Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Think I want my 8 Plus back.
Xs Max is a fantastic phone but it just doesn’t feel right to me personally. It’s seems heavy, too long and awkward to use.
Face ID works most of the time but fails more often than Touch ID, especially when I am sitting with phone at a table.
The Xs Max OLED is stunning but.....mmm ....perhaps my eyes are more suited to LCD which just seem more real.

Seriously wish I hadn’t bothered upgrading. Perhaps I will grow to love the Xs Max but somehow I don’t think so.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Face ID works great for me. Maybe try redoing the set up in better light?

I still have my Product Red 8 Plus. I love that phone. Not going to let it go.

Why I upgraded is because I always wanted stereo audio recording capability on an iPhone and I finally got it. The speakers and mics seem a lot better too so calls to and from sound clearer. That’s what I was looking for and that’s what I got. Otherwise I’d have happily stayed with my Silver 8 Plus that I had traded in to get my Max. I love the 8 Pluses. They have the best LCD displays I’ve seen on a phone. I like Touch ID a lot, too.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the stereo sound on the Max is amazing. I watched a movie on my Max and loved the sound. Apple outdid themselves on that upgrade.

We all use our phones differently and are looking for different things. What made this worthwhile to me won’t necessarily apply to you. What were you looking for when you decided to upgrade?

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Think I want my 8 Plus back.
Xs Max is a fantastic phone but it just doesn’t feel right to me personally. It’s seems heavy, too long and awkward to use.
Face ID works most of the time but fails more often than Touch ID, especially when I am sitting with phone at a table.
The Xs Max OLED is stunning but.....mmm ....perhaps my eyes are more suited to LCD which just seem more real.

Seriously wish I hadn’t bothered upgrading. Perhaps I will grow to love the Xs Max but somehow I don’t think so.

You need to use it a few more days. Right now, you are focused on the differences. We all do it. I bet in a week you will feel differently.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Can live with one or the other no problem... i have both right now and they feel the same to me exactly

The notable improvement is camera quality and screen quality and stereo sound.

In terms of speed they are equally fast so its not worth upgrading just for speed alone. Upgrade only because of the improvements.

macblitz

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
the bigger display does make it harder to use. similar to 4 years ago, iphone 5 jump to iphone 6plus. It took abit getting used to. I'm a sucker for big screens so I know bigger screens will be harder to use 1 handed.

as for oled, I agree I can't tell the difference between which display is better. I know there is some difference and I even compare them side by side. I'm happy with either display.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I am gonna stick with the Xs Max for a few days and not make a snap decision.

I always want to have the best, latest phone but in honesty iPhone in recent years have been so good it’s hard for most people to justify change.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 8+ is a solid device, but it’s to the point of what does the use of prefer in terms of biometric security and form factor. That’s really what you’re purchasing between the two devices. The iPhone X form factor is that much more comfortable, I like Face ID and the OLED experience is far greater over LCD.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Perhaps it just because of what I am used to and will soon not want to be parted from the Xs Max, but I was happy enough last year to sell my X and get an 8+. Now a big part of that was probably screen size but at the minute I still consider Touch ID to be marginally better for my needs/usage and while I appreciate the look of the OLED screen....I don’t know....could easily live with LCD as I have been for years.

Reactions: navier

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The Touch ID still works better on average, but Face ID works generally good enough. I just like the screen/size ratio better on the X since my 7+ was too big for me to keep in shirt pocket.

MsRandall

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2011
Bay Area, Ca
My son is exchanging his iPhone XS Max for a regular X or 8 plus he says the Max is too awkward to operatie with one hand. He came from the 7 plus that I traded in too soon I guess

Last edited:

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Face ID works great for me. Maybe try redoing the set up in better light?

I still have my Product Red 8 Plus. I love that phone. Not going to let it go.

Why I upgraded is because I always wanted stereo audio recording capability on an iPhone and I finally got it. The speakers and mics seem a lot better too so calls to and from sound clearer. That’s what I was looking for and that’s what I got. Otherwise I’d have happily stayed with my Silver 8 Plus that I had traded in to get my Max. I love the 8 Pluses. They have the best LCD displays I’ve seen on a phone. I like Touch ID a lot, too.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the stereo sound on the Max is amazing. I watched a movie on my Max and loved the sound. Apple outdid themselves on that upgrade.

We all use our phones differently and are looking for different things. What made this worthwhile to me won’t necessarily apply to you. What were you looking for when you decided to upgrade?

Holy crap you’re right about the stereo sound. I just played an action packed scene of a movie and wow the audio.. it almost felt surround lol.

Reactions: 5105973

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Love my 8 Plus and happy with it but I upgraged to the Max mostly for the monster screen, plain and simple. I really want to keep the Max but I am really having a hard time moving from the crisp whites of the LCD display to the soft white/yellow of the OLED. On my second Max and still not 100% pleased although maybe I need to give it some time for my eyes and brain to adapt.

Reactions: MyMacintosh

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Perhaps it just because of what I am used to and will soon not want to be parted from the Xs Max, but I was happy enough last year to sell my X and get an 8+. Now a big part of that was probably screen size but at the minute I still consider Touch ID to be marginally better for my needs/usage and while I appreciate the look of the OLED screen....I don’t know....could easily live with LCD as I have been for years.

Everything you’re saying is legitimate. It very well could be the case that the 8+ is better for you. No two use-cases are exactly the same.

If I were you I’d give it until the end of your return period before making a decision. Just see if the user experience gets better, without you having to force it (you paid too much to do that). If it doesn’t, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with going back to the 8+. It’s an incredible phone.

As for me, no way am I going back. :D

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Nope. I do wish it still had touch ID. Face ID works well when you're looking at it but on a desk it's easier to use my thumb. And the OLED display is superior to LCD.

Bandit03

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2016
Still find myself reaching for the home button every once in a while but other than that, I'm happy I made the jump to the Max (still hate the "Max" name though :))

Reactions: BeeGood

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I wouldn't want the 8 Plus back, but I'll tell you...I'm thinking I might want the iPhone X back!

In the final analysis, I think that most of us are going to find that the size of the iPhone X (and the non-Plus Samsung 9) are just perfect for all around use.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
I had the X on launch and kept it for several months but just couldn’t live with the screen size over the Plus. I always thought that when a ‘Plus X’ came out it would be the one for me.

Reactions: Philthy84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.