Any rMBP owners here with a flawless LG screen?

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Now that I am just waiting for my order to be shipped, it looks like everyone is just crossing their fingers hoping that they would receive a Samsung screen.

Any owners out there that are happy with their LG screens?

insimbi

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Good here - I had a Samsung before and it had white pressure marks on it. This LG looks perfect.

Hidendra

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
My LG is fine. Yes you can see retention in very small cases but the first time I saw it was in that very specific test using dark gray bg + checkerboard (which I couldn't replicate using any other background + checkerboard -- completely fine) so to me it does not matter if it does not affect real world usage.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Near perfect here. Minor IR with the checkerboard pattern... but it disappears within seconds of refreshing the screen. Everything else is simply amazing. I was particularly thrilled when I realized this monitor comes with an A-TW polarizer.

ducatiti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Thank you for your inputs guys. To those who are seeing image retention via the checkerboard tests, did the samsung screen owners also experience this?

Textureboy

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
Thank you for your inputs guys. To those who are seeing image retention via the checkerboard tests, did the samsung screen owners also experience this?
I was happy with my screen checked for flaws before I checked which brand is which. I ended up getting Samsung and I'm very happy with it. Never owned LG so I cannot say that Samsung is any better.

When you do the checkerboard test just make sure you can differentiate the difference between IR with your eyes and actual IR.

Whichever one you get , hope you enjoy your purchase with no flaws!! :) Love mine.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The LG equipped models we got at work were all affected & subsequently returned. Yet that's no indication they're all defective.

Based on nothing more than all the first hand experience I've had with Samsung, it seems their quality is better & their quality control checks are more comprehensive.

Quality control was once one of Apple great strengths.

I wish that was still the case.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Samsung switched for LG and no issues here ;)

Update 11/18/12
I experienced Image Retention (IR) after 3 months and had to take it into the Genius Bar. After failing the Apple Genius test twice it was replaced with a Samsung display (not that I had any say in the matter). As a note I would leave a few windows open in the background, switching from iTunes to Safari and after literally 5 minutes would experience retention that would last for 15 more minutes or more before dissipating.

Last edited:

theuserjohnny

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
I went through 4 LG screens and all of them had the issue. I just got a new one today AND THANK GOD IT WAS SAMSUNG! No issues whatsoever!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I don't have problems with my LG panel and I don't run silly tests (ie: checkerboard tests) just so I can be unhappy about my computer.

tibi08

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Brighton, UK
Mine is fine, but it's so subjective.... some of the whingers on this forum would probably be able to find some ridiculous criticism of my screen if they tried hard enough.