Any iPad 1 users still holding out for iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Apr 7, 2012.

1. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Are there any 1st gen iPad owners who are still holding on to their original devices? I know most have upgraded to the 2nd and 3rd gen by now but I guess if it still does everything you want and you're happy why upgrade? Also for a lot of people money right now is tight so there's the question of prioritising your spend. Who is holding out for iPad 4?

2. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

Yep i still have my ipad 1 3g... Also have a 2 which work provides but the 3 was a big waste for me...

Cant wait for ipad 4!

3. brentsg macrumors 68040

I can't imagine standing pat with the original. I made the jump from 1 to 3 and it's easily the biggest Apple upgrade I've had, on par with the satisfaction I got from jumping MBP C2D to i5. Of course totally different reasons for the upgrade, but satisfying none the less.

My wife inherited my iPad and loves it, but now when I use it.. wow.

4. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Also direct 1 to 3 (skipping 2). I couldn't imagine waiting for 4, especially as the technology has already advanced significantly since 1. But also, life's just too short to keeping waiting.

5. irDigital0l Guest

iPad 1 works great...I just watch Netflix movies on it, read the news, play some games.

Well I have an iPhone 4 right now too.

6. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I have to say, my iPad 1 still works very well. I bought it new just over a year ago!

I've had 4 x 3rd gens and am back to my original again. The resolution on the new ones is stunning, but the hues of the screen leave much to be desired. The original iPad has a nice even, non-blotchy white screen. No yellow, green, red or any other tints. Just white.

7. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

8. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I know several people at my workplace who still have the original iPad. And aren't planning to upgrade yet.

Several other people who upgraded to the 3.

The only person I "know" who had the 1, then the 2, then the 3 is my doctor who I saw on the 19th of March :)

They are still pricey enough that, in this economy, most people can't warrant spending the money on each one. Even I didn't get the 2, though I could have afforded it. The improved display was important enough for me to do it, or I would have waited another year.

Phones seem to get more wear and tear than tablets. Occasional drops, OJ, etc. So I seem to be on a cycle of upgrading every other iPhone when subsidy allows.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Unless money was a big factor, I capsule not see many sticking with the iPad 1, waiting on the 4. I thought the 3 was a nice increase in screen quality for reading, that was about it.

10. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Never bought 1 or 2...was holding out for the 3

11. sza macrumors 6502

Buy early, enjoy early! :):)

12. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

So when the ipad was first released you thought 'i'll hold out until they bring out a 3rd gen model'?!

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I really can't see anybody being happy with a 1 now....I've head all three, and the latest incarnation blows the others away...Using a 1 now would not be a pleasant experience at all.

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

My dad and sister have an iPad 1 and they use it only for occasional emails and web browsing. Also, playing game apps and watching animated movies for my nieces. They didn't see enough of a reason to upgrade since the changes wouldn't affect them. My sister still has the AT&T Unlimited Plan. I never bought the first one because I didn't have any use for it. At that time, I also had a Kindle and several paper subscriptions. I then got iPad 2 and turned most of them into electronic in an effort to be green and also reduce clutter. I enjoyed reading on it a lot more than the Kindle, so I got rid of it. However, when reading on the iPad 2, I would always zoom the text bigger since it's better viewed for me. I often thought that a retina screen would be best to fix this. Now, I don't have to zoom the text at all. If the iPad 3 didn't have this screen, I would have passed this next generation.

15. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Your going to be waiting another year! Just buy a 3.

16. tekno macrumors 6502a

I bought the iPad and didn't really find a use for it, so sold it. The iPad still doesn't make me want to buy one, so I'll be waiting for the next iPad.

17. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont get it. All iPads have been pretty much as useful as each other. What are you expecting in the iPad 4 to suddenly change this perception?

18. tekno macrumors 6502a

That's my point! I found the iPad was too limiting and not useful enough. The iPad is the same. I'm hoping the next iPad will be different/more useful. One there's a tablet that I can truly intergrate into my life (rather than it being an odd gadget that does nothing my phone or laptop can't do better) then I'll get one.

19. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Looks like you'll be waiting a while! I think you have missed the concept of the iPad all together?

20. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Specifically what functions do you need?

From my perspective the tablet is fully mature in it's current form. While there's small improvements that can be done, overall Apples done a very good job with the current model.

Remember, despite the hype, there's only so much that can be done with a tablet.

21. erawsd macrumors 6502

Yeah, hardware wise I don't see any other major features coming. There is still a lot iOS can do to make the iPad more productive. My hope is that that will be the focus with iOS6.

22. tekno macrumors 6502a

A file system is the biggest one. Having my home folder mirrored on my iPad.

Having files sync automatically on my iPad and iMac (so I can work on a doc on my Mac and then continue doing so on my iPad on the bus).

Numbers was too awkward to use - so much quicker on my Air.

An SD card slot.

The ability to stop the iPad telling sites its a mobile device and therefore loading mobile versions of websites.

More storage. Even the classic iPod has 100GB more than the iPad.

A better GUI - I still find the tiled app display very counter-intuitive.

I haven't used an iPad for a few years and I haven't used the iPad, but I know it hasn't changed much from the iPad.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree, the lack of a file system is a big drawback. Yet I doubt that Apple will ever allow that. It just doesn't fit in with their "power & control over iOS users" model they've set.

Apple wants to keep that data in the apps hidden from users & not requiring any skill from the user to actually manage their own data.

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It sounds like Apple is making hardware for stupid users. If we can be smart enough to manage a few folders with files in it then it is Apple Romper room!:eek:

25. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you're making the mistake of comparing the iPad to a laptop and expecting to be able to use it in that way. Its a different device. What made the penny drop for me was to look at it as a console. For example the Playstation 3 is a custom built computer designed for gaming. It doesnt have a lot of media slots or other functions. Its a closed platform. All software is designed from the ground up for that device.

Its not easy changing a habbit of a lifetime going from an intuitive PC/Mac style operations to tablet. You expect a file manager, it isnt there, its confusing at first but then you finda work around. In most cases that work around is a better solution with few of the downsides.

This is soemthing that most people have a problem with, that adaption from PC to tablet. I do think this is the future though and I think some PC style functionality will still make it to iPad in time but there are many old and bad PC ways that will never make it to iPad.

You should take up an iPad 2 (therye cheap now anyway) and give yourself six months to adjust. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Eventually you'll start missing the iPad convenience when you ever get back on to a PC.