And Killzone 2 is out!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spyker3292, Feb 26, 2009.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Did anyone pick up Killzone yet? I know it's everywhere but the UK and North America. Of course... I think most of us here are from those two places.

I've got it on pre-order from Amazon (with release date delivery :D) so I'll be playing tomorrow!

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

So, the Halo killer has returned eh?

I'd like to hear stuff on this, it's always nice to hear proper gamers feedback, rather than some reviewer who's probably being given cash under the table to butter him up...

3. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

4. evan g macrumors regular

Mine will hopefully be in the mailbox when I get home tomorrow. I have the demo (which is awesome!) and have been playing the heck out of that.

I will definitely be back with some info on the game. It's looking to be pretty spectacular.

5. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Did you preorder from gamestop? I heard some story that was the only way to get the demo before the release (which is stupid IMO)

6. evan g macrumors regular

Well the other way was to make a EU account and download it off of their store (KZ2 Demo just got put up on the NA store strangely enough). I just happened to have a preorder from Gamestop and thought "What a treat!" :D

As we speak I'm downloading the Killzone 2 Video Strategies that they posted on the store (a gamer like me relies on those).

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Offically out today here, mine shipped two days ago but will probably be wed before i recieve it. Still SFIV & F.E.A.R.2 are keeping me going :)

8. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

This game. Is. Amazing.

I have to say WOW. The demo wasn't even a TASTE of what the final game is. It really kicks right at the part right after the demo. I've already died like 4 times from starting the game, not due to stupid mistakes, but rather AI. :(

But once you get into a real battlefield, the scale of battle is just stunning. There's so much stuff going on you can't keep track of who's shooting you! You just have to hope you survive through the battlefield. :p

Already one hour into the game. Five more hours to go apparently... :rolleyes:

9. evan g macrumors regular

Ok so UPS dropped it off a few hours ago and I have been playing it for a good five hours. It is AMAZING.

The campaign, is awesome. Lets just leave it at that.

The multiplayer, is good too. It obviously has some maturing to do, since everybody is a grunt and there's really no point in hanging around if you've been shot down, since there aren't too many medics yet.

People said this game would be pray and spray, but ultimately, no. I really is just as unforgiving to low levels as COD4 was. And that's a good thing. :) Sort of. You will curse quite a bit before you do the kicking of the butt.

Overall, well worth your 60 bucks. Hell, I would pay $100 and still be satisfied. This is my nominee for GOTY 09.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

oh.... that is short :eek:

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I really like the game, having played the demo, and I am waiting Amazon to deliver it to me. Should arrive on Tuesday.

However, having played the game again and again, have you noticed a difficulty adapting to the controls? Don't you think they are unresponsive? A quick google search revealed that there are many people complaining about this. There are even pre-order cancellations because of this.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Yup its the weighted feel of the controls that were put in place by GG to slow the pace down a bit and make it more tactical which I'm very happy with.

Its a love hate thing and I guess you have to adapt to it or move on. People are complaining because they want it like COD4....all ice skating and 360 degree(aim assist as well) turn on a flick of the analog stick.....I hope they add the option just for the sake of people whining.

I'll let you know my impressions as soon as I open it up....its sitting on my desk but this is a bad weekend to play games for me...plus I'm missing my Clans battle royal :mad:

Bless

13. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

So far, it's been very good. I've also noticed the turning though, you can't just whip around. Also, the loading causes a little lag sometimes for me

14. evan g macrumors regular

Kyle Schubel, one of the guys at Guerilla Games, said that the contol - laginess was on purpose, and it was supposed to feel like a heavy gun in your hands, not like a peice of styrofoam like in other shooters.

Personally, I like it.

15. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Just finished it. I assume with all the deaths that I've had throughout the game (apparently I died like 40 times during my first run! :eek:), it totals to be around 8-10 hours. All in all, a VERY satisfying campaign mode. It makes you want to go back and play it through again, because it's really that satisfying.

Usually, I'll never play through something once I've already finished it. But since the experience is NEVER the same every time (AI changes), it makes this game so unique. And really, who has time to play more than 10 hours of gameplay? Not me. So there's really nothing to complain about, as the length is perfect as is. Everything is very epic in this game.

Multiplayer is AMAZING. Again, very different experience than most FPS multiplayer games. On the fly mission objectives according to how you're own team is doing. Makes things very dynamic. :D

16. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

THIS. The only complaint I've heard is controls.. and although controls can break a game, these certainly don't. We just have come to expect light controls like CoD4 and with the heavier guns, and yes rifles/shotguns are heavy, it's harder to twitch play. This works for me b/c I know I do not have the best twitch reflexes for faster paced shooters but I can always think my way through of a firefight, and this is how I am playing through this game. Plus BOTS rock!!!

17. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

It certainly makes the game truer to form, twitch shooter on a gamepad? The thought alone is ridiculous :rolleyes:, CoD4 on console feels sluggish and clunky compared to any PC shooter.

Killzone 2 makes it so the game's feel matches the natural sluggishness of the gamepad. I liked the Killzone 2 demo very much, I'd probably hate it with a mouse and keyboard because the game moves much slower than the mouse, while on most console shooters the game moves faster than the gamepad which is infuriating.

It's funny, Killzone may actually be the console Halo killer after all (any shooter on PC is a halo killer :p).

18. evan g macrumors regular

All in all, I liked the controls. I think what people didn't like was how much they sucked without the auto-aim. Eventually you will be able to wrap your head around it, no matter who you are, it just takes some persistence, which obviously we're not seeing too much of.

Also one of the most rewarding things in the whole game is coming around the corner with a shotgun and just BLASTING the other guy. Knowing you did all that without auto-aim is well worth the $60 right there for me.

19. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I don't understand WHY everyone is complaining about the controls. This is not CALL OF DUTY for god sakes! They're lucky that they even HAVE the option of COD controls. And I'm GLAD that they don't have auto-aim in this game, because it REALLY makes this game stand out from the rest. No more camping out and having easy sniping (Halo was famous for this :p). All in all, this game is much better than Halo 3, or really the Halo series, in my opinion. Yes Killzone 1 wasn't anywhere as good, but Killzone 2 definitely made up for it. Multiplayer is the SH*T! :D

20. Stepper macrumors regular

GOTY 2009 :cool:

THE best FPS I've ever played on a console.

I played the campaign mode for a couple of hours then decided to jump online, I was amazed. The online mode is just the best ever....I can't explain i in words, you have to play it to understand why it is the game of the year.
    :D

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've only played a bit near the start (not the very start) at my cousins place. It's all quite cinematic huh? I'd really love to sink my teeth into it but I'm not keen on them controls. I know what the designer said about 'polystyrene weapons', but it goes against everything I've known in an FPS game. Everything that made it fluid. I'm hoping they bring us a keyboard/mouse patch. Like they have some kind of epiphany like with trophies and go back and all them to the popular old games :eek:

You don't play PC FPS games, do you :p

22. Chic0 macrumors 6502

Love it!!!!!!

Had my PS3 nearly a year now and I loved most of the games I've bought for it.........but Killzone 2 is the only game that I enjoy so much that I cant wait to play it again once I've finished it. Never replayed games in story mode after clocking them before. Some of those battles are just so intense!

Had bit time online and was impressed.
    Think I going to give campaign mode bit of a rest this week and jusy focus on online. Dont want to clock game too soon......

23. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

still waiting to get mine *sheds a tear* damn eb...

24. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie