Android nerd, switched to iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tig Bitties, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Tig Bitties macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I just picked up an iPhone 6 Plus at the ATT store today. My last iPhone was the 3G going back 5 years ago.

Since then I have owned 12 different Android phones, all the Nexus phones except the 6, and other flagship phones that I always rooted and ROM'd.

The point of this thread, is that I like to be open minded to different OS's, not married to one, and thought I should give iOS8 and the 6 Plus a try. FYI, I do not own any other Apple products whatsoever, no iPad, no Mac's, etc... I build my own custom gaming PC's, and not really into tablets. But I have nothing against those other Apple products, they seem great, just never owned one yet.

So I got bored with Android recently, running Lollipop on my OnePlus One, which by the way is a great phone. While Lollipop is a great update to Android, I was now looking for something brand new and different, and grew bored with Android recently. And I am looking forward to Jailbreaking this 6 Plus soon, to help customize and tweak it.

Few questions, help needed on the iPhone, as I haven't used iOS in 5 + years :eek:

- How do I get the keyboard keys to vibrate while typing ? I am looking everywhere in settings and can't find it.

- Software keys would be great and much needed for me. Would love a "back" key, it's a must have for me. Is there a JB tweak to add that ?

- Why is there no left screen ? I try to swipe to a screen that I think should be left of the home screen, but I can't ?

- How do I customize sounds in different apps ? Like Messages I would want different notification sound, than other apps.

- Why can't I drag a few app icons down to the bottom, and keep a space between other apps at the top ? It won't allow that, just keeps a row of apps, one after the other. Is there a tweak to change that ?

- Is there a JB tweak, to pull down the Notifications, like in Nova Launcher on Android ? In Nova you just swype down anywhere on the screen, and the Notification shade will come down. Right now, when I swype down on the iPhone, some search menu thing pops up ? I don't want that.

Thinks that's it for right now, I am sure many more questions will pop up soon.

Thank you

2. jponce97 macrumors member

We haven't done tactile feedback for the keyboard.
    The others that question a JB tweak I'm not sure of as I don't JB my iPhones.

3. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

I am dead serious. I have a white 16GB iPhone 6 Plus sitting next to me right now. But being on Android for 5 + years, it is jarring and totally different coming back to iOS. Not saying good or bad, just DIFFERENT.

My brain is so set with the way Android works, I feel lost on iOS8, and looking in the settings is so different than a custom ROM Android settings menu / options.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Some answers:
    • There is no haptic feedback on the iPhone that I am aware of.
    • You can re-arrange the apps to keep a space at the bottom, but not along the top.
    • The screen you were thinking of to the left of the home screen is Spotlight. They changed that in iOS 6 or 7. Just swipe down anywhere on the home screen to access that now. That's the "search" menu you are finding.
    • To get to the notification screen, swipe down from the very top.

5. brewno macrumors 6502

- How do I get the keyboard keys to vibrate while typing ? I am looking everywhere in settings and can't find it.
    I don't think there's a keyboard that does that yet. Not that I know. But then again, I only use SwiftKey.

- Software keys would be great and much needed for me. Would love a "back" key, it's a must have for me. Is there a JB tweak to add that ?

If you have different app pages, and you're on your last page and you want to go to the home page, click the wheel once, it takes you to the first app page. There's no software back other than that...

- Why is there no left screen ? I try to swipe to a screen that I think should be left of the home screen, but I can't ?
    The left screen was the search option, it was removed recently. Now you drag down your apps page, and the search appears.

- How do I customize sounds in different apps ? Like Messages I would want different notification sound, than other apps.

In Settings -> Sounds.

- Why can't I drag a few app icons down to the bottom, and keep a space between other apps at the top ? It won't allow that, just keeps a row of apps, one after the other. Is there a tweak to change that ?
    They don't allow space. If you want a space, you'll have to open a new app page, just drag the app to the side of the screen for a few seconds and it will be on a different page.

- Is there a JB tweak, to pull down the Notifications, like in Nova Launcher on Android ? In Nova you just swype down anywhere on the screen, and the Notification shade will come down. Right now, when I swype down on the iPhone, some search menu thing pops up ? I don't want that.
    I dont JB, so I don't know.

Sorry if my replies aren't what you're looking for. Maybe someone with JB knowledge will be of more help.

6. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Thank you for helping.

Yeah that screen to the left "Spotlight" I always hated that, just seemed strange that some popup keyboard would appear every time I went to the left screen. I always thought there should be a true nother screen on the left for like Calendar widgets, ( but that's a whole other story, no widgets in iOS )

And dragging down on the screen, bringing up this weird "Search" thing again, ugh, I have no use or reason to want to see that so easily and often. Why can't I have that changed to bring down the Notifications Center instead ? Now that would be of more sue to me, or at least give me the option.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Swift key (appstore) should allow for haptic feedback. Never used it so I can't compare but a Google search brought me that as a possible solution. Hope it works!

8. brewno macrumors 6502

I use SwiftKey and never found that option.
    Unfortunately this isn't true.

9. Jman13, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014

Jman13 macrumors 68000

A few notes: space (and any icon arrangement you can think of) can be done while jail broken with a tweak called Homescreen Designer.

The swipe actions (and a TON more) can be done with Activator (JB tweak)

Not a back button, but SwipeSelection allows you to move the cursor by swiping across the keyboard (JB tweak)

You mentioned widgets, there's a tweak called iWidgets that is vey nice for Homescreen widgets...and there are hundreds of them out there.

There are jailbreak tweaks for most anything you could want. Browse over to the jailbreak forum here to get a glimpse.

FWIW, here's my home screen on my 6:

Attached Files:

10. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I checked the page where I saw it recommended more closesly. Android. :(

I tried. :confused:

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Cool, proper signal bars.#

12. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

Wow thx :)

Your homescreen setup looks great, and this is the type of stuff I want to do on my iPhone. Sorry, but a stock iPhone is not for me, no way, just feels too limited and locked down.

I want widgets, I want a custom icon pack, I want to move my app icons anywhere I feel like it, I want the dock to be transparent and have 5 apps, and just like to have it setup different and my own way.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

There are widgets on the notification screen. And the search feature is actually pretty useful since you can quickly jump to an app, contact, song, or message by typing in a few letters.

14. Bahroo macrumors 68000

It works pretty well i think at least, you can type the word of a text that you rememembe from a past saved text/email/whatever and it finds it ,

----------

How does it run with jailbreak tweaks like that running on your 6

15. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Check out the Homescreen thread in the JB forum for some ideas of what people are doing. I'll start you off about a month ago (the early part of the thread is a bit limited since themes and tweaks weren't updated at first)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1812152&page=22

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

If you swipe down from the very top of the screen you can open Notification Centre from any app/the lock screen. I'm not sure if there is a jailbreak tweak to let you activate it from pulling down anywhere on the screen.

17. Chad-VI macrumors regular

Chad-VI

If you don't want to jailbreak but want to customize your iPhone a bit , I have found a website that does what you need: http://tooliphone.net
    -If you want an icon pack (Just like those in go launcher in android I think) Select "iSkin"
    -If you want to have a blank space anywhere in your homescreen (just like android) select "iEmpty" then you'll be asked to upload your wallpaper so they can create the "blank icon" by selecting the area that you wanted to be empty. After generating the web page , tap on the sharing menu on the bottom of your phone ( a rectangle with a cursor on the top) and tap "add to home screen" but leave the name blank. This will add a "transparent" icon that will look like if it's not there.
    -if you want to customize icons , you can use iCustom , but this won't change the actual icon, this will create a "shortcut" of the app, so you will have both the app and it's shortcut on your phone, but you can just hide the original app in a folder.

I Hope it helps you :)

18. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

HapticPro works, but only on the stock keyboard, apparently.

19. cynics macrumors G3

You are trying to use iOS like Android. You'll end up hating it because it will resist you every step of the way.

Pretty much everything on you list can't really be done or is done so for a reason. I'd suggest just trying to use it the way it is for a while, allow yourself to get used too it.

Then if you are still not satisfied then jailbreak it as most everything you are looking for can be accomplished (looking for something new by stepping it up identically to what you had?).

It took me a month of using an iPhone to learn that I preferred it overall over Android.

20. Tig Bitties thread starter macrumors 68030

Tig Bitties

You are right. It is such a change I feel so lost and confused now. Was about to return this and get a Nexus 6. But after reading your post made me think, I should give it a bit more time and try it.

----------

Is that in the stock App Store, or Cydia only ?

21. Elganja macrumors newbie

i'm in a similar boat as you... had the original iphone, 3g and 3gs, then went to android. most recently had a note 3... which i loved

but for development purposes, I decided to go to an iPhone

it's been about 3 weeks now since I've had it... and i've gotten over all the things you mentioned (they all bothered me as well), with the exception of the back button. I often find myself wanting it... but i'll get used to it

22. mrwalsh1968 macrumors member

I just had a quick look, and HapticPro is in Cydia and is $2.99 don't know what it's like, I don't have it or the need to. Just helping with info that's all.

23. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Like I said above, HapticPro seems to work on the stock keyboard only, and on buttons and links. You can also adjust the duration of the feedback. Works fine on 8.1.2.

24. JunBringer macrumors member

JunBringer

So much truth here. I tried my 6+ because I wanted some change, and to reward Apple for making a large capacity and screen. I'm a couple months in now and I definitely really enjoy it. I've been using it along with a Nexus 5 for a couple months, but I'm giving that to my wife later this week and using the 6+ exclusively until I get my tax return and get an Xperia as a secondary device. Should be an interesting adventure considering I was so against it for so long.