Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Android is a just a passing phase for poor people.

The world wants iTunes and the App Store, but not everyone can afford iPhone/ATT, but as newer generations are released and more iPhones into circulation, poor people will also be able to have iPhones with the help of sites like eBay and Craigslist... Eventually, there will be enough iPhones out there for everyone.

Seriously... what apps does Google have?
what songs does Google have? are there any? These people can't seems to find any.
Why did you steal my signature?

christian_k

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Germany
I have to agree here. Google's probably making the numbers look like they want them to look. With so many more iPhones and iPod Touchs out there than Androids, there's something funny going on.

Not sure about that. I think many iPod touches are only used as music players and rarely for browsing. So you cannot simply increase the number of iPhones by the number of iPod touches. While being a success for Apple this would make them quite pointless for companies in mobile advertising or content (other than the iTunes store and Apple itself).

Smaartphones are something different. If someone buys an Android phone, iPhone, WebOS phone etc. probably including an expensive data contract he will likely really use the browser on the device.

Christian

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Not sure about that. I think many iPod touches are only used as music players and rarely for browsing.

I don't think browsing stats would back that up. If all a person wants to do is listen to music, one of the older iPods are smaller and cheaper as a solution. If you spend the money to get a larger and more expensive iPod touch, I think you want to play games and browse.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009

The world wants iTunes and the App Store, but not everyone can afford iPhone/ATT, but as newer generations are released and more iPhones into circulation, poor people will also be able to have iPhones with the help of sites like eBay and Craigslist... Eventually, there will be enough iPhones out there for everyone.

what songs does Google have? are there any? These people can't seems to find any.
Way to be insanely ignorant and down right offensive.

The 1st Gen iPhone & iPod Touch 2% numbers pretty much discount this survey in my opinion.

You mean seriously, only 2% of people are STILL using those devices?

Laughable. Sorry. Next...

Clearly, Google fudged these numbers.

It's as if Google wanted to clearly make the point that the original iPhone is just passe now! LOL

(Just because the takeover of Admob has not been approved does not mean Google is not exerting control over the company or decisions aren't being made in their favor, DUH!)

:rolleyes:

I don't think browsing stats would back that up. If all a person wants to do is listen to music, one of the older iPods are smaller and cheaper as a solution. If you spend the money to get a larger and more expensive iPod touch, I think you want to play games and browse.

haha..nope, i agree with the guy you quoted.

The friends here in NYC who have iPod touches own one because it was the newest iPod. They download some free apps and never touch them....and the just use it as an MP3 player.

Is it a foolish? Oh hell yeah it is...but its NYC, people spend a lot of money for things they don't need.

My co-worker right next to me has a Nano AND a Touch. I still haven't figured out why.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Indeed. I can afford an iPhone and AT&T, in fact, I did for a year and a half. And when I got my Nexus One, I kept AT&T and my data plan and my bill hasn't gone down one cent from when I had my iPhone. Oh, and did I mention that since I bought the Nexus One unlocked, I paid more than what an iPhone costs on a 2 year contract?

What apps does Google have? Plenty. What songs does Google have? The Amazon MP3 store is integrated with Android, so it also has plenty. Which is great because I prefer MP3s over Apple's AAC format anyways since my car CD player will play MP3s but not AACs.

The N1 costs more than the iPhone and you'd have to be nuts to own one without a data plan. Poor man's phone my ass.

And I'm trying to figure out why he's stolen my signature in support of Giz and Google/Android when he's going around calling it a poor man's platform.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010

:rolleyes:

haha..nope, i agree with the guy you quoted.

The friends here in NYC who have iPod touches own one because it was the newest iPod. They download some free apps and never touch them....and the just use it as an MP3 player.

Is it a foolish? Oh hell yeah it is...but its NYC, people spend a lot of money for things they don't need.

My co-worker right next to me has a Nano AND a Touch. I still haven't figured out why.

And my experience has been precisely the opposite and backs what I surmised. And thus we see the problem with anecdotal evidence, and why I say to use browser stats.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

What are you talking about? If someone can't afford an iPhone on AT&T I doubt they can afford a Moto Droid on Verizon. This has nothing to do with pricing and everything to do with availability. Android is a great alternative to the iPhone and not everyone wants or can even get AT&T service. When you compare one phone on one carrier versus many phones on multiple carriers these results are not surprising. With Apple leaving the door wide open to carrier access Android will continue to grow at a record pace. It will grow not because it is a better product, but because it is a comparable product that has much wider availability.

I work with poor to lower middle class families on a daily basis and they are just happy to be able to afford a basic cell phone. They could care less about a smart phone and the expensive plans that go with it. They are just concerned with keeping food on the table and clothes on their kids back.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
With Apple leaving the door wide open to carrier access Android will continue to grow at a record pace. It will grow not because it is a better product, but because it is a comparable product that has much wider availability.

Apple clinging to its exclusive arrangement with AT&T is baffling and disturbing. Android is hitting all carriers, RIM is giving phones away when you buy one, and Apple remains stuck with a single carrier, seriously limiting its potential.

Why won't they set the thing free?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.