Any word on the TomTom app (pricing structure, etc)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Jun 9, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I am REALLY hoping that its a flat rate purchase, even if its like $50.

I don't want to have to pay a monthly subscription fee for it... what do you guys think will happen?

2. ryvetted macrumors member

It will suck if there's a subscription. I will pay $40 for a flat rate.

3. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

what interests me if it will be absolutely essential to buy the craddle.. which I think it'd be excessive for my sporadic needs for a GPS unit..

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I agree that a month-to-month subscription would be bad, but I wouldn't mind paying another $20 for each year's new map. Unlike a monthly subscription, I can chose to skip that if I wanted to.

Like, I'd buy it every 2 or 3 years once I feel there's a big enough change in local roads to justify it.

That would be fine with me.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I can't see any reason there would be a subscription. Physical GPS units don't have a subscription unless you're using real-time traffic. As long as all the maps are stored locally, there's nothing to subscribe to.

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

My prediction is it will be like $80 with some subset of maps and then other maps will cost extra.

7. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi
    I know this doesnt add much to the discssion but I contacted tomtom and they replied this morning:

"Dear Mr Chimpboy,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
    The reference number for your query is xxxxxx-xxxxxx.

We do not have specific details of the pricing of the software, however it will be released via the app store. Map costs will likely be similar too that of Navigator 7 but we currently have no specific details regarding costs. More information should be released in the coming weeks.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team"

8. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Then, I would just keep my new $150 4.3" Garmin nuvi and use it conveniently without map update for next 5 years.

$50 flat rate and/or subscription fee not worth the inconvenience.

9. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

No way I would pay $80, that would be nuts.
    It's straight up software...

10. mtehonica macrumors regular

Yeah, my guess is around $69.99 one time fee. No need for subscription. I can see them using the new in app purchase for map updates down the road. (no pun intended)

11. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Based on this, I went to TomTom's site and found a map for Brazil for the Navigator 7 for $119.99, for Western Europe for $89.99, and for Australia for $84.99.

12. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

:rolleyes:
    Luckily, no one will be forcing you to buy it.

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thanks, this is helpful. I found this about Navigator 7's cost:

You can also download after paying £35 ($56) or get it on a microSD card for £90 ($146).

So an iPhone TomTom app will probably be in the $50 U.S. range, I would guess.

I'm having trouble finding reliable info on map prices for that software. Anyone else know?

14. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

None of their other devices have monthly subscriptions (as far as I know). So I'm sure they wouldn't do that. You might have to pay extra to download some maps. Also the car kit will be another additional purchase (which they said is optional). However, the car kit looks like a really nice dock with some good features that would be worth it anyways. I'm not sure I even need a GPS, but I'm sorta considering buying it for the docking. Though maybe i can find another good dock that also charges and connects to the radio...

15. brianxstatic macrumors newbie

So with the tomtom app, is it going to function correctly on the iPhone 3G as it would with the iPhone 3Gs or are we going to be out of luck?

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

If you compare it to buying a full device, it's a deal. Also convergence, etc.

17. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

It'll work fine on the 3G.

18. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

My guess...expensive. And even more expensive if you want the dock/cradle system for the car. I would guess it will be the same price as their other products. For example, on Amazon the list price (not sale price) for Navigator 6 plus US maps...wait for it...$150. Hopefully, it won't cost quite that much!

Personally, I'd be willing to spend up to $100 for the software, maps and cradle combined.

Steve

19. e.m. macrumors 6502

I'm wondering the same thing.
    Does it require the hardware compass on the 3GS, or will it work fine on the 3G?

20. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

$100 sounds reasonable for the software+cradle.

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Should work fine on 3G. Most stand-alone devices don't have built-in compasses. They just use updated GPS feed data to figure out which direction you're moving in, as the 3G does in Google Maps.

22. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

My question is this.

Does anyone else's phone heat up when using the GPS for long stretches?

I was in Maryland, and lost, and I had my iPhone 3G hooked to the charger and using GPS.

After about 30 mins to an hour, my back was so hot, I immediately ripped the charger out and shut it off for an hour to cool.

I wonder if I will have the same issue and if it is only my phone that is broke.

I have used GPS other times, for not as long, and been fine, when not charging.

I also leave it on the charger over night, so long charge times is not the issue.

Only time it happened is when I did both.

I hope it was a fluke, because this TomTom thing sounds cool and I do not currently have a GPS of any kind in my truck.

23. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I don't think it will be subscription. TomTom typically provides the software and maps at a one time flat rate, and while software updates to the GPS application are free, the quarterly map updates cost money. You can purchase a one year subscription for map updates and other things. I have a feeling it will continue to work this way on the iPhone.

They also nickel and dime for extras on their store, such as speed camera locations, traffic information, and certain POIs. I think TomTom will use the new 'in application' purchase feature for these extras.

Steve

24. e.m. macrumors 6502

Cool, that'll be great, as I am not "eligible" until Jan 2010 for the subsidized upgrade.

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes, it is software. The maps cost a fortune to produce. One of the major map maker companies was recently sold for several billion dollars. My own TomTom is getting a bit old, so I'll need to update the maps at some point; Great Britain = about £30, Western Europe = about £70. I think USA was split into five regions; each region about £40. Many people will only need the region where they are living. All these prices are for updates. You decide how often you need them.

But that's just for the mapping data. Do you think TomTom will release their software cheap or for free? They are doing very well selling their devices. They make a profit from the hardware itself, that goes away when you buy the iPhone software. They make an indecent profit when you buy accessories, like a car charger, something to attach it to the windscreen. That goes away (or the profit goes to Apple) if you buy the software.

TomTom wants to and needs to make money. Don't expect this to come for free or cheap.