WyWi for my tethering.
    (BTW, I use about 7-9GB/mo when tethering, 3-5GB/month when not tethering)
    Its not stealing because Im paying for 'UNLIMITED' data. Why does it matter how I use that data?
    I'm already being raped paying $20 for unlimited texting, which is DATA that I'm paying for anyway.

AT&T doesn't care if I use 6000 minutes or send 20,000 texts, so why should they care if I use 20GB of data?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What he's saying is its ok to get tethering without paying but once you mention not paying for MyWi for example some people will start flaming and trashing you and calling you every name in the book.
    You can steal from the carrier but if you steal from the Dev that helps you steal from the carrier its completelly different and unfair:D
    Makes no sense to me either but to each his own.
    I dont care what people do or think.
    Im not here to judge or try to tell people how to live their lives.

21. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I was thinking the same thing. I cant see both unlimited AND hot spot together.

I use miwi and still adv well under 2gb a month but I went over two months. No way I would willingly give up my unlimited plan for native hot spot.

22. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Applejuice explained it good enough, maybe because I've had this rant enough times, hence why I didn't say anymore. You pay to have unlimited data on your phone and only your phone. It's no different then the old de-scramblers on cable or having a satellite access card reprogrammed, all of which allowed you to access something you didn't pay for and were/are illegal. The law hasn't kept up with the technology over the years so stealing internet is a legal gray area ATM.

23. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I see both sides and I'm not going to write a book here but 7-9gb a month is HUGE! I practically have my phone glued to my hand and watch nextflix over 3g somewhat often. Since I have gotten my iPhone4 on June I have averaged less than 2gb per month. I prefer to have the option to go over and would not want to lose the unlimited plan but people that over do it are killing that option and slowing down the network for everyone else.

Several people that hoard data dont pay for home internet. I dont know if you have wifi at home and you might, some guy was bragging about using 40+gb a month so maybe you do.

The fact is that we all signed a contract that was very specific about not allowing tethering, especially to a laptop. I dont understand this crazy sense of entitlement people have. I am also breaking my commitment but I am not putting undue demand on the 3g network and regardless if I am caught I know ATT has every right to shut off my phone.

24. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

So if you sign up for a gym, and decide to take a balance ball home for your (hypothetical) kid to use, it's all right because you got the full membership (which includes the use of said balance ball), right?

You did not BUY data - you've leased it. And your lease says "No tethering".

25. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Like the flying monkeys in The Wizard Of Oz, in they swoop screaming, "MyWi is stealing, MyWi is stealing!!" to take yet another MyWi thread off on an irrelevant tangent.