Any 4.7" users thinking about the iPhone SE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JerTheGeek, Feb 28, 2016.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Ive had my iPhone 6 since August of last year. Before that I had used an iPhone 5s for almost a year, and I really liked it, I always said that it was the best size and I would never switch. But, I got an unexpected upgrade, and got the 6, and now I love it. The screen size really is great and since I have bigger hands, I have no problems using it one handed.
    However, I am slightly tempted by the iPhone SE rumors. It would actually be an upgrade from the 6 with the improved 12mp camera and Live Photos, as well as the A9 processor. It seems like it might be really nice. I'm not sure if I would actually want to give up the screen size, but it may me nice to use a 4 inch iPhone again. Anyone else thinking the same?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68000

I doubt they will add live photos and the 12mp camera. It they did it would be called the iPhone 6s se or whatever. Calling it the 5se probably means it will be an iPhone 5s but just updated specs. Maybe with an A9 but I would bet on an A8. The big difference between the 5s and 5se would be it would have Apple pay

3. AirdanMR macrumors 6502

That's why latest rumors say it's going to be called "iPhone SE" no 5.

4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yep, I really think Apple is making this a "flagship" 4 inch model, only thing it's missing is 3D Touch.

5. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Well I haven't followed the rumors because there's a 0% chance I'll buy one. Only reason I left ios because of the small screen and at minimum I would want a 4.5 inch device. I wouldn't expect much in the 4 inch iPhone unless you desire the smaller screen with Apple pay basically

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I am. Have the iPhone 6 right now, and the new 4-inch iPhone sounds really appealing. I'll be buying it first day.

You really haven't been paying attention have you.

7. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

As much as I love my 6, I'm still curious and intrigued about the 4 inch size again, especially since it will (mostly) have the latest specs.

8. AirdanMR macrumors 6502

But you also have 4,7 inch option. What's your point then?

I'm at the other side. I'm tired of big phones, just want something small, maximum 4,5 better 4 inch but with nice quality, so this iPhone SE sounds really nice.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yup. I actually do like the 6, but for the way I use my iPhone...I'll gladly go back to the 5s-size. It's why I dumped my 13" rMBP for the 12-inch MacBook. And considering it will more or less be a flagship iPhone, I'm all in.

10. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I'll be getting the 5se to go with my 6. And then when the 7 Plus is finally out. It will be perfect for when I don't want the bigger phone with me.

11. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'm not. I think 4.7" is already too small. I played it safe on the 6/6+ launch day and went with the normal 6, but this year for the 7, I'll go with the 7+.

12. Talkingtoaster macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

I can use the 6 plus one handed and can hold a basketball with one hand. But i will get the 5se to use for cellular calls, which is rare. The 6 plus will do everything else and be a dedicated satnav and music hub. Also when I travel and don't want to take the 5se and iPad i can use the 6 plus for everything in one device. So I will buy the new 5se, i have been saving a contract upgrade until this comes out and will get it free.

13. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

In thinking that, while i really enjoy the 6, if I was to switch back to a 4", I may really enjoy that size again, especially the ease of one handed use. Decisions......

14. Dominion2009, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

Dominion2009 macrumors member

Dominion2009

Hey guys first post. I was an Android guy for years and I had the first couple Note series phones. I was always saying I'd never go back to a small phone but I slowly got sick of lugging such a large phone around. They really do get in the way sooner or later. So I then moved to the Sony compact series after having the Moto X 2013. Love the convenience of a one handed phone more so than any advantage of a large screen. Lately I've been getting sick of Androids lack of updates if not a Nexus so I picked up my son's old iphone 5 and i've been using it for a couple weeks. I have to say that I'm really enjoying the size. The screen definitely small though and ideally I'd like a 4.2-3ish screen while keeping the same form factor. I did own a 6s for some time but even that is a little large but it's all because of the bezels that Apple uses. I think I'll play it by ear and decide if the 4" se is spec'd high enough to upgrade. I'm sure it will be and I'll have one until the 7 comes out to maybe sway me back to a 4.7. Btw I run my entire Roofing /siding company from my phone and I find I can do all I need in the field from 4" phone.lol. I'll be posting in the iPad forum next to ask which one to get because ideally I'd use one for work at home . Well looking forward to learning more about Apple from you all!

15. mobutt macrumors 6502

I'm on a 6S plus but the SE sounds really appealing. Im tired of this, hurts my thumb. If I'm not impressed by the SE I will be looking to purchase a 6S.

16. phositadc macrumors 6502

I have a 6s, and if the SE has 2gb ram I'll definitely get one.

17. Dominion2009 macrumors member

Dominion2009

Yes..this would be big. With the lower resolution screen and the internals of the 6s, this thing would fly!

18. phositadc macrumors 6502

Yep, and even more importantly than speed, it would have zero issues with app and browser tab reloads due to lack of ram!

19. Dominion2009 macrumors member

Dominion2009

Early rumors were 1gb but that was also coupled the the A8 so I'm hoping if A9, they would keep the band together. Lol

20. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I would think a9. Makes sense.

21. phositadc macrumors 6502

A8+1gb and I'd probably pass. A9+1gb I'd consider it. A9+2gb and I'll buy the second it's available.

22. Dominion2009 macrumors member

Dominion2009

yep..agree. We shall see soon.

23. stevemiller macrumors 65816

hopefully there is a 4" option to the 7S series. i'd enjoy going back to that form factor, but i don't want to re-buy early just for size.

24. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I would think this will be a size that they maybe update every two years. Who knows, perhaps it'll be a yearly March update cycle.

25. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Yep. Only if it has aa9 with the latest camera & a 128 option, that being said if it does come out will see what september brings as well, if no 7 mini then i will grab a SE