Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
iOS 7 effectively destroyed the experience and usability of my iPhone 4. Since upgrading it is a SLUGGGggg! With no option to downgrade to 6, surely there must be a class action brewing.. or so I hope. Anyone know?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I'm not aware of any but I could certainly understand the sentiment.

Hoping 7.1 will fix it.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Slowdown on older devices is hardly anything new. The 3GS could barely handle iOS 6. The first gen iPads could barely handle iOS 5.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not enough objective evidence to say something is actually bad to the point of completely destroying previously existing functionality, so not likely at all.

7.1 is on the horizon and could potentially improve things as well.

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I always love the "I hope they get sued" mentality. That seems to be the first thing to pop in people's minds these days.

If companies cared about anything other than money I would agree. It's part of the world we live in, companies don't give a damn about their users so the only way to affect change is to hit in the wallet.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If companies cared about anything other than money I would agree. It's part of the world we live in, companies don't give a damn about their users so the only way to affect change is to hit in the wallet.

Agreed, But there are other ways instead of immediately going to the suing route. Complain, don't buy the products, tell your friends and family your experience, use your voice and your freedom to choose. I just can't stand the immediate "just sue" response.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I always love the "I hope they get sued" mentality. That seems to be the first thing to pop in people's minds these days.

My seeking to join a suit is not to get money! I just want a downgrade option!! Is that really too difficult a task for Apple? :mad: If Apple can't figure out how to downgrade my existing phone then give me a refurbed iPhone 4 with iOS 6 on it!

----------

Not enough objective evidence to say something is actually bad to the point of completely destroying previously existing functionality, so not likely at all.

7.1 is on the horizon and could potentially improve things as well.

My phone is so sluggish and lags so much when executing most any function, even scrolling thru a webpage, that YES, my previous "functionality" has been destroyed.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
My goal for a suit is not to get money! I just want a downgrade option!! Is that really too difficult a task for Apple? :mad:

I actually didn't even assume that you were wanting to sue for money. I'm just saying that there are other ways to try an effect change other than immediately going the suing route. And I do agree that Apple should recognize what the software has done to older phones and should do something to make it right.

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
My goal for a suit is not to get money! I just want a downgrade option!! Is that really too difficult a task for Apple? :mad:

I actually didn't even assume that you were wanting to sue for money. I'm just saying that there are other ways to try an effect change other than immediately going the suing route. And I do agree that Apple should recognize what the software has done to older phones and should do something to make it right.

Ok, good point. Yes, I don't care how it happens, I just want to get Apple's attention and I'm just 1 noname guy here. I was hoping for some "class action" more than a "suit".

Well, maybe I can just call their cust srv line and ask for a refurb with iOS 6. ;)

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, good point. Yes, I don't care how it happens, I just want to get Apple's attention and I'm just 1 noname guy here. I was hoping for some "class action" more than a "suit".

Well, maybe I can just call their cust srv line and ask for a refurb with iOS 6. ;)

I apologize, I don't mean to sound like a jerk. Just boils my blood a bit that suing seems to be becoming a natural reaction to everything.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My seeking to join a suit is not to get money! I just want a downgrade option!! Is that really too difficult a task for Apple? :mad: If Apple can't figure out how to downgrade my existing phone then give me a refurbed iPhone 4 with iOS 6 on it!

----------

My phone is so sluggish and lags so much when executing most any function, even scrolling thru a webpage, that YES, my previous "functionality" has been destroyed.
Well, that's pretty far from destroyed, right?

Take any older hardware for PC and run even some basic things like a browser, even using an older OS, and it will still obviously lag compared to newer hardware. Where are the lawsuits there?

That said, the ability to downgrade OS versions in general, that should be there for many reasons (this kind of thing being one of them).

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

Maybe something is wrong with your phone? My mom has an 8GB iPhone 4 and she says her phone is a lot more responsive with iOS 7. I also did a clean install on it rather than an upgrade. She thinks its a whole new phone and has put off upgrading.

bo1500000

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
I have two older iPhone 4 models that I lit the kids play with. IOS7 seems about on par as IOS6 after a clean install. I also jailbroke them and added some apps that speed up the UI.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Suing because your device is too old to support new software is pretty stupid, there isn't any leeway in this argument. This is a four year old piece of technology and expecting it to perform exactly the way you bought it four years ago is pretty ridiculous. I understand that it might be frustrating to have a slow device but you only three choices, 1. Don't update your device (which is too late) 2. Buy a new device 3. Sit tight with the device you currently have and deal with it. This happens with all devices. Also if you are frustrated by this, there are other competitors that will gladly take your money which will allow you to roll back to older software. In this end, this is one company's device and since it isn't the only device on the market, if Apple cripples your device there is nothing you can do to force Apple to compensate. There is a Terms of Agreement you signed whenever you purchase an iPhone so this would be thrown out the window since it mentions something about changing the software on your device that would affect it in some way.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Knock, Knock.. I'd much prefer to set down with Tim Cook over dinner to resolve my complaint but CORPORATIONS - who use lawsuits for everything - won't give little old me the time of day.

CEOs of large corporations couldn't possibly meet with even a small fraction of their customers. There's simply not enough time to do that, even if you assume that they spend every second of their time talking to their customers and don't sleep for the rest of their lives.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Maybe something is wrong with your phone? My mom has an 8GB iPhone 4 and she says her phone is a lot more responsive with iOS 7. I also did a clean install on it rather than an upgrade. She thinks its a whole new phone and has put off upgrading.

Agreed. Without more details the OP is unfortunately describing a common scenario. OP should restore as new and try to reproduce the issue before installing apps or restoring from a backup.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Suing because your device is too old to support new software is pretty stupid, there isn't any leeway in this argument. This is a four year old piece of technology and expecting it to perform exactly the way you bought it four years ago is pretty ridiculous. I understand that it might be frustrating to have a slow device but you only three choices, 1. Don't update your device (which is too late) 2. Buy a new device 3. Sit tight with the device you currently have and deal with it. This happens with all devices. Also if you are frustrated by this, there are other competitors that will gladly take your money which will allow you to roll back to older software. In this end, this is one company's device and since it isn't the only device on the market, if Apple cripples your device there is nothing you can do to force Apple to compensate. There is a Terms of Agreement you signed whenever you purchase an iPhone so this would be thrown out the window since it mentions something about changing the software on your device that would affect it in some way.

Do you think this is a good practice? To irreversibly change people's products, causing them problems that force them to buy new products?

What if everything was like that? What if you took your car in for service and they updated the ECU and it had terrible throttle response and ran rough? Is it okay for a corporation to modify existing products in ways that hinders their capabilities?

Some people bought iPhone 4 within the last year, brand new from Apple. Some maybe as recent as 4-5 months. And now their phone isn't what they purchased. And there's nothing they can do but fork out more cash to replace it... which might not be easy if they just bought the 4.

Rather than defending a questionable practice, consider how it affects people. There's no reasonable argument for not allowing people to downgrade the iOS version with certain conditions.

I do hope 7.1 fixes many of the issues for people.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Do you think this is a good practice? To irreversibly change people's products, causing them problems that force them to buy new products?

What if everything was like that? What if you took your car in for service and they updated the ECU and it had terrible throttle response and ran rough? Is it okay for a corporation to modify existing products in ways that hinders their capabilities?

Some people bought iPhone 4 within the last year, brand new from Apple. Some maybe as recent as 4-5 months. And now their phone isn't what they purchased. And there's nothing they can do but fork out more cash to replace it... which might not be easy if they just bought the 4.

Rather than defending a questionable practice, consider how it affects people. There's no reasonable argument for not allowing people to downgrade the iOS version with certain conditions.

I do hope 7.1 fixes many of the issues for people.

The reason for my response is simply because Apple is a private company, they are not a government service or affiliated with the government in terms of products. While I do despise some of their practices, what am I to say to them? It's like the Catholic School firing a gay teacher. They have every right to fire the teacher whether you agree or not. It is a religious private institution and they have every right to enforce their belief in their facility along with the fact it is probably in their terms of agreement to uphold the Catholic faith along with the ideals. Another example would be Homestead Strike. While Carnegie may be "unfriendly" towards union rights, it doesn't mean that the workers at Homestead can take over the factory like it's theirs. It is rightfully Carnegie's factory and he can make the rules on his private company whether the workers like it or not.

Last edited:

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The reason for my response is simply because Apple is a private company, they are not a government service or affiliated with the government in terms of products. While I do despise some of their practices, what am I to say to them? It's like the Catholic School firing a gay teacher. They have every right to fire the teacher whether you agree or not. It is a religious private institution and they have every right to enforce their belief in their facility along with the fact it is probably in their terms of agreement to uphold the Catholic faith along with the ideals. Another example would be Homestead Strike. While Carnegie may be "unfriendly" towards union rights, it doesn't mean that the workers at Homestead can take over the factory like it's theirs. It is rightfully Carnegie's factory and he can make the rules on his private company whether the workers like it or not.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I was simply asking if you think it's okay. As for your Catholic school discriminatory firing, that wouldn't fly in Canada. ;)

Of course Apple has the power to do all kinds of things. I just don't think some of their practices are in favor of the consumer. This is one of them.

I also don't think any small group would have much of a chance in winning against Apple's lawyers, but the negative press can often be enough to consider trying to make people happy.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
I'm not saying you're wrong, I was simply asking if you think it's okay. As for your Catholic school discriminatory firing, that wouldn't fly in Canada. ;)

Of course Apple has the power to do all kinds of things. I just don't think some of their practices are in favor of the consumer. This is one of them.

I also don't think any small group would have much of a chance in winning against Apple's lawyers, but the negative press can often be enough to consider trying to make people happy.

True. As someone looking from a businesses perspective, I believe it's okay though not beneficial to the customer in the short run. Since you can't win all your battle, I believe Apple purposes is standing their ground in this case to set a precedent for the customer, making a statement in other words. It's up to time to decide whether Apple will fail or continue making profit. :D Though that's quite surprising that the teacher wouldn't be fired in Canada, are there not many Catholic schools because of that (There was a court case in the US that set the precedent)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.