Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OzarkMtn

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2016
Home
She came off very condescending, I don't buy into her "town square" crap. Retail brick and mortar stores should be all about displaying your products, when in a Apple store you have no clue as to what is for sale and what is someone's own personal equipment. I know that Apple generates a ton of revenue at their stores, I just am not comfortable in their type of environment.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
She's clearly way better than that John Browett moron that they fired. But I miss the way things were run under Ron Johnson. Back then Apple was less focused on trying to nickel and dime you to death with a billion adapters, tons of watch bands, $150 iPad socks and whatever other nonsense they fill the store with nowadays. They were more about substance than all the fluff that gets in the way today. Her focus has clearly been on expanding their accessories business, but I can't help but feel that it's not good for the Apple experience to clutter things up so much while upselling for every little thing.

Reactions: Osamede and 0958400

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Where does that yahoo ex-ceo stand?
[doublepost=1506007359][/doublepost]L
she needs to improve at public speaking...I just don't feel the authenticity that other Apple execs bring during keynotes.
Lot better than phil during recent keynote imo. He stumbled too.

Reactions: deany

MacManiac1

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2017
Pittsburgh
She’s next in line for CEO. No one else at Apple has experience actually running a profitable company. Especially a retail and consumer marketing oriented one with a supply chain.
I suspect you are correct. There is so much pressure in Silicon Valley to promote women and people of color that she would be a natural. Apple has scored poorly in the number of women and non-Asian minorities that it has in positions of power.

That being said, I think Tim Cook will be at the helm for a while. I don't think he will run for President of the USA.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
she needs to improve at public speaking...I just don't feel the authenticity that other Apple execs bring during keynotes.

Agree.

She was frozen stiff, lacking conviction, just reading from cue cards while sharing her vision of the new-gen Apple Store.

With all the money thrown to her lap, she could easily spend a few nickels on learning the do's and dont's of public speaking.

But she was not alone. [Only Craig Federighi showed his smooth persona.]

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
She’s next in line for CEO. No one else at Apple has experience actually running a profitable company. Especially a retail and consumer marketing oriented one with a supply chain.
History shows this to be true, of course. William H. Seward had plenty of executive experience (governor of New York, U.S. senator) when he ran for president of the United States. Unfortunately, an industrious lawyer from Illinois, one Abraham Lincoln, managed to slip into the office instead.

Sometimes, it's the outsiders who can do the most good.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Unless of course, you go there to buy something. Then you have a bunch of people just hanging around? Dumb idea. The point of a store is to buy stuff or try stuff. Not hang out.

Let's be real: this whole Apple as a gathering place thing won't work.
They will have some nice flagship store plazas to show off, but generally speaking this just can't work.
Easily over 90% of Apple Stores don't even have enough space for this and in most malls or inner cities they can't just expand the store because it's physically impossible.

BeefSupreme

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Next Apple Stores will be some kind of DACA, Dreamer, Climate Change, and all of the other Tim Cook SJW agenda items meeting place. They will learn how to make posters for protesting as well as to be able to download to their iPhone and iPad the current talking points being generated by FWD.us.

A short time ago, everyone here was calling for her head after the fiasco the original Apple Watch launch was.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you look at her style, clothing, accessories, makeup, nails - it's very appearance based, so authenticity doesn't shine through.

I'm not entirely sure about your authenticity quote, but her style is fitting, she was the CEO of Burberry from 2006 to 2014. And as a top executive at Apple, I would say she holds herself well with her appearance and style.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
I don't like the direction she's taken the company. I liked the egalitarian, "our tech is best at any price" rather than the luxury focused 18k Apple watch-selling company. Also, hate what she's done to the company store and getting rid of the genius bar appointments from the app. In summary, I wish she'd move back to a brand more appropriate to her tastes, something like her former Burberry or Prada.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Her greatest accomplishment in life is being lucky enough to be hired by Apple. She has done absolutely nothing noteworthy and she does not deserve any of the recognition that she is getting. I absolutely hate the new look of the Apple Store Crossgates in Albany. It is a complete mess. There are 50+ employees at any given time, yet the whole shopping/tech support experience is a complete chaos. The genius bar, cash registers, and kids section used to be very well organized and completely separated.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
I'm not entirely sure about your authenticity quote, but her style is fitting, she was the CEO of Burberry from 2006 to 2014. And as a top executive at Apple, I would say she holds herself well with her appearance and style.

Well, she ran a clothing company, not a tech company. Not sure if that experience as a CEO will translate into running a company based on consumer electronics and innovation.

However, she certainly dresses better than any of her male counterparts at Apple, but sadly that's not hard to do. I don't know what others think, but at the Sept. 12 event, Eddie Cue looked like he just rolled out of bed.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
she is so fake - eyes hiding - not a good choice for apple
Well, she ran a clothing company, not a tech company. Not sure if that experience as a CEO will translate into running a company based on consumer electronics and innovation.
However, she certainly dresses better than any of her male counterparts at Apple, but sadly that's not hard to do. I don't know what others think, but at the Sept. 12 event, Eddie Cue looked like he just rolled out of bed.
More people hide their eyes when Phil enters stage in his 10 yr old jeans and khaki shirts. Fashion mission not yet completed - it's still frogger's day with Phil, Eddy, Joni...

Last edited:
Reactions: tgara

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Unless of course, you go there to buy something. Then you have a bunch of people just hanging around? Dumb idea. The point of a store is to buy stuff or try stuff. Not hang out.

Hence why they are now calling them “Town Square” locations, and not stores. That was discussed by her in the keynote, as well as in the article linked to this thread.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well, she ran a clothing company, not a tech company. Not sure if that experience as a CEO will translate into running a company based on consumer
electronics and innovation.

I'm not referring to her work development as an executive at Apple. I'm simply stating that she holds herself in a professional manner with her attire, which is why I made the comment about her transition from Burberry.

Last edited:

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Half of her 25mio yearly budget goes into it. Gee man, yet she's soo scary - I always get that Halloween feeling seeing her

Last edited:

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Exactly. This isn't some Xbox press conference, with some awkward guy wearing a video game themed t-shirt and a fedora.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I am curious what her gender has to do with it. Whether you like her or not or think she is powerful or not, why bring up the gender? To me what is relevant is the work she does for Apple and whether it is good or not.

Personally I like the new, large, revamped Apple store new here.

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Let's be real: this whole Apple as a gathering place thing won't work.
They will have some nice flagship store plazas to show off, but generally speaking this just can't work.
Easily over 90% of Apple Stores don't even have enough space for this and in most malls or inner cities they can't just expand the store because it's physically impossible.
Yeah they made a hash of my local mall store remodel. It doesn't look like a gathering place at all. It's barren looking and harshly lit, sales people wander everywhere but we still had to wait almost 20 minutes for one of them to bring an iPad from the back room. I'm not a fan and we avoid going there unless we absolutely have to. I don't see any indication of a place for people to gather comfortably and learn coding or whatever. There is not enough room. The only thing I like better is now I can find watchbands for myself more easily. I'm not trying to be funny, that aspect is improved. They've got more stacks of them the customer can get at.

Once upon a time, there used to be squashy cushions set in front of computers for the kids to play on. It was a distinct kids area where kids could safely be kids while exploring the hardware and software. We bought stuff for a preschooler that we might never have considered before seeing her use it. I understand that they wanted to get rid of computer displays but they could have kept the same setup and put iPads in, instead.

Now teens and adults who are trying to contemplate a purchase have to compete for display items at which little kids are parked, just playing. Most parents are considerate about telling their kids to move aside, but then that's not fun for the kids either.

I do suppose they have a lot more demo units out than they used to. That's nice. But there's just a limit to how much they can realize this gathering place dream with the space they have. I'll just have to take other people's word for it that the locations with the real plaza feel are just brilliant.

Also it's really hard to evaluate Angela Ahrendts' performance when the buying experience is so often plagued by supply shortages nowadays. That definitely casts a pall on trying to buy a product while it's still relatively new in its lifecycle. That is not her fault. But it colors perception of the work that is actually hers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.