Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Dear Angela,

The strategy to announce new products with zero inventory seems like a really bad strategy. AKA, the watch 2015, AKA the jet black iPhone 7. That strategy will see more of your title dropped is my guess.
And the decision on the launch date and the production ramp surely was a decision made solely by Angela Ahrendts. Not.

In the end it frequently is the retail person who is getting criticised because that is where the rubber meets the road (aka the product reaches the customer), even if most decisions on production and launch date have been made by the operations and marketing people.

Last edited:

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Name one iPhone release that hasn't been a 'preorder disaster'.

Demand outstrips supply. It's as simple as that.

Havent seen iPhone delivery estimates drop to 5+ weeks since the iPhone 3G days. It seems to me like they came put with Jet Black last minute to have something for the "look at my phone i got the lateeeest iPhone" audience. Granted thats not her problem

Reactions: AleXXXa

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Dear Angela,

The strategy to announce new products with zero inventory seems like a really bad strategy. AKA, the watch 2015, AKA the jet black iPhone 7. That strategy will see more of your title dropped is my guess.

Thank you,
CM
You might want to take a look at her online specs. Nothing has changed except for a thinner title.
Likely suggested by Johny Ive..

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Name one iPhone release that hasn't been a 'preorder disaster'.
Demand outstrips supply. It's as simple as that.

And with that the juvenile entitlement when in spite of apple cranking out and delivering 800K+ phones per day, there's a delay and feel personally picked on.

Funny how people forget about the past. Conveniently.

Reactions: Gasu E.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
They do need to work on product roll out and their iPhone upgrade plan. It is disappointing I always have to go to senior store or customer service representatives on the phone to get what I need when a situation calls for it.

I do have to give them credit for working hard to fulfill 7 / 7+ orders though.

Charles50

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
I would say Gina Rinehart is more powerful. She is worth currently 12.7 billion US dollars.
Ahrendts didn't inherit her daddy's wealth, she built it on her own. Besides, Rinehart is the last of the 19th century-style robber barons, the future will not be created by mineral prospectors and miners. There are women richer than Ahrendts, even richer than Rinehart, but Ahrendts will have more impact on the future of humanity.

This retitling of her job is not a demotion. Apple recently rebranded Apple Stores to just "Apple." This new job title is a recognition of her consolidation of all sales operations, under her command. Apple has no other executive leaders who are responsible for sales.

Ahrendts is recreating Apple stores as something beyond retail. Look at the first new store opened under Ahrendts' redesign: Mall of the Emirates, Dubai. It has a 6k rez video screen and a forest. A while ago, Ahrendts gave an interview where she described her goal to take Apple stores beyond retail, into a lifestyle experience destination, more of a community center for Apple users, than retail outlet. Look at what she did as CEO at Burberry: she took an aging British fashion brand that was notorious as a lower-class symbol, and turned it into a lifestyle, including a music channel. That's why Apple hired her.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
RIP all the good work Ron Johnson did for Apple when he created and maintained the Apple Stores.

Fixed Apple, but somehow ruined JCPenny.

I personally think the Ron Johnson JCPenny looked good. However, for an apparel company with expiring merchandise that is time sensitive, the minimalistic approach didn't work. (i.e. having 4 shirts on a table of one style vs racks and racks of said style.)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Havent seen iPhone delivery estimates drop to 5+ weeks since the iPhone 3G days. It seems to me like they came put with Jet Black last minute to have something for the "look at my phone i got the lateeeest iPhone" audience. Granted thats not her problem

You're generalising one option with the entire rollout. That's not the case with the iP7 in general.

Yeah, there's a shortage of JB. It's a new manufacturing technique. And as you've read, Apple reject up to 70% of them due to not being up to standard — so I dare say people would be complaining if they were readily available, but not of appropriate quality.

Once they've sorted these early hiccups, it'll be much easier to make with future iterations. There were similar supply problems with the Gold model of the IP5S. And as far as I'm aware, that wasn't even a different process — just a different colour.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Angela Ahrendts is the highest paid, most important, and most powerful woman executive in the world. I predict that someday, after the Tim Cook era, she will become CEO of Apple.
What is interesting is that we have seen few public appearances of or statements by Angela Ahrendts since she joined Apple, while she was a fairly prominent and eloquent executive before that. Partly that probably is because product announcements or demonstrations are handled by the people responsible for the product and the few public remarks about Apple Stores are usually (always?) handled by Tim Cook himself.

I wonder, maybe the head of retail simply doesn't have a lot of clout inside Apple (it is not that we had seen very much of Ron Johnson while he was at Apple) or her coming from outside the company while almost all other executives have risen from within Apple (excluding maybe positions like finance, legal, human resources, environmental efforts that are less Apple-specific).

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
Lol, so many naïve people here.

It's not Angela that decides how many units roll of the band or what the inventory should be at product launch.

It's the finance department that has decided that. That will result in the revenue and the working capital.

Some of her "real" decisions aren't bad at all. And the apple stores in Europe are still very crowded, wether people are buying or not.

ajfahey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Angela Ahrendts is the highest paid, most important, and most powerful woman executive in the world. I predict that someday, after the Tim Cook era, she will become CEO of Apple.
Sure, that's just what Apple needs to continue to develop as a creative technology company, someone with absolutely no experience in being technically creative. But hey, by handing her the reins they's be inclusive and PC which today is so much more valuable than developing products people don't know they want and need.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Some of her "real" decisions aren't bad at all. And the apple stores in Europe are still very crowded, wether people are buying or not.

Very well said. According to the qualified armchair MR CEOs: if Apple Stores are always busy, it's because the management is terrible. If they were empty, it's because nobody wants Apple products anymore and the management is terrible. :D

Truthfully, there isn't a company in the world that wouldn't want the 'problems' Apple have.

Reactions: mr.bee and Gasu E.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
There was the white iPhone 4. That ended up shipping more like 5+ months after the announcement.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
I don't mean to throw shade at Angela, but I do follow Apple and what they are up to like most here, yet I can't seem to see what it is that Angela has brought in terms of rejuvenating or evolving the Apple retail experience, that wasn't being done already?

Installing a few trees in the Dubai store, although a nice idea, hardly seems revolutionary in terms of the legacy left by someone with the position of CEO of retail.

I'm sure there are things behind-the-scenes that I know nothing about, but I just can't fathom what worthwhile changes have been implemented under her reign that weren't around before?

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland

I certainly hope not. I have been buying Apple product for many years due to what in my opinion has been innovative use of technology and quality design. I have no interest in luxury products for the sake of luxury - and definitely don't want Apple to be lead by someone who's experience is with fashion products and likely has little interest in technology.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Apple literally got one if not the worst online store i have to use. Takes forever to find what you are looking for and if you change your mind and feel like looking up something else it takes just as long to simply go back. worst of all when it comes to anything Apple Watch or add-ons

the combination of product page and store is an abomination

An abomination? Holy Smokes!

All the product categories (Mac, iPad, iPhone, ...) are in a static black bar across the top of each page, no matter which category you're currently viewing. And there's a blue Buy button at the top, or a blue Buy link for each product or product category, should you wish to purchase a product in the category you are currently viewing.

For example, if you're currently looking at Watch accessories, and then decide you want to buy a Mac instead, just move your mouse to the top of the page and click "Mac" in the black bar.

Super simple. Much better than before. An excellent change.

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Sure, that's just what Apple needs to continue to develop as a creative technology company, someone with absolutely no experience in being technically creative. But hey, by handing her the reins they's be inclusive and PC which today is so much more valuable than developing products people don't know they want and need.
Is Tim Cook technically creative? Maybe in regard to production methods.
[doublepost=1475445881][/doublepost]
Yeah, that's why we never see anyone criticizing Eddy Cue around here.
Well, Eddy Cue is Eddy Cue. He is in a class of his own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.