Anticipated new features for the 2016 MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stanw, Feb 28, 2016.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

Are there any expected/anticipated new features for the 2016 MB? I'm guessing updated processor, graphics card...what else?

Thanks.

2. gooser macrumors 6502a

3. keviig macrumors 6502

I'd say Skylake is guaranteed to be in the '16 rMB. Should bring roughly +20% CPU performance, +30-40% GPU performance and a bit better battery life. The USB C port will probably be changed to a TB3 port (which is the same port physically, but with more bandwidth and features). Also, I'm expecting an upgrade to a 720p webcam.

4. mjs402 macrumors 6502

720p webcam and Thunderbolt 3 please. And obviously Skylake processor. Other than that, not much I would expect.

Because seriously, this webcam is crap.

5. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Nothing.

The RMB will not be updated at all this year.

BJ

6. Koudspeel, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

Koudspeel macrumors regular

Koudspeel

They'll do a silent update this year. Skylake processor is a given. The Skylake processor will bring 20% extra computing power and 40% extra graphical power. Possibly an Alpine Ridge controller for TB3 support through the USB-C connector. A price reduction is also a good possibility. I'm not sure about the webcam quality. Unless they've found a way to make a 720p camera module thinner I wouldn't say that they'd upgrade the camera.

EDIT: USB 3.1 might also be added.

7. Voley macrumors regular

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This sounds correct. I could also see them adding a second TB3 port, but that is a big maybe. Everything you mentioned is a guarantee in my mind.

9. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I havent thought it needed any updating. I've never once used the cam, and i think once tested the hdmi with the apple adapter and once used usb to load office from a portable dvd/cd. I've used it everyday for the number of months ive had it, mainly for email, browsing web, streaming movies. Actually, i'm getting bored with it. Its lost its lustre for me. I"m thinking about the hp spectre 360. I like the build (all alum) and the yoga aspect.

10. gman901 macrumors 6502a

Quick question, if they updated the MBA with a full glass (minimal borders) hi res screen, but everything is similar with upgraded processors, would you go for the MB or go back to the MBA? Let's assume the base MBA prices will be $300-$400 less than the base MB.

11. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

MBA for sure.

I've been a fan of the MBA for years. It's the perfect laptop for me...but the screen looks pretty bad compared to the higher res displays we see everywhere else. For me at least, the screen is the only thing holding back the MBA.

12. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

I would hope that an update is coming soon. I have an 11" 2011 macbook air that has been serving me well, yet the battery life is awful. I am lucky to get 3 hours with 50% screen light while browsing. After seeing the retina display on this thing, and hoping for an update, I may bite. However, the price is steep as I will be getting it fully loaded.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I really believe the Air will not see another update. "Air" signifies light and portable, and the new macbook took over that role. I believe they will drop the macbook air. They will keep selling the current model, but will not keep it around going forward.

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

How would the Air be $300-400 less with a similar, but larger screen, a more expensive processor, and more parts?

The Air is only cheaper because of the low resolution screen.

15. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Exactly.

The only people who want this mystifying "updated" version are Air users who are lusting after something new, which is fair considering how archaic their notebooks are. But they should be posting their hopes and dreams in the Air subforum, not here.

For those who understand its purpose, the RMB needs no updating at this time. We don't need a faster processor, we don't want more ports. We want features that directly correspond to the reason we bought the notebook to begin with- form factor. When a new type of aluminum is invented that keeps rigidity but reduces weight by 30%, update the RMB. When a new battery is developed that is half the thickness and increases battery life by 100%, update the RMB. When a wafer-thin HD camera is invented that can fit inside the lid, update the RMB.

This isn't the typical MacBook, folks. This isn't a Pro or an Air which needs to keep up with the Joneses. The RMB is not predicated on massive amounts of processing horsepower, it's not designed to have backwards compatibility with any old peripherals, it's given away things like MagSafe and HD cameras and powerful processors to be the thinnest/lightest travel companion possible. And only things that increase it's travel compatibility will be considered worthy enough to stop the production line and retool.

BJ

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

While I very much agree with everything you said, I would be shocked if it did not see yearly spec updates. I personally think anyone waiting on the "skylake" update should jump all over the bestbuy prices right now. There is nothing you are going to accomplish with skylake on the rMB that you cannot currently do. Any shortcomings you have with the device will still be there.

The machine either fits the bill, or it doesn't.

17. IowaLynn macrumors 6502a

IowaLynn

Most of my reason for not wanting the Air, even though people like theirs... older SSDis also slower and smaller, and forget living inside 4GB RAM. 8GB is fully utilized 90%+ on 10.11.3

18. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

+1

Excellent post. I'm not against spec updates mind you, I just don't think that with everything else Apple has on its plate in revamping it's notebook assortment that they have a financial need to update a product that essentially has been in a good stock position and available for sale in stores for 6 months. It doesn't matter when a product is introduced, it matters when the supply chain launch is complete and the inventory position is optimum. Apple may have announced the RMB last March but I myself couldn't find one to buy until May (and it was through a third-party distributor in Manhattan mind you) and you couldn't find one in a store until July and the stores didn't have every color/configuration until late August for Back To School.

So to people who think the RMB is a year old need to think again, it's really a newborn from a supply chain perspective. It will be updated eventually, but I'd say there's a 25% chance that would occur in September 2016 and a 75% chance it happens in March 2017.

BJ

19. Three141 macrumors 6502

Three141

Lol, I remember when we was waiting for the 2011 MBP update and this argument was roaring on, Apple and those who said OD was dead were right.

I would like them to add another USB-C port, 16gb ram option and get the removal of the audio jack.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 29, 2016 ---
    11" MBA mainly due to price.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 29, 2016 ---
    Unfortunately I think you're right but I hope you're not, I like the Air name/branding, I am hoping this 'retina' MacBook gets promoted to Air and kills off/replaces the current 11" air.

20. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

The Air is Apple's cheapest notebook, non-retina versions will become the iPhone 5C of the line, inexpensive and for emerging third-world markets.

The Air is also Apple's enterprise notebook, the Pro (overkill and heavy) and the RMB (portless and pricey) can't serve the need for the IT departments whose basic executives need a dockable and backwards-compatible option. A redesigned Air with a retina display fits the bill here.

BJ

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

is it really? I see most people getting pros. I think they might have their entry level problem solved with a year old macbook. Sell it for $300 less than the new one, and people can get a rMB for $999 (about as entry as a mac gets, current air is $899)

22. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

90% of the people I see with MacBook's have Air's as they are lighter and less expensive for IT budgets in large corporations. Someone joins a company, IT guy asks "Windows or Mac?", if it's a Mac, it's an Air.

10% of the people I see with MacBook's have Pro's but they are in creative services or media creation or programming and need the horsepower that casual business-people don't.

BJ

23. Quicklite macrumors regular

24. Jayderek macrumors 6502

Jayderek

they would have to make this notebook larger then...not going to happen

25. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I agree. I think the low travel sticks. They also probably invested a lot of r&d into the butterfly mechanism that is used.