Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French website Nowhereelse.fr has shared new photos for another possible third-party case for the so-called "iPad Pro" tablet. The black protective cover has cutouts for a Lightning connector, rear-facing camera and microphone, volume rocker, mute switch and power button, consistent with previous iPad Air and iPad mini designs. The case does not have a cutout on the left side like the purported iPad Pro case that surfaced last month, nor does it have speaker cutouts due to having a different design that leaves the top and bottom edges exposed.

iPad-Pro-Case-Leak-1.jpg

This second third-party case appears to originate from a Chinese accessory maker that also makes cases for the iPad Air 2, providing yet another side-by-side comparison of how much larger the iPad Pro could be alongside current iPad models. The veracity of the source is questionable, but this case is largely consistent with past leaks. The photos lack an object for size reference, but the case does appear to be large enough to house the iPad Pro, which has been rumored to feature a 12.2-inch to 12.9-inch screen.

iPad-Pro-Case-vs-iPad-Air-2.jpg

A lack of physical hardware and component leaks for the oft-rumored iPad Pro has resulted in these third-party cases providing the clearest hints about the sizing, features, and design of the 12-inch tablet. The iPad Pro is rumored to feature a triple-core A8X or A9 processor, 2GB of RAM and Touch ID, and may ship with an optional stylus. Multiple reports claim that Apple will begin to mass produce the iPad Pro, also referred to as the "iPad Air Plus," in the first half of 2015. Another report claims that the tablet could launch between April and June.

Article Link: Another Purported 'iPad Pro' Case Shown in New Photos

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
The form factor looks to be the same as the current iPad, simply larger.

I would love to hear from Apple and even speculation here, what applications and uses this would be suited towards? Would everything we do now be better on this iPad, if we are at home and can have a large device? Or would some applications and uses still be better on Air 2? Or would Air 2 only be needed for a bit more portability?

At this point, it's hard for me to know what would be best for me.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
The form factor looks to be the same as the current iPad, simply larger.

I would love to hear from Apple and even speculation here, what applications and uses this would be suited towards? Would everything we do now be better on this iPad, if we are at home and can have a large device? Or would some applications and uses still be better on Air 2? Or would Air 2 only be needed for a bit more portability?

At this point, it's hard for me to know what would be best for me.

i would expect another row of icons on the spring board as well as inside the folder layout (folder bit is most likely wishful thinking) . on top of it you will have a whole new experience using it in landscape mode being able to read more at once than ever before.

(I may or may not be kidding)

zergslayer69

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Thought I saw a stylus slot in the bottom corner in first pic. Will likely be disappointed though. Probably will have us carry a stylus (if it exists) loose so that it's easy to lose and thus will have to buy another.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I wonder if the iPad will just GO the way of the iPod and be forgotten. Sales surely aren't looking up, and Apple refuses to properly adapt iOS for the iPad.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Wow the iPad pro is so innovative, with a bigger screen and a new interface, and also the ability to download yosemite and use it as a laptop Didn't mean to hate on this

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
That's a pretty weak story Mac Rumors! I mean you just have the back of a case, which looks exactly the same as the back of any other iPad case, so how does anyone know it's real and not just a blown up existing case? If this was real I think they would be showing holes for the rumoured dual speakers etc?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I am not seeing the point of this, if this is just a bigger iPad. From the looks of it, that's what its looking like.

lowercaseperson

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2006
I am not seeing the point of this, if this is just a bigger iPad. From the looks of it, that's what its looking like.

You know I was thinking the exact same thing, until I started thinking about home implementation. A bigger iPad could be really cool mounted in the kitchen to watch TV on and pull up recipes.

The premium price would probably preclude most from purchasing it for that reason (including myself)...but it would be nice!

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
i would expect another row of icons on the spring board as well as inside the folder layout (folder bit is most likely wishful thinking) . on top of it you will have a whole new experience using it in landscape mode being able to read more at once than ever before.

(I may or may not be kidding)

Give me an extra icon on the dock as well and it would be everything I'd want from a new iPad.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I have to agree, what's the point of this?

I'm excited about Surface Pro 3 (don't have one) as I can see the usefulness.

This? I don't go "man, I wish my iPad Air 2 is bigger".

If iPad Pro is something of a SP3 clone, meh. I just don't see it. In this case, I rather have the 12" Retina MBA instead.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
I just don't see the point in this unless the specs compare to a MBP.

At this point specs mean very little.

Why would you want the MBP specs in an iPad running iOS? The OS needs updating for iPad and not just a blown up phone OS. Until that's done who really cares about the specs or how thin it is, your old one will still do everything the new one does - and that's a large reason for why the iPad sales are falling.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
The ipad has been out for 5 years, the iPad mini came out in 2012 with a very small update in 2014. Now rumor has it apple will make a larger ipad! Really? I'm at a loss for words. Get with the program apple and put stuff out sooner, it doesn't take that long to make something larger or smaller. :confused:

Skoal

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2009
Agreed. Hence why I'd want MBP specs before I'd buy a huge iPad that will be more awkward to use just because it's bigger, slightly faster, and has Touch ID. By specs I include an OS that would bring it on par with a true "pro" user experience.

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
I wonder if the iPad will just GO the way of the iPod and be forgotten. Sales surely aren't looking up, and Apple refuses to properly adapt iOS for the iPad.

Ipad is an enormous business and has a lot of potential. It's just that the iPad itself haven't changed a lot since the iPad 2 ( like you mention. they have to adapt the OS!!! ) and people don't buy a new ipad every two years. That's why sales are staggering.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/sl...azon/ipad_1.png.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.png

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
Hopefully the iPad Pro uses the x86 platform and an Intel Atom chip. If so this would provide some hope for binary compatibility with OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.