Any way to TURN OFF Siri's STUPID comments?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lip5016, Oct 17, 2014.

1. lip5016, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2015

lip5016 macrumors regular

Is there any way to TURN OFF Siri's STUPID comments?

I am using an iPhone 5s (iOS 8.0.2) .. I use Siri pretty much all day (setting timers mostly -- helps keep me on task).. I am SO SICK of listening to all of Siri's STUPID ******** COMMENTS every time I use this function..

When setting a timer:

"oh the suspense is killing me"
    "some stupid ******** ***** about a good iphone doesn't boil over"
    "roger that"

When my GF asked Siri where the closest tanning salon was:

"It's not good to be overdone"

ARE YOU ******** KIDDING ME? I get that Apple is trying to be "edgy" and "cool" and "hip" but commenting on someone's life choices is not Apple's place..

The rest of the things I mentioned are just plain annoying.

I would like to use Siri, have it do what I ask, not throw in some stupid comments after everything I do.

Is there a way to disable that aspect of it or is this yet again, another design flaw by Apple?

*EDIT - Examples*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a flaw...

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

I *DID NOT* say it was a flaw.

The problem is that it should be customizable.

It's called an "I" phone.

so "I" should be able to turn that **** off if it's bothering me.

4. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

What stupid comments? She doesn't say stuff like that to me. Maybe you're talking to her wrong.

5. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

I get that this upsets you, but really; the shouting and swearing do very little to your argument, other than make it seem petty.

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

One option is to type the question in to Google and stop being lazy by talking to your phone. :p ;)

I have to say though I haven't had trouble with Siri by getting silly answers unless I have asked it a stupid question. :)

7. Gmcube macrumors regular

That's exactly what you said. You gave two possibilities, either there is an option to disable that aspect or it's a design flaw. Your words.

8. ttmrn macrumors regular

OP has a point, give him a break. and stop ranting, will u all...

--
    if u all don't use ur siri and get what the OP is saying, i don't see why u all shld rant abt it.

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

If you want to customise your experience with your phone, you might want to look elsewhere.

For me, if Siri makes a quip or not, I don't really care.

10. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

Well then correction.

It is a flaw.

11. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Op get an android since u hate it so much... :rolleyes:

12. lip5016, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

THANK YOU. SOMEONE WITH A HEAD ON THEIR SHOULDERS.. FOR THE REST OF YOU.. IMAGINE HAVING TO LISTEN TO HER SAY ONE OF THESE STUPID COMMENTS AFTER EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU USE THE TIMER (I use the timer via Siri probably 10-20x/day)..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not like I'm asking for much. Or asking for any "added" functions. "Disabling" a function like this should be the simplest task. It, in no way whatsoever, affects the way Siri works. It's just annoying to listen to the same FOUR quirks OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER AGAIN!

:frustrated:

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Sometimes you have to put up with things that bother you.

I like the fact that Siri has a sense of humor. The first time she did it to me, I laughed for a while.

Maybe you should try laughing. We could use more as the world is somewhat sad these days. Maybe just try to relax!

14. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I just asked Siri where the nearest tanning salon was and I didn't get a reply like that. She said "Ok, here is the nearest tanning salon; it looks pretty close to you". Siri found the one right by my house. If you think Siri was programmed by Apple to personally insult you or your girlfriend, then turn it off. :rolleyes:

15. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I've also thought about starting a thread for this, because I also find it extremely annoying.

It all started about a week prior to the release of iOS8.

Would love to be able to turn it off. She used to always report back what my timer is set to (I use it 10+ times a day while in the lab), but now she only does half of all times and instead gives me a stupid comment. Sorry, but that is a loss of functionality, because she has a problem distinguishing between fifty/fifteen, sixty/sixteen and so on, and I need her to report back what she hears my command as.

16. davedvdy macrumors regular

I came up with the same exact result for the tanning salon
    question. However, I on the other hand found it quirky and humorous,
    but to each their own.

17. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

Ask it a few times. Sometimes she won't say anything at all and just give you the straight answer. Trust me. Try it. Keep asking for the nearest Tanning Salon (maybe 2-3x and you'll see!)

18. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I did try it several times, still got the same response. You could try using Google Now for some of your inquiries.

19. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Kind of imposing judgment.. don't you think?

But once again, this isn't the main focus of my frustration.. It's the TIMER that I use all day that's getting on my nerves.

20. pdxmatts, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

I believe you. I can only say that if it bothers you, set the timer manually

21. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. But you probably don't have to use the Timer function as often as I do.. Every single day, multiple times a day. Over the course of 1-2 years.. c'mon now.

22. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

Listen, if you don't like Siri you're more than welcome to hire yourself another personal assistant. I heard that Cortana is looking for a job at the moment.

Personally I enjoy Siri's edgy comments. She keeps me in check when I'm about to make a stupid decision... Like burying dead bodies in a bad location, or burning myself in a tanning salon.

23. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

If the little Siri comments bother you that much why don't you just open Clock app and set the timer yourself? You wrote this entire topic including screenshots so surely taking the extra step to use the app is worth preventing you from being harassed by Siri all day... It even remembers the time amount you last used.

24. davedvdy macrumors regular

Id probably have to agree with you on repeated commands, especially.
    As funny as any of this could be, I can see where it just isn't professional in general.

25. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

Good point... Apple should change the name of iPhone to Apple Phone :)

----------

You call it "imposing judement", I call it a valid heath warning. It must be part of Apple's new heath initiatives ;)