Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
The iPad is the single most useful gadget I have ever owned. I can't imagine my life without it now. It has replaced so many other things in my life, and I'm not just talking other gadgets. My TVs, game consoles, computer, and even iPhone all get used WAY less since getting my iPad 2 (never had the first one). I no longer have any books, magazines, or newspapers littering my house or weighing down my backpack--they're all on my iPad. My laptop was sold long ago. My gaming PC tower is basically now a glorified media server and is needed to run a couple of very specialized music programs and to run nightly backups of all my important stuff.

Long story short, the iPad has become such an integral part of my daily life, I can't imagine NOT upgrading it every year. It's easy to sell the old models for a fair price, so why not? The thought of keeping my iPad 2 and skipping the retina display and the nicer camera this year just seemed ridiculous. I used my parents' iPad 2 for a few minutes when I was at their house this weekend, and the screen just wasn't cutting it for me anymore. So glad I upgraded.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Yes.

- Ancient CPU silicon process technology, not any faster
- American LTE
- Still no 128GB version.

Don't hold out for the iPad 4 or any other iPad as I can guarantee you will always be disappointed. There are these amazing devices called Android tablets that are made for people like you.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Don't hold out for the iPad 4 or any other iPad as I can guarantee you will always be disappointed. There are these amazing devices called Android tablets that are made for people like you.

I bought the iPad 1 for EyeTV and Remote.

Now I've also spent quite a bit on synth emulators.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
My sister and father both have iPad 1's and probably won't upgrade until the next one I assume. We gave my dad his first one for Xmas and we will probably have to buy him the next one for him to upgrade. Both get modest use (books, websurf, email) so it's really no big deal to them. It's more like a laptop cycle vs. an iphone cycle.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I really can't see anybody being happy with a 1 now....I've head all three, and the latest incarnation blows the others away...Using a 1 now would not be a pleasant experience at all.

It's a matter of opinion. For me, my iPad 1 still kicks major ass for what I need it to do right now. Every owners opinions would be different, but for me, I am still completely happy with my iPad 1.

questioner76

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Wish my wife was more like yours as far as hand-me downs are concerned. If I tried to give her an old model of something because I upgraded, she'd throw it in my face! (not literally, but you get the point).

I can't imagine standing pat with the original. I made the jump from 1 to 3 and it's easily the biggest Apple upgrade I've had, on par with the satisfaction I got from jumping MBP C2D to i5. Of course totally different reasons for the upgrade, but satisfying none the less.

My wife inherited my iPad and loves it, but now when I use it.. wow.

H14

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
I have a ipad 1, I use it everyday, like it a lot and it still works fine, why would I want to buy a new one already or even specifically hold out for a new version? I don't have an urge to replace it at all. It is only 2 years old, it has cost me a decent amount of money and I would like to enjoy that investment for as long as I reasonably can. I'm very interested in the new versions and I have seen them and like them a lot, but that doesn't make me like my current ipad less. I'm happy with what I have. I will upgrade when it is lost or broken, just as you would do with any other kitchen appliance, car, tv set, lawn mower and so on. It would be plain silly replacing a perfectly good and capable device with a newer version just because you want to have it, that's not how I was raised. I just wouldn't be able to justify the cost to myself either.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Will keep the iPad 1 since I'm waiting on the 9th generation iPad. :rolleyes:

iPad 9 will actually be a tablet you can swallow!

redblue_pill.jpg

----------

I have a ipad 1, I use it everyday, like it a lot and it still works fine, why would I want to buy a new one already or even specifically hold out for a new version? I don't have an urge to replace it at all. It is only 2 years old, it has cost me a decent amount of money and I would like to enjoy that investment for as long as I reasonably can. I'm very interested in the new versions and I have seen them and like them a lot, but that doesn't make me like my current ipad less. I'm happy with what I have. I will upgrade when it is lost or broken, just as you would do with any other kitchen appliance, car, tv set, lawn mower and so on. It would be plain silly replacing a perfectly good and capable device with a newer version just because you want to have it, that's not how I was raised. I just wouldn't be able to justify the cost to myself either.

Here's a question for you dude, do you still use a PC for anything at all? Would you be able to survive using your iPad as your sole computer? See, I think using iPad as the go to entertainment device is all very well and if thats all you want then I guess iPad 1 does the job.

For me the tipping point will be the iPad that makes my PC redundant. There's plenty that I still need to use my PC for that I still cant do easily or effectively with the iPad, either down to hardware or software limitations. Until there is an iPad and an iOS that allows makes my PC irrelevant i think I am happy to just stick.

Steve Jobs was an arrogant genius. Tim Cook is more pragmatic. If he allows more open access then I think iPad will win over a bigger audience. There are some ugly obstacles iPad and iOS still need to overcome to win over the masses especially business. I still think that will involve a new iPad purchase at some point to join that party.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have an iPad 1. I don't use it much since I've always got my iPhone with me, but the iPad serves its purposes when I need it (maybe a couple times a week to read ebooks in bed, or netflix once in a while). I will probably upgrade to the 4 if Apple stops supporting the iPad 1 with new iOS releases. I'm a very light iPad user so having an older gen isn't that big of a deal to me right now.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I find Apple to be one of the worst companies to buy first generation products from because they do such a big update in the 2nd generation products and get better from there.

I bought the first iPod Touch when it came out and boy did that sucker get useless fast or at least "feel" useless fast and of course you have a pretty high premium with the price on a 1st gen product from Apple.

This is just my opinion of course, at the same time though when you buy the 1st gen products you get the chance to wow your family and friends with it rather than purchasing it when "everyone else" has one or seen one.

Though to be completely honest, for my primary uses in a tablet I think the iPad 1 would actually fit my uses just fine..I mean by core function with a tablet is to check email, facebook and browse the web..doesn't exactly take a octo-core processor with 16GBs of RAM to do that. ^_^

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
It's a matter of opinion. For me, my iPad 1 still kicks major ass for what I need it to do right now. Every owners opinions would be different, but for me, I am still completely happy with my iPad 1.

100% agree. I actually upgraded to the 3 but returned it after two weeks because it didn't make a big enough improvement to what I do (fairly lightweight tasks). I'm back on my iPad 1 for another year.

It's also great not having to worry about dropping a $700+ device. If I break my old iPad 1 (now depreciated down to ~$200) then big deal.

Hamburger

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
15 months ago I bought the 11" MBA to replace my 13" Macbook, late 2008, the first unibody and not called Pro yet. As much as I love the MBA, I still miss the MB. It was my first Mac and I am somewhat sentimental about it.
I have the funny feeling that it would be exactly the same if I upgraded my iPad1, bought on the first day it was available in Germany. And the iPad still fulfils my needs very well, especially since iOS 5.1.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I bought the iPad 1 for EyeTV and Remote.

Now I've also spent quite a bit on synth emulators.

You do realise iPad 3 was pretty much developed before iPad was even released? These devices take years of R&D to develop. Steve Jobs was talking about the post-PC iPad concept as far back as 1997 that's 13 yrs before it was even released.

Yet people expect monumental upgrades on a year by year basis. I expect that from Sony & Microsoft with their consoles coming out every 5-7yr but Apple delivers something new EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Do you not think perhaps you expectations are somewhat exaggerated? Check out my BOM thread showing how prices of components have actually dropped in 12 months.

If we're gonna have high expectations lets also hold Google, Samsung and the rest to the same standards. Is the grass really greener?

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Im still on iPad1 and holding out for iPad4. Retina display just isnt enough. I expected Siri, LTE (europe) and maybe even a faster chip. Im guessing we will see all that in the 4th gen product.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
I find Apple to be one of the worst companies to buy first generation products from because they do such a big update in the 2nd generation products and get better from there.

How many companies can actually claim to have developed any first generation product?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I really can't see anybody being happy with a 1 now....I've head all three, and the latest incarnation blows the others away...Using a 1 now would not be a pleasant experience at all.

I am very happy with my 1. I will get a 3 as soon as I can afford one (hopefully when my next iOS games are released) as I love the Retina screen and want one for testing (I make sure I have the oldest generation of each screen size). It perhaps helps that it is still running iOS 4, I've heard it isn't so great running iOS 5.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You do realise iPad 3 was pretty much developed before iPad was even released? These devices take years of R&D to develop. Steve Jobs was talking about the post-PC iPad concept as far back as 1997 that's 13 yrs before it was even released.

Yet people expect monumental upgrades on a year by year basis. I expect that from Sony & Microsoft with their consoles coming out every 5-7yr but Apple delivers something new EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Do you not think perhaps you expectations are somewhat exaggerated? Check out my BOM thread showing how prices of components have actually dropped in 12 months.

If we're gonna have high expectations lets also hold Google, Samsung and the rest to the same standards. Is the grass really greener?

- I expect Apple to use current process technology. AMD and NVIDIA already use 28nm, I am not asking for 22 (Intel). And 32 is already old for bulk. The A5X is 45. Prehistoric.

- It has been 2 years since the iPad launched with 64GB. That's enough time for the flagship to now be 128GB.

- I understand there might not exist global LTE chips, but I expect Apple to build different versions if it's going to market LTE outside of America.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
- I expect Apple to use current process technology. AMD and NVIDIA already use 28nm, I am not asking for 22 (Intel). And 32 is already old for bulk. The A5X is 45. Prehistoric.

- It has been 2 years since the iPad launched with 64GB. That's enough time for the flagship to now be 128GB.

- I understand there might not exist global LTE chips, but I expect Apple to build different versions if it's going to market LTE outside of America.

New process technologies are weighed up against risk and cost. Sticking to the existing tech means less risk and more cost. It cost Apple 62% more to include the current A5X over the A5 processor. They must have decided to be able to produce and sell 3 million units on the launch weekend, thats was the tech to go for.

Ive also followed ATI & Nvidia for long enought to see how catastrophic decisions to go for over eager unready process technologies were.

LTE is a stop gap technology. True 4G tech is at least 100Mbps. The rest of the world is trialing this tech but its at least another 3-4 yrs before major world wide roll out. Apple have until iPad 6 or 7 to have a world wide chip ready.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
My first gen iPad still works as well as it did when it was first released. I use it EVERY DAY for internet, email, EyeTV, Calendar, etc. It goes with me on airplanes, in the RV, and when I leave home for work.

I'll replace it when it dies or gets stolen.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, I'm holding out for the iPad 4.

In the meantime, I have iPad 1, 2, & 3. ;)

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Are there any 1st gen iPad owners who are still holding on to their original devices? I know most have upgraded to the 2nd and 3rd gen by now but I guess if it still does everything you want and you're happy why upgrade? Also for a lot of people money right now is tight so there's the question of prioritising your spend. Who is holding out for iPad 4?

The thing is though, with most devices, there will be something missing from it that you would have liked included on it. It's a case of choosing the one that ticks most of the boxes for your requirements/usage. I had the iPad 1, but I skipped on the second one because I had only had my iPad 1 for around 5 months when the iPad 2 came out, plus there was no new screen on the iPad 2. So I promised myself that when Apple released a Retina screened iPad, I would then get that one, which is exactly what I did. To be honest, for me, the iPad 3 has everything that I wanted. The Retina screen, the slimmer body (compared to the iPad 1), and the speed/performance improvement again compared to the iPad 1.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
The thing is though, with most devices, there will be something missing from it that you would have liked included on it. It's a case of choosing the one that ticks most of the boxes for your requirements/usage. I had the iPad 1, but I skipped on the second one because I had only had my iPad 1 for around 5 months when the iPad 2 came out, plus there was no new screen on the iPad 2. So I promised myself that when Apple released a Retina screened iPad, I would then get that one, which is exactly what I did. To be honest, for me, the iPad 3 has everything that I wanted. The Retina screen, the slimmer body (compared to the iPad 1), and the speed/performance improvement again compared to the iPad 1.

Like you, most iPad 1 owners didnt buy their devices on launch so they will have had it for less than two years even today. Maybe in a few months time some of them will consider upgrading by then they'll need to decide whether its worth buying the current iPad 3 or waiting what might only be a few more months for the iPad 4. I usually get a good 3yrs on average out of my gadgets before i decide to upgrade.

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I thought about this myself but I had safari crash one to many times and it was too slow compared to the other models. I decided to upgrade only to the ipad 2 because I wanted something thinner and lighter while still being speedy and the new ipad didn't offer me that. I can still survive without a retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.