Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcoz

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
The tapered edges are necessary for being able to pick it up when it is on a flat surface. Not saying this is how Apple will implement it like in the image but that if the new iPad has a flat back then it must have tapered edges.

It also makes the position of the speaker a more viable option.

If it was flat, 60-70% of that speaker would be covered when set down flat.

Edited because I went back for a second look of the mockup

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Never before has a digital camera shipped with such a large viewfinder. I've said it before and I will say it again. This will be a major selling point. Augmented reality, scanning, and just plain old mucking around. The youngsters and the oldies are gonna LOVE it. And they're the ones who get the most out of iPad anyway. Sorry but anyone who doesn't see the potential of the iPad with a rear facing camera simply lacks vision (no pun intended).

I've been negative on the rear camera all along. But this is the first post that made me reconsider. You are right about the viewfinder size being new. I still can't see things like augmented reality or scanning being much more than nitch, but I'm willing to concede that it might be my lack of vision here that is the problem. I'm ready to be proven wrong.
I'm also ready to buy iPad2 (after allowing for the break-in period to make sure manufacturing quality is up to snuff) and hand over my iPad to girlfriend, Mom, or Sister. Not sure who would like it more though (or who would be most pissed off if not chosen to receive the iPad).

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
This has fake all over it. "iPad 2"? Even if these are prototype images, Apple generally does not name product revisions with numerical increments (the iPhone may be an exception). As others have mentioned, a rear facing camera? I can't imagine holding a large iPad to take a picture. A front facing camera makes more sense for video conferencing.

Fake. Period.
Could you imagine taking a photo with an MP3 Player 5 years ago? 7 Years ago? 10 years ago?

Think outside the box.

Every rumors thread has at least one statement that is "this is so unlike Apple", until they do it of course, and then it is soooo Apple. :rolleyes:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Were you not born with muscles in your body? Can you not hold up a book? If you can, then you will have no problem using an iPad with a rear facing camera. COME ON, have you used an iPhone 4 yet? Hold the iPad in your hand and pretend you're pressing an onscreen button. It's not difficult in the SLIGHTEST. Sorry that you're so confused by a few inches in size. It happens.

These cameras cost nothing, they fit in with Apple's FaceTime world, why are you talking like it's a horrible idea? Not only is it a GREAT idea, it's a NO BRAINER idea, and it's an "ALREADY BEEN DONE in two other Apple products" idea.

Let's keep calm about this.

Back aaaaaway from the caffeine. :p (sorry, I find this last line to be amusing as everyone seems so intense today)

Yes, I have muscles, I'm not meat with eyes (random Lewis Black reference). My point (and the point of others) was that it seems awkward/cumbersome (not "heavy") to use an iPad as a camera to take pictures. The iPhone makes more sense as you simply carry it in your pocket while the iPad isn't as convenient (unless you use a bag or carry around a large tablet all day on a vacation or such). That's all I stated.

You don't get it.
Shall I repeat it once more or is it a bit clearer now?

Are you serious??? what about all those apps that *require* a rear facing camera like Word Lens and other upcoming augmented reality apps? It won't be used *just* for taking pictures...

Every rumors thread has at least one statement that is "this is so unlike Apple", until they do it of course, and then it is soooo Apple. :rolleyes:

And the same could be stated for the others.

Sweet Jesus, can nobody make a statement without someone getting their panties in a bunch lol? I "get it" and I "understand", and yes I can see a purpose for it other than pictures. See above for rest.

Everybody, breathe, relax, calm down. I understand other purposes of a rear facing camera, my opinion was regarding form factor in picture taking. There are a lot of opinions on here, I could be wrong, you could be wrong. Putting others down because you do not agree with their opinion(s) stiffles comments from others and makes for a hostile and not so fun experience. As the saying goes, "opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one and they all stink" :p

Pretty fruitless on a device that cannot stand on it's own if you ask me. And how in the world would one SEE what is on screen and interact with the app if he is standing in front of the REAR iPad camera? The front facing camera is all that is needed for that.

Some are stating that you can hold the iPad with the rear facing camera and walk around as it would display stores, building, etc. on the screen. I believe this is already on the iPhone? I would laugh watching someone walk down the street holding an iPad.

I guess you cannot have an opinion on MacRumors without a few people have a conniption fit ;).

Last edited by a moderator:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
This doesn't look right. Apple wouldn't put "iPad 2" on the back cover, it would just be "iPad" as in everything else. I've never seen them put a version number on the back of their products. Another fake.

aplqna

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Maryland
Last years Model looked like a big iPhone, this like a big iPod Touch.

My friend, I don't know what iPhones you've used.... perhaps a counterfeit from China.... but none have looked like the current iPad. It has some of the angularity and subtle tapered edges of the bottom casing of Macbook Pro, if anything.

You don´t have to like it, but saiing it dos not mesh is wrong.

No, I am quite right. Those trained in design as I am will notice right off the bat that this proposed design does not mesh with ANY current design concept from Apple. Not even the rounded nature of the current Macbook.

The rear cam is important for augmented reality stuff. With Kinect, the PS Eye, the PSP Eye, the DSis Cammeras and Cellphone Cammeras asides from every PCs Webcam this is not a marked you would want to miss. It might finaly explode very soon.

Pretty fruitless on a device that cannot stand on it's own if you ask me. And how in the world would one SEE what is on screen and interact with the app if he is standing in front of the REAR iPad camera? The front facing camera is all that is needed for that.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
whether it's real or fake. Just like the iphone 4 when it leaked.

people will call it ugly, then when it comes out buy it.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
Don't like tapered edges, looks worse than the current generation - that's a downgrade in terms of looks.

Don't like the look of the speaker grill and I won't use the speakers anyway; I'd rather have a flap that reveals the mini-USB and SD Card slot, but that's unlikely, so...

Don't like the slanted edges, which makes it hard to tap the volume buttons, lock / unlock and turn on orient... oh, wait, well, I won't be using that switch.

Hopefully Apple will create something that looks better than this and forget the rubbish tapered edges: it's hard to press the side buttons, and the only advantage is it sits on a table. Don't get me wrong, if Apple releases it, the cameras, 512mb RAM and a faster processor, will force me to ignore the looks and buy it.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
This doesn't look right. Apple wouldn't put "iPad 2" on the back cover, it would just be "iPad" as in everything else. I've never seen them put a version number on the back of their products. Another fake.

Can no one read? I've read this point time and time again. Yet from the article we see:

The shell, which has been marked by developer Gopod Mobile with “iPad 2” and “128GB” logos that would not appear on the actual device, is being shown paired with an iPad 2-specific foldable rechargeable battery pack developed by the company, and depicts the revised device’s redesigned curves, ports, and cameras; it is said by Gopod to represent the actual appearance of the as-yet-unreleased thinner and slightly smaller iPad.

Of course the logos are fake. It says so in the article. The question is whether or not the design of the shell is legitimate.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Can no one read? I've read this point time and time again. Yet from the article we see:

God, enough with the personal insults! Are we adults? Let's try to treat others with the same respect you would like. Yes, people CAN read, otherwise they would not be responding to comments, which, requires reading.

Understanding OTOH may be another matter. How do you know you are right? How do you know someone else is wrong? There are some strong opinions on something as silly as a rear facing camera on an Apple device. Some simply believe that holding up a large device for taking pictures and walking around for augmented reality a but foolish (not because it's heavy but awkward to hold). The iPhone is a perfect device for those features. That is my OPINION. It does not make me or anyone else "stupid" or incapable of reading comprehension. :)

I'd hate to see some of you in politics. ;)

marconiusrex

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
....If this is really it!

I think the tapered machined aluminum edge on the current iPad is a much more sophisticated and polished product from an industrial design standpoint than the mock up in this photo.

:confused:

If this is it, I hope they refine it more.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
No **** thats fake. We are looking purely at the design.

Wow. Sorry, I'm not Ms. Cleo. No one made any comment on its authenticity, unless you know something we don't. If it's "fake" why are you even bothering "looking at the design"? :rolleyes:

PS nice way to address someone.

alec's comment was entirely deserved. if you can't read and understand an article about an obvious MOCKUP built by a third party to demonstrate new accessories, then you deserve an abrupt schooling. which, of course, various other posters have already done ;)

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
alec's comment was entirely deserved. if you can't read and understand an article about an obvious MOCKUP built by a third party to demonstrate new accessories, then you deserve an abrupt schooling. which, of course, various other posters have already done ;)

1. I wasn't "schooled"

2. This is all theoretical debate, thus I have not made/am not making statements with finality, simply observations as everyone else

3. I love you all! Let's hug it out :)

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
I don't like the shape of the back. Although its more functional, the curved back looks way cooler. Maybe it'll grow on me.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008
My friend, I don't know what iPhones you've used.... perhaps a counterfeit from China.... but none have looked like the current iPad. It has some of the angularity and subtle tapered edges of the bottom casing of Macbook Pro, if anything.

No, I am quite right. Those trained in design as I am will notice right off the bat that this proposed design does not mesh with ANY current design concept from Apple. Not even the rounded nature of the current Macbook.

I wrote a lot of **** no one would have understood because of my Germanness.

design_looks20100901.jpg

Thats how it will look. Maybe "brushed" to avoide Fingerprints. Maybe a little tweak here and there to adjust it to the size and hands.

features_twocameras20100901.jpg

Bigger Screen, borders all the way around not just top and bottom.

Looks a lot less ***** than that China MockUp if your mind builds it from actual Apple products, dos it?

Like with iPet PSP or Invincimals of cause. I think there are iPhone games that use it like this aswell... were you Play an RPG in the real world, looking on screen you see a ferry standing in the street ect.
...the iPad in itself was pritty **** a year ago, what Steve Showed us was nothing to me... What made it awsome were the Apps created for it´s potential... KORG, Sketchbook... if the camera is there, something good will come of it. (you´ll only need to avoide the 1000 ****** Apps that also use it)

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
God, enough with the personal insults! Are we adults? Let's try to treat others with the same respect you would like. Yes, people CAN read, otherwise they would not be responding to comments, which, requires reading.

Understanding OTOH may be another matter. How do you know you are right? How do you know someone else is wrong? There are some strong opinions on something as silly as a rear facing camera on an Apple device. Some simply believe that holding up a large device for taking pictures and walking around for augmented reality a but foolish (not because it's heavy but awkward to hold). The iPhone is a perfect device for those features. That is my OPINION. It does not make me or anyone else "stupid" or incapable of reading comprehension. :)

I'd hate to see some of you in politics. ;)

You're right, I should have been more polite and of course you're right that people can read. However, it seems that many don't read the original article. It's frustrating to read the forums only to see people speculating on something that is explained in the article in plain text with no room for misinterpretation. All I ask is that people read the article before jumping into the comments. It's a common courtesy, just as much as politeness is.

DrRadon

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2008

I wrote a lot of **** no one would have understood because of my Germanness.

design_looks20100901.jpg

Thats how it will look. Maybe "brushed" to avoide Fingerprints and a bid thicker.

features_twocameras20100901.jpg

Bigger Screen, borders all the way around not just top and bottom.

Looks a lot less ***** than that China MockUp if your mind builds it from actual Apple products, dos it?

Also, to me, the Side of the iPhone looks a lot like the curent gen iPad.

overview-facetime-20100607.png

hero_20101116.jpg

Just like with the iPod Touch... a cupple of different buttons, a bit thicker and the edges changed a bit more hand and weight frindly so you don´t feel uncomfortable wen it presses down on your hand.... but it´s clearly in line with iOS Devices. Just because it dos not look like the iPhone times three dos not make it a tolly different design.

Like with iPet PSP or Invincimals of cause. I think there are iPhone games that use it like this aswell... were you Play an RPG in the real world, looking on screen you see a ferry standing in the street ect.
...the iPad in itself was pritty **** a year ago, what Steve Showed us was nothing to me... What made it awsome were the Apps created for it´s potential... KORG, Sketchbook... if the camera is there, something good will come of it. (you´ll only need to avoide the 1000 ****** Apps that also use it)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.