Any iPhone lovers switched to Android?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i0Nic, Jul 6, 2011.

1. i0Nic, Jul 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011

i0Nic macrumors 65816

Hey guys,

I've had an iPhone since day 1 of the first generation, same with the iPad. Although I love iOS I'd like to try Android for a while as a change.

I'm about to get a Nexus S, have any other iPhone lovers here switched to Android? For what reason? How are you finding it?

I'm also keen to get some impressions on the actual Nexus S device as well as Android in general.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Happy with my iOS devices and I don't mind paying a couple of bucks for apps.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

That's like switching from an Audi to a Kia.

Sorry...my time is too precious to be downgrading my tech.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I was going to get an Sony Xperia x10 but the one I wanted was locked to a different carrier and apparently there's no hack method to unlock them. I searched for a solid two hours and could only find people wanting $40 for an unlock code.

I've also lately been eyeing the Samsung Galaxy phones.

iPhone will always be my primary but I've been thinking of picking up a used Android handset as a secondary to play around with. :)

5. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

i bought and iphone 4 when they came out last summer, then i returned it shortly after because i was experiencing poor signal issues and returned it to at&t. after that i went to verizon because they have the best service in my area and bought a droid x. all in all it was not a bad phones by any means, but when it came down to it i missed using and iphone and iOS, not to mention i hated carrying around an ipod touch AND a big ass droid x. so bought an iphone 4 in feb when verizon started carrying them and havent looked back since. its been a while since i have been this content with my phone

6. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes that's my take as well, I'll still keep my iPhone and will probably look at the iPhone 5 too but I'd like an Android device to play with and, maybe, I might prefer it.

7. aldoF macrumors regular

Not to hijack your thread but here's my dilemma...I carry two phones, my personal iPhone4 and for work I carry a verizon blackberry....I now have the opportunity to upgrade my work phone and as much as I love my iPhone I don't see the point on carrying two of them, so I've been thinking about getting an android just for kicks, but seems like there are so many brand/model combinations that I have no idea what to get, any suggestions from the Verizon lineup? (I don't care huge screens)

8. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I love my Nexus S but it's easily been trounced by the likes of the SgS II and the iPhone 4 beats it in a few areas (camera quality, app selection, build materials).

For me, the advantage of the NS is completely stock Android with swift updates being the biggest reason. Secondly the unlockable/re-lockable bootloader is fantastic for tinkerers (I'd say I fall into that category myself). Lastly, as the devices are unlocked on GSM, you're pretty much open to use whichever network you like and tethering/portable hotspot is fantastic.

If I were you, I'd pass on the Nexus today and if you can, consider switching when Ice Cream Sandwich is released in fall as there may be a new Nexus flagship released with the update.

By then, the next iPhone would be here and you'll have the choice of the best of both iOS or Android smartphones.

I've switched from iOS since 2009 and have enjoyed Android as an OS since doing so (HTC Hero > Nexus One > Nexus S) but I still get my iOS fix from my iPod touch.

9. xMBPx macrumors regular

Until the iPod is obsolete to other mp3 players, I will stick to my iPhone if for no other reason than simply because I won't need to carry around an iPod.

10. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I could never switch over to use Android as a primary. I simply love the form factor and the OS of the iPhone way too much. :D

However, I could definitely enjoy having a secondary Android handset to tinker with!

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I went Android for over a year and came back in the last 6 months to the iPhone 4.

Advantages over Android:
    1. Bluetooth keyboard support
    2. Netflix/Hulu+ streaming apps
    3. Gaming emulators w/ bluetooth wiimote support
    4. Better battery life
    5. Much easier for me to jailbreak than root
    6. Navigon GPS app that I prefer over Gmaps Navigation
    7. Much better screen resolution

Of course some Android phones might have 1 or 2 things of the above list, but platform wise not a single latest tech android phone has all of these yet...

12. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I had an iPhone 3GS. I thought I was missing out, I then got a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S). Later I got a Nexus One, and after that I had an HTC Inspire 4G.

It was hell.

I'm typing this on my iPhone 4 and I don't want you to make the mistake(s) I did. The grass SEEMS greener, but it's not.

13. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

The Xperia Play looks neat but sorta gimmick-y. I just wanna play Resident Evil on a phone. :D

14. Trash Can macrumors member

I had the iPhone 3G. I absolutely loved the phone but couldn't stand AT&T's lousy service. I went back to VZW when the Droid X was released last summer. While I'm happy that my phone actually functions as a phone again, I'm not a real big fan of Android. It's too clunky for my tastes. Widgets are cool and useful, but that's the only feature I prefer over iOS. I'm planning to switch back to the next iPhone whenever it's released.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:confused:Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I thought those phones had a mp3 player? Am I imagining things?

16. aleni macrumors 68020

dude, i switched back from SGS2. let alone a nexus.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I've always wanted to try out Android as a test device or just a second device in general but it's too expensive just to buy another device "to play with". I mean, sure I can just pay $599 for a second phone, but I'd honestly rather spend that elsewhere.

18. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

They do, but it sucks. Android fans agree too. I can't even remember how many discussions I saw on multiple Android forums, about how much the music app needed a revamp. And I owned 3 Android phones so I can attest to that too.

19. Fleon85 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I was thinking to buy the samsung charge but after two minutes at the store I changed my mind noting like an iPhone
    If you don't have an iPhone you don't have an iPhone lol

20. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Currently using SGS2, I like it a lot right now as it is fresh for me. Apps aren't anywhere near that iPhone apps are and not all phones being able to use them all eg my modded netflix app from nexus s, and my battery life is sorely missed. i do love the bigger screen though.

I will be back to an iPhone though.

21. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

A buddy of mine has the HTC Desire HD and while it's a nice phone, I think that it would eat battery really quickly. Browsing the internet on it is some nice though, although the phone is practically a tablet. :rolleyes:

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have a question, but what's the issue with Netflix for android??? :confused:
    Perhaps someone could explain this to me, but isn't there an app in the marketplace? And if not, why?!

23. ap3604 macrumors 68000

There is an app on the marketplace... but it only works for like 6-7 android phones per Netflix's DRM requirements.

There is a modified version of the Netflix app on Xda that doesn't check which device your using it on, but I believe there still are a large number of non-gingerbread handsets that still aren't even able to use the modified version.

One of the main things why I didn't even consider the Infuse 4g since no one has cracked the Netflix conundrum yet.

24. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

You have no idea how much fun you're missing out on. But then again change is too scary for some.

I like them both, using two gives me choices and a reliable backup if either goes down.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Could you explain the part about "Netflix DRM requirements" ... does it really matter which phone it is running on?

I'm just a bit curious (and shocked).
    The Infuse is a nice phone. I could probably get away with viewing netflix in browser depending on how that goes.