Android Continues to Have More Loyal Customers Than iOS

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Android customers continue to be loyal to the Android operating system than iOS users are to the iOS operating system, according to new data shared today by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners.

Android saw a 91 percent loyalty rate in 2017, compared to 86 percent for iOS, with loyalty rates for the two operating systems remaining largely steady since early 2016. Android loyalty has hovered at 89 to 91 percent since January 2016, while iOS loyalty has been between 85 and 88 percent.

[​IMG]

Operating system loyalty for the year was measured by the percentage of customers that remained with each operating system when activating a new phone over the twelve months ending in December 2017. CIRP says its findings are based on quarterly surveys with a sample of 500 subjects each.
    With the Android operating system, customers have access to a range of different smartphones that are all able to run Android, which may explain why it has a higher loyalty rate. Android devices are also typically more affordable than iOS devices, with a wider range of low-priced options available.

As CIRP points out, with fewer and fewer first-time smartphone buyers available, poaching customers from competing operating systems is becoming increasingly important. Apple regularly aims to lure Android users to iOS through trade-in options, videos, a Move to iOS app to make transitioning simple, and a "Switch" website dedicated to explaining all of the reasons why the iPhone is better than competing smartphones.
    These loyalty rates are not equivalent to switcher rates, where iOS wins out. With a larger Android customer base, more customers are switching over to iOS devices on a regular basis. During earnings calls, Apple CEO Tim Cook always touts the high number of Android switchers Apple sees, with each quarter setting a new record.

Article Link: Android Continues to Have More Loyal Customers Than iOS

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Using iOS means having to explain that you can't set more than a single DND period, because Apple felt that was good enough and has zero interest in offering an API to control it.

Really, this one issue is enough that I regularly think about how my next phone may end up being an Android instead. Aesthetics be damned - the basic thing a phone is for is alerting me at the right times and not at the wrong times. And Apple thinks that everyone sleeps the exact same hours every day always.

3. 25ghosts macrumors 6502

That depends on how you measure loyalty...

I'd say that Apple iOS has the MOST loyal clients on the planet. No in the entire Solar System....

That they still have ANY clients at all after what they put they clients through with iOS 11 speaks fathoms about loyalty :D

4. apolloa macrumors G4

Haha, made my day reading this. Still I’m sure Apple aren’t going to complain as they get all the profits themselves.. and thank God for Android, it’s competition for Apple and vice versa.

Still Apple don’t seem to notice that when making endless buggy software updates.. You Tube on my iPad Pro is really buggy and I don’t know who to grumble about? Google or Apple?

5. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Android loyalty is 89 - 91% and iOS loyalty is between 85 - 88%. What is the margin of error on this survey? Most political surveys have a margin of 3 - 5 % and they have thousands of samples to get there. The difference here does not look statistically significant enough to claim that one is better than the other (even if the roles were reversed).

6. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Disagree. iOS has more loyal customers. Android has smarter customers that are agnostic to any company or OS.

7. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

And with a margin of error of 4-5%, they are basically the same, eh?

8. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Ah, statistical shenanigans.

I used to be good at this too...

Shall we play?

9. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Having been an iOS user that now uses Android, I gotta say -- it's pretty nice here. Unless I see some big changes in iOS 12, I expect my next phone to be an Android device as well. Android is really terrific, objectively speaking.

Now, my experiences are with STOCK Android -- that is, Android the way that Google intended for it to be. Many of the folks I've seen hating Android unsurprisingly have experiences with Samsung, LG, and the like. Or no experience with Android at all. But I digress. I implore for them to try the Pixel. Go take a look at the Pixel sub on Reddit and you'll find pages of pleasantly surprised iOS users.

(Before the Samsung lovers lynch me -- I think the Note 8 and S9 look amazing, guys! I kind of want one!)

10. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

It’s still fairly close for both companies having similar loyalty rates. I still think most users stay with the platform that they’re used to, Rather it be android or iOS. Competition is good for consumers to have a choice of what they want. iOS has always been my preference because of the security and stabilization with updates approximately five years worth.

11. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

Apple could put a much more significant dent into Android, if they chose to "open up a little", and offer more customization for its devices. After 10 years of iOS, we still can't have weather on the lock screen, app icons can't be interactive, ie a weather app cannot show what the current weather/temp is, and still the stale-ass grid of icons that cannot be resized or changed how many icons appear on the grid...

on a 12.9" iPad you could have easily have an extra 10 icons at least.

12. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Good point. People tend to stick with what they know and are used to. I think it's a lot of the reason why Android buyers continue buying Android, and likewise iPhone buyers continue buying iPhones.

13. Mike MA, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Kinda interesting to see where iOS loyalty would measure once the OS would be less buggy than recently.

14. mgauss7 macrumors regular

mgauss7

BS. I am an Apple slave like all readers here.

15. chetttos macrumors newbie

So basically iOS users are dumb and more likely to join any cult that ask them to throw their money. Got it. /s

16. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I’ve been loyal since 2010. For a few years, I wouldn’t consider anything else - but not anymore. The price premium isn’t worth it now. The Macs went first; I gave my MacBook Air to my sister, when she needed a lightweight laptop, and I needed Windows, and then sold my Mac mini when I built a Windows tower, which took over its server duties (and does 4K gaming) and the lack of hardware and software options made it useless as an HTPC.

I still have my iPad Pro, and my iPhone 7, but whereas I used to upgrade every year, I’ll keep these much longer, and replace with something good enough, but much much cheaper, and sans notch when they finally die.

17. Regime2008 Suspended

Regime2008

This is not the least bit surprising. Customers have the choice of being locked down, with half the functionality of their mobile devices, or living in an open world, with plenty of freedom and options all around. Android doesn't lock you into an ecosystem, which only works with select few other products. It's 2018 and more and more people seem to want to make their own decisions and choices.

18. normang macrumors member

normang

All this proves is that Android users are cheapskates.... they go through phones like water, because they don't last or they cannot get Android upgrades..

19. Michael Goff macrumors G5

Michael Goff

Actually, I don’t explain to anyone how I use my phone. I’m not insecure enough to have to justify my purchases.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2018 ---
    You just can’t stand a thread without pointless attacks on people can you?

20. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

It's easy since most iOS users who are lately switching to Android are keeping it instead of going back, add that to the current Android users who never switched and there you go.

21. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

This does not shock me at all. Power users are using Android, you can do so much more. IOS has not grown up and that is a pretty serious issue as many long time users start to see how much more they can do elsewhere. And I love Apple products but IOS is a massive joke these days, zero innovation.. oh wait Animated Emojis for the win! lol

22. chetttos macrumors newbie

Having to buy a new cheap phone after the one that just broke, it's not loyality but optionless. Most of the people won't buy the cheapest iPhone over a $100 budget phone, plus it's not like there is another operating system wide available.

23. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

He didn't say anything wrong did he?

24. Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

I used to work in a phone store and the problems the pixel had that people were returning them for was enough for me to stop recommending them.

25. justiny Contributor

justiny

If it keeps Apple focused on creating better products for their customers, I say the more loyal Android users the better.