Anybody having iPhone X buyers remorse?

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Having just watched CNET editor Brians take on the iPhone X pre order shenanigans last Friday has got me rethinking my purchase....

Here's a link to the video if you havent seen it.

Basically he was saying how the preordering of his iPhone X left him feeling sickly afterwards.

And I agree with him. As soon as i pressed that buy button last Friday a weird feeling came over me too - almost like a feeling of guilt.

£1000 for a PHONE! Thats all I kept thinking in my head. The thing is i needed a new iPhone because my launch day 6 was performing badly battery-wise and speed so I was close to buying the iPhone 8 on release but i got caught up in all the X hype so i decided to wait.

Now the pre order buzz is over, and after watching Brian's aftermath thoughts, its got me thinking again- do i REALLY need the iPhone X or am i just getting it because i can, since i know ill be more than able to get by with an 8.

The only thing the iPhone X has over the 8 that i care about mainly is the dual camera, bigger screen/smaller format as i hate mammoth sized phones hence why i don't want to get the iPhone 8 Plus.

And i get it, Apple are a company that's in the business of making LOADS of money but let's be honest, Apple have been calculated sneaky buggers! i think they could've easily made an edge to edge LCD screen for the 8 and many people would have been happy with that; myself included. And would have been enough of handset design change without stealing too much thunder from the flagship X.

TL;DR

The way I'm feeling now is, when my X arrives in 2-3wks I'm probably going to play around with it for the two weeks and see if the novelty wears off then return it for the 8, use the money saved and buy some other tech goodies like some much needed bluetooth headphones ...Hmm we'll see.

Jjayf

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2015
The problem is with people, mainly young people, who believe they really must have this device but can't actually afford it. For me, I've been waiting since the 6 for a phone with a larger screen in a smaller format. This device has answered my prayers.. I'm old and established, I can afford this, and no other device on the market fits as well into my needs as the X.

importraverxx

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2010
That depends on people's financial state. If someone is literally on paycheck to paycheck, dropping 1K on a phone is stupid, though you can always do IUP 0% and just cough up $50/month. If you can't put aside $50 a month or got denied on IUP, you should just keep using current your phone right now....

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
It's not that much more than comparable 8 Plus. Apple High end smartphones are close to a grand these days.

myscrnnm

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Nope. The iPhone X was announced over a month ago. We've had plenty of time to decide whether or not it's the right device. I always do my research before buying anything, and weigh it against my other options. Worst case scenario if it's nothing like what I thought it'd be based on empirical data, there is that generous return policy.

Reactions: TheSuperE

960design

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The problem is with people, mainly young people, who believe they really must have this device but can't actually afford it. For me, I've been waiting since the 6 for a phone with a larger screen in a smaller format. This device has answered my prayers.. I'm old and established, I can afford this, and no other device on the market fits as well into my needs as the X.
Same here... been poor, done that for years. Now I'm old and can afford my hobbies. Some people like monster trucks, others like big block chevy's, still others racing lawn mowers... me, I like tech.

winmac2015

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2015
If you feel 'sickly' about ordering the phone then chances are you shouldn't have done it to begin with. For me? Just a tax write off in my eyes.

Reactions: TheSuperE

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
Can you point to a device that's more critical to your daily communication and information gathering than your phone?

The video is more a critique of Apple sales practices, and you're talking about spending the saved money on other toys anyway. I don't see what there is to feel bad about, in the least.

Reactions: TinyChip

ziggy3055

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2009
Nope. I have "buy it now need any credit I can get it any way I can get it" so I love my X :rolleyes:

ImBuz

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
California
Same here--I have a plain old 6--works OK--but this is what really has looked like a good replacement--I am all in !

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Having just watched CNET editor Brians take on the iPhone X pre order shenanigans last Friday has got me rethinking my purchase....

Basically he was saying how the preordering of his iPhone X left him feeling sickly afterwards.

And I agree with him. As soon as i pressed that buy button last Friday a weird feeling came over me too - almost like a feeling of guilt.

£1000 for a PHONE! Thats all I kept thinking in my head. The thing is i needed a new iPhone because my launch day 6 was performing badly battery-wise and speed so I was close to buying the iPhone 8 on release but i got caught up in all the X hype so i decided to wait.

Now the pre order buzz is over, and after watching Brian's aftermath thoughts, its got me thinking again- do i REALLY need the iPhone X or am i just getting it because i can, since i know ill be more than able to get by with an 8.

The only thing the iPhone X has over the 8 that i care about mainly is the dual camera, bigger screen/smaller format as i hate mammoth sized phones hence why i don't want to get the iPhone 8 Plus.

And i get it, Apple are a company that's in the business of making LOADS of money but let's be honest, Apple have been calculated sneaky buggers! i think they could've easily made an edge to edge LCD screen for the 8 and many people would have been happy with that; myself included. And would have been enough of handset design change without stealing too much thunder from the flagship X.

TL;DR

The way I'm feeling now is, when my X arrives in 2-3wks I'm probably going to play around with it for the two weeks and see if the novelty wears off then return it for the 8, use the money saved and buy some other tech goodies like some much needed bluetooth headphones ...Hmm we'll see.
I think you deserve it! As long as you can afford it, just keep it and enjoy. I know $1k is alot of money, but if you keep it for 2 years and sell it for 40% of your original investment, it aint that bad.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I won't lie. I get that tendency of buyer's remorse. Here's why though: I haven't tried it.
I'm a rational buyer...or at least these days. I used to buy annually until I realized I could be saving a lot of money if I kept the phone for few years.

Of course, I will return if I don't like, so I'll give a fair trial with x. IF x plus came out, I know I won't regret it.
It's not that I can't afford it, but I'm all about saving money, but at the same time, I would like to try a new design/tech.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I was having buyer’s remorse so I canceled my preorder. I fell for the X hype, but realized that I do not want to unlock my phone with my face and I don’t want to go back to using a passcode. I think Apple dropped by the ball by not including a fingerprint scanner in some way.

Since I needed a phone ASAP, I purchased an iPhone 7 (don’t think the iPhone 8 is worth the extra money) to hold me over until next year, and I’ll see what Apple does then.

DJosche

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2017

TL;DR

The 8 isn't that much cheaper...depending on your storage size you are basically looking at $200-$400, good luck buying 'a bunch of other goodies' with that. :)