Anybody disappointed with iPhone 4 (choosing Blackberry 9700 instead?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by westla7, Jun 11, 2010.

1. westla7 macrumors member

Hello,

Wonder, was anybody disappointed with iPhone 4? I loved the design and stuff.. but everything else -- the software, etc. -- was not changed too much. Love the "combined inbox" and multiple Exchange accounts but that's it. Still no additional info on home screen, etc.

I am seriously considering getting Blackberry Bold 9700 instead of iPhone 4. It's cheaper, it does email good, works with it really fast.

2. anthdci macrumors 6502

i have used one and hated it. The touch pad thing on all blackberrys is crap. I would never consider a blackberry over an iPhone, especially the iPhone 4

3. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I'm pretty happy with the iPhone 4:)
    This is probably the first launch I can think of where macrumors isn't full of complaint threads. It's an A+ in my book;)

4. LimeyBastard macrumors regular

Not me! I'll take iPhone over blackberry!

5. Dan in PA macrumors regular

I owned a 9700 a while ago (a year? two?) and it was a good phone. Nice keyboard, decent camera, BBM etc...but I just don't think it compares in any way to the iPhone 4. They just seem miles apart in my opinion. I'd say an Android phone would make a much better alternative.

6. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

I had a 3g, got the blackberry itch and sold it for a 9700. Loved it for a month until I realized I never browsed the web on it, media was boring, I had to start using an ipod again etc.

Sold it, got a 3Gs and realized that I will probably never leave iPhone again.

And disapointed in iPhone 4? WHAT?! Its a HUGE leap. Did you watch the keynote all the way through?

- Beautiful design, glass front and back.
    - 5 mega pixel camera with awesome flash.
    - Front facing camera/facetime
    - Video camera that can record HD
    - iMOVIE! Freakin iMovie.
    - And a ton of other things.
    - Crazy beautiful display

Top all that with iOS4 and you are in for one dream of a phone. Being able to multi-tasking while getting even better battery life than before is great. Folders are GREAT. Wallpaper is awesome. So much stuff coming. Bah I can't wait.

I think Blackberry's are very good phones but the bottom line is that the iPhone (especially iPhone 4) can do everything that a BB can do with a thousand more features and a fluid, user friendly web browsing/media experience.

7. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

well,

one of my family memebers has a blackberry she loves it, i tried to use it and it's just not what i am looking for in a phone, i think the iphone IS the best phone i've ever had.

8. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

If you're getting it provided to you by your employer, then sure 9700 is perfectly fine.

If you're getting a phone for your personal life, then iPhone 4 is much better.

Rim is trying with the media and app side, but they are nowhere near apple on it. Whereas apple is catching up with Rim on the messaging side of things. Still need facetime to turn into a competitor to bbm.

9. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

No.

Blackberry phones discriminate against the size of my fingers.

10. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

You need the original Bold. Best BB ever made.

11. JPG54 macrumors member

Uh, no. Blackberry vs iPhone 4 = no comparison. iPhone 4 wins hands down.

12. boricuazo macrumors member

Go with the Blackberry! You can buy the 9700 I'm selling to get the iPhone 4, just make an offer. ;)

13. DemonBob macrumors member

I hate blackberries with a passion. I have spent the last 5 years managing blackberry enterprise servers. All i can say is that yes email may be great on blackberries but coming from the management side of things, and being the one that always had to fix issues such as reconcile almost everyday. I will never use a blackberry for personal or enterprise use.

The only issue i have ever had with an iphone for work, was that one user tried to update his firmware for his phone and it was stuck in DFU mode. Most likely because he admited unplugging it halfway through the update process.

14. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

I'm also selling my Bold 9700 to get an iPhone 4. The Bold has notifications on the home screen (which future iOS versions will likely address), good call quality (hopefully iPhone 4 will be better in this respect) and keyboard (but it's tiny so personally I can't type with any speed) but a lousy browser and dated/buggy OS. Reboot doesn't work for example. Had to pull the battery yesterday when Opera Mini refused to close...

15. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

OP, are you seriously asking this question here?

16. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Hear Hear DemonBob!

I hate the technology RIM uses, yes the data is encrypted really highly, but I don't want MY data going through their servers. I hate that if you have Exchange already you have to buy their Enterprise Server to support Blackberry users and I hate how you can only see emails which have been delivered to the device. The way iOS handles mail is (I'll probably get flamed) much better in terms of accessing old emails and in the routing of mail.

I also hate how you have to add users into BES when exchange is perfectly fine for this.

Saying that, I would love the next version of OSX Server to be able to sync mail, calendaring, tasks, notes, contacts in a way that will really compete with Activesync and RIM.

17. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Yes I will most definitely be doing this.

NOT :)

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think BB's advantage and power is its email capabilities. If you need to use this for work or do a lot of emailing, then the BB is a great tool. Other then that, I believe it falls short of what apple provides.

OP, are you disappointed with the 3Gs? The reason why I ask is that the the iPhone 4 is an evolutionary update to the 3Gs, not a huge revolutionary step up (unless you think the gyro is :p ) My point is if you're unhappy with the 3Gs you will likewise be unhappy with the 4.

19. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I had the Bold 9000, and currently the 9700. I plan on switching over to the iPhone 4 when it comes out (parents have iphones as well). Like others say, the push capabilities over BIS is amazing, for mobile email there is nothing like it. But that is pretty much it, the iPhone wins hands down in every category except battery life and perhaps the keyboard. The positives on the iPhone outweighs the positives of the 9700 by a large margin in my opinion. If you only want to use your mobile for email, calling, texting/messenging, the Blackberries does a fine job, I'd recommend the Blackberry. But if you want the apps via itunes or jailbreaking, accessories, compatibility with Mac computers (Blackberry's Desktop Manager for Mac is problem prone), and everything else, the iPhone is by far the winner.

20. alent1234 macrumors 603

i have an old curve 8330 and a 3GS. once iOS4 comes out the only thing i'll use my BB for is taking calls for work.

21. gazzrenn macrumors 6502

gazzrenn

My 3GS kicks ass for my Exchange push email at work.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Mine did too, but that doesn't mean the BB's email capability (along with its hardware keyboard) is superior to the iPhone's

23. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, I agree. My mom has a blackberry. Blech. She's excited cause she's getting the iphone now (between me and my co workers she's wishing she got one of those instead last time). I think if I had the blackberry I'd have ended up using it mostly like a phone with a few more features (which means I wouldn't be using it that much. I really use my iphone more like a mini computer than a phone. I don't really use phones much).

I mean if I was that disappointed with the iphone 4, I'd just keep my old iphone. that's even cheaper and I'd like it way over a Blackberry. I might consider an Android phone (not hte one AT&T carries though, tried it and disliked it. The incredible didn't seem too bad and the Evo sounds decent). In my opinion, the Blackberry is not a phone that those who want an iphone or something like it would be happy with.

24. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

I cannot stand there web browser, old OS, or lack of good media software.

25. westla7 thread starter macrumors member

9700 was released less than a year ago, last November. Not sure what exactly did you own, but that phone was not 9700 for sure.