Antenna is still an issue even with Verizon iPhone, NOT HAPPY!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BriChi, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BriChi macrumors 6502

fyi guys, I just activated my new iPhone, called my wife, held the phone in my left hand to my ear as I normally do with the Incredible, signal dropped down to 1 bar and dropped call, I "may" get a bumper or simply return it and wait to see if they fix this in June.... So disappointed in Apple

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Thats weird, I never could get my AT&T phone to do that even when I tried to do a DEATH GRIP.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

So all these stories I hear about Verizon having great service and no dropped calls are overstated?

4. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

How is it "still" an issue, when it never was an issue?

5. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Well they never claimed there was some kind of "fix". They said they reworked the antenna to accommodate the CDMA radio and not to alleviate the attenuation. They weren't lying...

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Took the words off my mouth :)

7. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

What made you think it wouldn't do that?

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I've been saying this... It's not a network issue it's a hardware issue, radio. I thought the Verizon version has qualcomm chipset which would give it better signal.

9. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

VERY good information. I was going to switch from Cingular to Verizon to hopefully fix this problem. Thanks for the update. Let us know if you get better service or less dropped calls. Sucks to know you still have to hold your phone a certain way.:eek:

10. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

how is it not an issue, the "death grip" on the iPhone 4 drops the signal down to nothing since it's been released, Why do you think they gave out free bumpers.. Maybe for some people with a really strong signal in different parts of the world it was fine, but in NY, it drops as soon as I cover the gap on the bottom left of the phone, call then drops

I figured it may have been moved to the top where no one holds the phone so you can't short it out, guess not

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I can still reproduce this on my ATT iPhone 4. Only when literally squeezing the phone like I'm trying to choke it though.

12. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

They gave out free bumpers because it was a PR nightmare for them and they wanted to make customers happy.

They can't just "move it to the top of the phone" because the antennas are tuned for a specific frequency.

Every phone does this. Every phone.

13. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

To appease people, basically. Why do you think they stopped giving away free bumpers?

14. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

but the problem still happens, so why did they stop. I can easily make my phone drop a call by holding it in my left hand like I always do...

I dont understand how people can defend that this is not an issue,Just because it doesn't happen to you does not mean it does not exist for other people. No it does not happen on EVERY phone, from what people are saying, it depends on the area you are in and how strong your signal is.

youtube "antenna problem on iphone 4" watch the dozens of videos on people reproducing this

15. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

LMAO great comeback, no sarcasm intended :)

16. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

How can you see the bars with the phone next to your ear? Are you a flounder? :rolleyes:

17. ripper998 macrumors regular

Sometimes it takes a second for the signal strength to change so if he looked at his phone right after it dropped then he would see.

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Because the "problem" is well publicised and people are buying the phone with the knowledge that they may have a problem if they are in a weak signal area and hold it so that the antenna is bridged

Moving the antenna to the outside of the phone may have exacerbated this problem, but it does improve the signal: I get 3 bars on my iPhone 4 and can make calls in places where my wife's 3GS is stuck with "no signal" or 1 bar at best

If you cover the antenna on any phone it will cause the signal to attenuate and you will lose bars. The main issue with the iPhone is the left hand side where the two antennas meet. That hasn't been changed on the VZ phone so it was always going to behave in the same way.

Personally, it's never been an issue for me even though I live in a weak signal area because I've got my phone in a case

19. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I certainly hope we don't start having these arguments again on here. Yes, Antenna issue...No antenna issue...I thought we left these behind last year. :confused:

After 2 weeks of AT&T sucks and Verizon rules (and vice versa) threads, I just want us all to get along!

Anyway...us AT&T folk will let you know in 4 or 5 months if our new phones have any type of antenna problem. ;)

20. tac22 macrumors 6502

Oh come on, this is ridiculous.

I just activated mine 15 minutes ago and can not reProduce the problem, and I only have 2 bars at my house and it doesn't drop any.

And I was easily able to reproduce it on my AT&T iPhone*

*I sold my AT&T iPhone about 25 days ago and opened a account verizon account on an old dumb phone so I could preorder.

I had switched to AT&T last summer for iPhone 4

21. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Not for me, I am squeezing the death out of mine with all three antenna spots and all I get is one bar drop even after 10 minutes, so issue is a non issue for me.

22. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

The thing is though, I can not reproduce it. There are many articles and videos saying they tried to reproduce it and could not. Even when I'm in a weak signal area, it can't be done on my phone, and I've gripped it for about six minutes the one time, still 5 bars.

Are there videos showing attenuation? Yes, I've seen them, I've read about them. But I do not believe it to be an issue. There are too many factors to consider in all of it. But Apple never thought it was an issue, and because I could not get it to happen (nor the other 30+ people I know with iPhone 4's), I believed it to not be an issue.

23. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

no, You fanboys are all alike, so quick to defend apple when this issue does exist for a lot of people,,, but when I dial the call with 3-4 bars, then I drop the call while I am on it, it's at 1 bar.

I shot a quick video, Holding the phone in my left hand as I would as if it's against my ear, you can see the bars drop to 1, I let go towards the end of the video and they shoot back up. This time the call didn't drop but my previous test the call failed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mapJbaeDSWQ

24. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Well if you tightly squeeze your phone with your palm during a call then Steve is on point when he says "you're not holding it right."

25. BriChi thread starter macrumors 6502

Im not tightly squeezing it, its the same hold as if it was against my left ear resting in my palm, In the video I held it a little tighter because it drops a lot quicker the tighter you hold it, the video was long and boring enough, didn't want it to take any longer. Amazing though how I can do the same grip on all the other previous iphone and my Droid Inc and the signal does not budge, BUT CLEARLY THERE IS NO ISSUE HERE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.