Any rMBP owners here with a flawless LG screen?

MrManwelo

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2010
How do you check what screen you have?
I too would like to know this. Do you need to look up what drivers are installed or something?

Edit: Found it:

So if you can run the following command in terminal it will tell you who the manufacturer is:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Following is an interpretation of the string that is returned telling you who the manufacturer is.
LPXXXX = LG
LSNXXXX = Samsung

Last edited:

Dyno-Mike

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2012
United Kingdom
LG screen here and very minor retention during the grey screen checkerboard test after 20 mins

I cannot notice it on normal day by day use, so it does not bother me.

Apart from that its perfect! ;)

Entopia7

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
LG here. Very Minor image retention (not in everyday use), but otherwise flawless. Absolutely beautiful backlight kept me from worrying about the little bit of IR.

Last edited:

Blue604

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Just got my 4th retina, First 3 were all Samsung, and turns out this 4th one is LG!

1st samsung has 1 dead pixel
2nd samsung has really bad backlight bleed in all 4 corners
3rd samsung is absolutely perfect but the bottom case creaks like crazy.

4th LG appears to be good, slight backlight bleed in upper right corner. Just got it today. When I put this vs the 3rd one side by side, LG appears a bit warmer in colour. but this doesn't bother me.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Flawless LG here :). Received it yesterday, what an eye-soothing display, it's really stunning. I'm in awe of the crispness, rich colors, deep blacks and lush whites

White is perfectly white (to my eyes), uniformly. Blacks are deep as heck, I'm so amazed, still adjusting... In the dark, no backlight bleeding either on a fullscreen black background. Backlight is obviously every so slightly more pronounced around the edges, but it's a consistent and smooth fade only perceivable when paying close attention. Compared to a Thunderbolt Display I once had, the rMBP's backlight is infinitely more level (and the TBD was not defective, I had it exchanged for what I thought was an abnormal backlight bleed).

P.S.: Not specific to the brand, but I just realized I haven't noticed a single reflection since yesterday evening when I booted it up for the first time. Reflections were one of the drawbacks on a past 15" MBP (glossy). This just adds to the excitement of owning such a gem of a machine :D. So, so happy with the purchase, worth every Euro cent, and then some.

Last edited:

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
had LG before swapped for LG. did the 15 min image retention and still there but you have to squint to see any of the checkerboard. very happy now

StefanYFC

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I've been looking and waiting for some kind of issue with mine and it's perfect. The rMBP itself was creaky and I didn't want to return it for that reason and end up with a bad screen so I took it over to a shop here and they tightened my screws.

Now it's flawless :D

(I've always thought LG made fantastic screens, they are one of the biggest display makers in the world after all)

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
Just got my 4th retina, First 3 were all Samsung, and turns out this 4th one is LG!

1st samsung has 1 dead pixel
2nd samsung has really bad backlight bleed in all 4 corners
3rd samsung is absolutely perfect but the bottom case creaks like crazy.

4th LG appears to be good, slight backlight bleed in upper right corner. Just got it today. When I put this vs the 3rd one side by side, LG appears a bit warmer in colour. but this doesn't bother me.
how would u evne notice 1 dead pixel on a RETINA screen

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I had to return 3 , each with Samsung screens, due to issues. Now I'm using an LG, no issues.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I had to return 3 , each with Samsung screens, due to issues. Now I'm using an LG, no issues.
What were the issues? Overall would you say the samsung was brighter? In terms of contrast and colour reproduction, which looked better. Of course I don't know what the issues were so these questions may not be answerable.

I'm using an LG and I'm not impressed with the brightness at all and it seems quite warm. It also have Image retention in some instances.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2007
flawless as in having no regrets/problems and 100% happy customer..

Yes. It's flawless.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
flawless as in having no regrets/problems and 100% happy customer..

Yes. It's flawless.
I'm assuming you have a Samsung?

I really want to exchange, but I don't want to run the risk of cycling through 4 exchanges where they are all LG... If I get a refund Apple will charge me £70 for the student gift card which isn't great, even though I sold it for less than £50.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
What were the issues? Overall would you say the samsung was brighter? In terms of contrast and colour reproduction, which looked better. Of course I don't know what the issues were so these questions may not be answerable.

I'm using an LG and I'm not impressed with the brightness at all and it seems quite warm. It also have Image retention in some instances.
I would relax. It's fine most likely. I agree that these are very expensive, and therefore it causes anxiety when they have the mixed screen manufacturers.
But as you can see from my post, it's not clear what's up, and you can't go by posts here.

Also, I find it hard to believe about LG brightness. My LG is as bright as my Cinema Display, which literally is as bright as you can get (around 380 nits).

LG screens on the other Airs and Pros and brighter than Samsung screens.

The posts here are totally unreliable.

Frankly, I think it's wacky how people are stressing about this. I don't. I have had, and have presently, many, many Apple laptops, and accessories. I enjoy them. I don't stress out about if I got the very best one. I've never even had an issue. My only concern is resell value really, as these things
sell like freakin HOT CAKES BABY :D

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
I would relax. It's fine most likely. I agree that these are very expensive, and therefore it causes anxiety when they have the mixed screen manufacturers.
But as you can see from my post, it's not clear what's up, and you can't go by posts here.

Also, I find it hard to believe about LG brightness. My LG is as bright as my Cinema Display, which literally is as bright as you can get (around 380 nits).

LG screens on the other Airs and Pros and brighter than Samsung screens.

The posts here are totally unreliable.
I know; reading post on here as well as on Apple forum (over 105 pages) kinda makes your go crazy in thinking that something better is out there, when some say you must exchange until you get samsung and other saying there is no difference.

I just can't get over the fact that my Brother's 2011 15" has a much brighter screen and a much cooler tint (slightly due to my preference).

Here's a (not so good) image of my Retina (right) and the 2011 MBP. If I do decide to seek another replacement, I will email the Apple rep. this image so that she can pass it along for "analysis"...

Again, the picture isn't great so the yellowness is slightly exaggerated, but you get the idea.

I guess it doesn't help when you remember quotes by Steve Jobs, like " Never except good, only except insanely great"... I don't think I have an insanely great flagship product at the moment.

Attachments

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I know; reading post on here as well as on Apple forum (over 105 pages) kinda makes your go crazy in thinking that something better is out there, when some say you must exchange until you get samsung and other saying there is no difference.

I just can't get over the fact that my Brother's 2011 15" has a much brighter screen and a much cooler tint (slightly due to my preference).

Here's a (not so good) image of my Retina (right) and the 2011 MBP. If I do decide to seek another replacement, I will email the Apple rep. this image so that she can pass it along for "analysis"...

Again, the picture isn't great so the yellowness is slightly exaggerated, but you get the idea.

I guess it doesn't help when you remember quotes by Steve Jobs, like " Never except good, only except insanely great"... I don't think I have an insanely great flagship product at the moment.
The problem there is direct comparison. That INVARIABLY causes problems. In other words, if you 'seek' an issue, you will find one.

JUst forget about it, and worry about more imprtant things, such as resale value. If you can sell it for around what you payed for it, this fact should help TREMENDOUSLY in regards to psychological aspects, and help you relax.

Thank GOD for this.....really. (I'll stop now with the capitals..they are fun :D )

And as far a the yellow thing. It's curious. Mine was horribly yellow when I first turned it on. It was shocking actually. But now it's great. I'm not sure how it was resolved. I calibrated it of course, and I imagine that's what did it, but I can't be sure as i'm certainly not going back there.... :D

Last edited:

iLikeTurtles!

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012

this same bs was comparing the 3gs and iphone 4, same deal

\\

retinas wil always look warmer.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2008
England
The problem there is direct comparison. That INVARIABLY causes problems. In other words, if you 'seek' an issue, you will find one.

JUst forget about it, and worry about more imprtant things, such as resale value. If you can sell it for around what you payed for it, this fact should help TREMENDOUSLY in regards to psychological aspects, and help you relax.

Thank GOD for this.....really. (I'll stop now with the capitals..they are fun :D )

And as far a the yellow thing. It's curious. Mine was horribly yellow when I first turned it on. It was shocking actually. But now it's great. I'm not sure how it was resolved. I calibrated it of course, and I imagine that's what did it, but I can't be sure as i'm certainly not going back there.... :D
The resale value is not at all important to me right now, even though I completely understand where you are coming from...

I'm not sure I can 100% enjoy this with the weird colour/brightness issue. (I too have calibrated using the built in option - I see no reason why I should spend £££ on a calibrator on such a high-end computer)

I'm not really sure why " Retinas will always look warmer"... But again, it seems from many, many, many posts that Samsung is infact a fair amount brighter.

I genuinely do want to start using this as a proper computer, not fault finding, but it's the screen, not a random key. It's what I will be looking at all day and it's what the computer is marketed on.

... I'll sleep on it :p

neilpryde23

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2011
I received an LG screen today. Unfortunately, it had every possible defect you have nightmares about when waiting for it to arrive. Had 4 dead pixels, 2 in each bottom corner, light bleeding around the edges (which I'm not usually sensitive to), a red tint on the top and yellow tint on the bottom which I'm also usually not bothered by, and it had definite IR after leaving the checkered image up for little longer than 10 minutes and this was almost immediately out of the box and I imagine it will only get worse. Hopefully my replacement won't have any of these issues because there is no way this screen should have passed quality control and made it out of the factory :mad:

Macral

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2012
Mine was perfect for 14 days. Then it started appearing after I used Safari. Although it disappeared after I few minutes, it showed up again whenever I opened white windows such as finder, itunes, messages. I took it to Apple Store, and talked to a genius. He then checked it and give me a new rMBP for replacement.