Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
TIGER RULES

- So much faster. (I was a bit worried at the start but once a restarted it belted along and a serious pace)

- WiFi is remarkable. 2 - 3 times better in my case. From where i'm typing now i was at the risk of drop out. Now I have all bars. Incredible!!!

-RSS Screensaver is Cool

-Widgets Rock!!! I'm watching my dads plane from Tokyo. They must have a tail wind. Damn, I'm gonna have to pick him up earlier. I think I may have to subscribe to that SMS thingy as well. All those widgets aren't new ideas, just presented in a usable fashion. My brother nearly died when he saw all the new stuff, I think he's a tad jealous as he runs a Dell Powerbrick 8600

BRILLIANT!!!!

Worth every cent in my opinion

Still finding new things

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I have not read much of this thread so excuse me if this has already been mentioned:
While in Dashboard if you start to drag and drop a widget onto the desktop (from the widget bar).....hold your mouse down on the widget and hit F12.....this will place the widget onto the desktop and you can use it without being in the Dashboard mode. I've only figured out how to get one widget on there though.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The Quartz Composer is very cool to play with - working on my own screensaver at the moment.

I love the mail page/mail link option in Safari.

The fact that files created appear immediately in the Finder (and if you do a Get Info on a file that's downloading, the size actually updates! Finally!)

(On the other hand:

Spotlight's left be a little underwhelmed, it's not significantly faster than the 10.3's Find on my iMac, though find by content is nice.

Dashboard I'll probably never use, and in any case many of the provided widgets are US-only.

The main feature of QT7 is H.264, but my poor little iMac couldn't handle any of the samples I downloaded from Apple's showcase, it just turned into a (slow) slideshow.

Lots of bugs - my menubar keeps getting corrupted, and plugging in my Kensington USB mouse freezes the USB bus every time.)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Jovian9 said:
I have not read much of this thread so excuse me if this has already been mentioned:
While in Dashboard if you start to drag and drop a widget onto the desktop (from the widget bar).....hold your mouse down on the widget and hit F12.....this will place the widget onto the desktop and you can use it without being in the Dashboard mode. I've only figured out how to get one widget on there though.

I didn't know that either, nice find! (although same here, I can only get one widget out of Dashboard at a time. Don't know if that's a bug or a feature.)

ScotRobson

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2004
Torquay UK
Onizuka said:
Ummm.. How about NO. You're completely off base and wrong here. People in Australia, Germany, France, Norway, EVERYWHERE are using widgets. How stupid would that be to make them U.S. only?!

What he means is things like YELL and FEDEX etc do NOT search or track in the UK. - That is only two examples I know of. He didnt mean the don't work full stop!

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
Hidden Gems (and a few annoyances):
- Speed (especially at start-up, which was ridiculously slow the first two times, but is very "boom" now as Steve would say)
- Safari's RSS support is much better than I imagined it - it's great to be able to flip back and forth between normal and RSS pages, and how it updates to tell you new articles right in the bookmarks bar, etc.
- Spotlight has already made me re-consider about 10 apps that used to be in my dock because it can find them so quickly
- I REALLY wish there was an option in iPhoto to change photos' filenames to the title I've assigned to them. In Spotlight all I see is "Img5436" and it means nothing to me. At least I can see their keywords tho...
- When Spotlight finds text in a Word document, I wish it would open the Word document with that text highlighted everywhere
- The Adium people REALLY need to make a Spotlight plugin to file their HTML stuff under "chats" and launch Adium Log Viewer. Having a gazillion HTML chat files pop up under "Documents" clutters me up
- The "s" in my Thesaurus under Dashboard always gets cut off, even when I resize it. Happen to anyone else?
- Translation is not nearly "per-word" and I have to wait about 10 seconds after finishing for results. Not slow, but not like Steve's demo
- The Grapher app is GREAT! Very easy to use, I was afraid it would be super complicated, but it's done very Apple-ish.
[I'm going to ambush this for a minute by asking what font I should turn back on to resolve this conflict:
See photo on Homepage here
I got a little overzealous with cleaning out never-used fonts in Font Book to avoid clutter, lol]
- DVD Player looks much better (well, the DVDs it plays do I mean) and the video zoom thing is superb
- iCal seems more likable, especially with Spotlight integration and it now searching People, Location, etc.
Overall: So far, so good. I just wish Quicktime 7 Pro had some sort of Upgrade price... I know it's worth it, but it's hard to pay so soon after getting Tiger...

grahamtriggs

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003
In the keyboard & mouse preferences, there is an option to make the function keys to control software features, with the Fn key used to change hardware features (volume, etc.)

No more need for fnSwitch!!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Jovian9 said:

I discovered this last night also.

however, I wasn't using F-12, as I set up my Middle mouse button to Toggle between the dashboard and finder. I accidently clicked the middle button, while I was dragging a Widget onto the dash. this can also be done by simply holding your right mouse button on the widget you want to open, and clicking the middle button (or whatever set in expose), and or F-12.

It took me a while to figure out what happened, but when I did I noticed it would move the item from the Dashboard into a normal Finder window when I clicked my Middle mouse button (set up in Expose) while dragging a widget onto the desktop.

Bug or not, the Widget is always on top of whatever you are working on, and I think it will be nice for the translator, and Itunes.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
mkrishnan said:
- How do you actually type on a stickie? Clicking it seems to have no effect. Typing on it seems to have no effect.
It's a bit crappy actually. You have to click in the top-left corner for it to do anything, and even then it's kinda erratic.

Also, maybe I'm losing my marbles but I'm sure the Yell.com widget has broke. Last time I used it, I swear it found something relevant. It still recognises me as being "Canterbury, KENT", but now it's only returning resuts from California, zip code 9-something.

TBH, I've been using it just as Panther so far, so not come across any goodies. Apart from the superfast Finder. Yeeeah!

edit Wait. Yeah, actually.

Can someone confirm that when you have the Finder sidebar to just show icons, it doesn't resize so not to scroll? Example, if the sidebar has many items, and is showing filenames - then you collapse it, showing icons, it remembers that position when drives are ejected thus not showing the full icon when they increase in size.

Also, The battery menu bar item now has settings directly accessible. Which is handy.

JoshH

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
The finder has some new idisk selections from the Go menu.

I don't know if its been covered, but the System Profiler has lots more stuff.

And I actually like the look of Mail 2.0 (inconsistent GUI and all) :)

Josh

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
Finder always had that iDisk stuff in the Go menu.
I've noticed the iTunes Dashboard is also consistently unreliable - it takes a LONG time to communicate when you press pause. Changing the volume is nice and fast though.
And is there any way to search for and delete duplicate emails in Mail? For some reason it seems to have imported my Gmail inbox twice...

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
abc123 said:
i'm not so convinced. macstumbler still says my signal is crappy, i think that the tiger menu bar is telling fibs.
Regardless of the signal strength meter, a number of users are reporting reception in places they couldn't access with Panther. YMMV.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
JRM PowerPod said:
I thought i was going crazy. I was trying to work out how Tiger improved my Wireless, and obviously it has, somehow :confused: :) :) :)

They've simply changed what the meter registers on the graphic. The graph is more accurate, or shows more strength now. The range isn't really improved, for example, the farthest you previously were able to go before you lost Internet, is probably the same.

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
PDF

Safari 2.0 opens PDFs without launching Preview. It's pretty slick!

Maybe this was an option in Panther and I was just oblivious to it, but Panther always downloaded the file to the desktop and launched Preview. Anyhow, this is a minor feature (but a pleasant surprise).

Additionally, System Profiler lists so many more details now. For instance, all of this time I thought I could only burn -R and -RW CDs and DVDs. According to the profiler, I can burn + and - DVD R and RW. It lists CD burning as -R and -RW, however.

All of this time I thought SuperDrives only burned the "minus" variety. Anyone tried burning the "plus" variety? Did it work ok?

meathane

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2005
some framed websites do hideous things to the scroll bars in safari. aslo, using the arrows on ur keyboard to scroll on a webpage make my mouse cursor dissapear.

i think that f12 dashboard desktop thing is a bug cos when u press f12 again in stays in the dashboard onlybit. quite nice tho. im running the most expensive eMac they do, with 768MB ram and im gutted i dont get the ripple effect on widgets.

automater crashes BIG TIME, it just hangs when i even mention iPhoto. i have about 6000 photos, but on the best emac they do, with 768 of ram, ud think i would be able to doing something with iPhoto.

irritating on a iBook they u cant use the f3 f4 and f5 keys for volume, and just f12 for dashboard. you have to press fn with one or the other, depending on ur settings.

im loving command-space for spotlight.

the RSS screensaver is very, very, VERY cool

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
TIGERmac said:
Safari 2.0 opens PDFs without launching Preview. It's pretty slick!

Maybe this was an option in Panther and I was just oblivious to it, but Panther always downloaded the file to the desktop and launched Preview. Anyhow, this is a minor feature (but a pleasant surprise).

Additionally, System Profiler lists so many more details now. For instance, all of this time I thought I could only burn -R and -RW CDs and DVDs. According to the profiler, I can burn + and - DVD R and RW. It lists CD burning as -R and -RW, however.

All of this time I thought SuperDrives only burned the "minus" variety. Anyone tried burning the "plus" variety? Did it work ok?
No, you couldn't view PDF in-line in Safari on Panther without a 3rd party plugin.

There's no such thing as CD+R/RW; there's only one CD format.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
Thanks to core image..... iPhoto is like butta! :eek: :)

I've never seen iPhoto shread the my library like it does now. It has the perfomance difference of using it on high proc. in Panther opposed to me using it reduced in Tiger. There is NO lag.

This made my day. ;)

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
ScotRobson said:
What he means is things like YELL and FEDEX etc do NOT search or track in the UK. - That is only two examples I know of. He didnt mean the don't work full stop!

WHAT!!!

why would they not have the service here?
does anyone know if it will ever work?
do the flight trackers work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.