Anybody Heavily Considering the Bold??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Burton8219, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I don't mean to be a party pooper here, but is anyone here beside me giving a really good look at the Blackberry Bold?? The screen is absolutely gorgeous and could give the iPhone screen a run for its money as you can see from the pics to follow... it has a 480x320 screen, but I don't know the dpi for it. I mean it is a really slick looking device and it has many good features. The one I am particularly excited about is the option to run multiple apps in the background, which I know has been available to do on Blackberries for a long time, but me being a 17 year old kid has not had had much experience with smartphones before the iPhone. Anyway this device is looking really good and cant wait for both to come out so I can make an in-person decision on which to get.

2. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For you guys who haven't seen it yet... these are real world pics of John Mayer's Blackberry Bold.

3. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

4. animenick65 macrumors 6502

The one thing I like about Apple is they pay attention to details. The time should be centered under "AT&T". Little things like that show shoddy work.

5. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I've been a long time BB user prior to switching over to iPhone. I think if I never had first hand experience with the iPhone, I would seriously consider the new BB but now knowing what iPhone can do and the potential, there is no way I would ever go back to using BB.

JMHO

6. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are forgetting that this is a pre-release version, and while it isn't really a big deal to begin with it will prob get fixed by release. And if it doesn't I can live with it.

I'm pretty sure it has been stated that the Thunder will be CDMA only. I could be wrong though.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I noticed that too. That would drive me crazy. Besides, the screen is too small. I like the size of the iPhone. I also really hate the UI and the organization of blackberry phones. Just my opinion. I'll be sticking with the iPhone. Enjoy your bold. I bet you'll wish you went iPhone within a week ;).

EDIT: I also hate the keyboard. I can't type with those.

8. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

and look at the QWERTY keyboard... Apple utilizes that by making it built into the software and not having it as an actual part of the product (the keyboard is there when it needs to be there, can the Bold tkae away its keyboard when its not in use. NO!), apple is all simplicity, other companies are not. This is just another smarthphone, the iPhone takes its own category in this. What other company has tons of people waiting in line for its phones prior to it being released, no one I can recall but apple. When you hear about the iPhone, its the iPhone, when you hear about the Bold, you are like wtf? whats Bold. there are too many blackberry type phones out there, but only one iPhone. thats whats good about apple

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I was hoping for an even "smaller" screen, you know one that I can put on a "frickin'" pinkie ring! LOL :D

10. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

FYI, I never said I was definitely getting a Bold, especially with the new rumors that it has been delayed until August; I don't know if I can wait out the extra month knowing the 3G iPhone is out there. I just said I was considering it. Oh and btw, the Bold has the same screen resolution as the iPhone, therefore you lose.

11. cjandnw macrumors 6502

12. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys I am not saying that I don't like the iPhone, considering I still have my 1st Generation iPhone, I'm just pointing out the competition. Also, the reason for the lines outside the store were because of the rumors that it was coming out the day of the keynote. Part of the lines is also because of the "cool" factor of the iPhone, which has died down on the Blackberry side. People, this is still Apple's second crack at a phone and people are still hyped about it.

I don't know if you have ever used a blackberry before, but the screens always look small in the photos... wait till you get it in your hand. The screen always looks bigger in person, but that's just my experience.

13. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Dude if you have an iPhone, why are you thinking of switching to Bold... I see no reason too. iPhones are the **** right now, believe it or not. As you said its still a hype. When you show your friend an iPhone its awesome, when you show them blackberry phone they are like oh.... Whenever i see blackberry type phones it makes me think they are made only for buisness people, but the iPhone is not. thats the difference

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, I don't see the attraction - that screen may look nice, but it's tiny and would definitely be a step backwards from the iPhone for web browsing, viewing videos, etc, etc
    For me, the iPhone with ActiveSync is pretty much perfect as it is, and adding 3G and GPS will be the icing on the cake.
    Finally, having used the exemplary interface of the iPhone for the last 7 months or so, I can't imagine having to go back to a non-multitouch phone.

15. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dude, you need to find the nearest BlackBurried Fanboy Forum, 'cuz this ain't it! No trolling allowed... :eek:

16. Bakey macrumors 6502

It's called an opinion "dude", get over it! Sheesh! These forums are full of bad karma lately... :rolleyes:

17. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Huh - I just assumed Mayer was a Mac guy and therefore an iPhone guy, since didn't he perform at a few Apple events?

Edit: Ah, I just checked his website, and it looks like his tour is sponsored by Blackberry -- hence the BB phone.

18. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

19. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Trolling along ...

This post totally reads like a troll to me. You claim to be some average excited 17 year old, but yet you are concerned about multi-tasking applications on your phone? Yet you seem to be completely clued out on technology in general? While it's certainly possible this is a "real" post, it sure doesn't read like one.

Even if you are being honest, it has the same effect as a troll post. You are basically just posting a glowing (yet supposedly "innocent") recommendation of an alternative product to a forum that has an obvious apple/iPhone slant. Complete with sharp, good-looking product shots of the competition as well.

Then, despite every post including a statement like "Hey, I'm not promoting the Blackberry but ...", you proceed to defend the blackberry choice from all comers.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Dude, as I stated before: Trolling defined by MR Rules. Do not post in order to anger other members or intentionally cause negative reactions. For a given post, this can be a subjective call, but a pattern of such posting or an especially egregious case will get you banned. Basically, don't try to pick fights...:eek: Sheesh!:rolleyes:

21. semi5 macrumors newbie

The screen resolution may be the same, but the actual screen size is far smaller. Its so hard to look at the screen on my BB curve after using an iPhone. Watching videos or brosing the web is just painful on a BB.

Also, 3rd party apps kind of stink on the BB. I am looking foward to the app store with all the great apps for my iPhone.

22. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

23. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

FYI I never assumed you definatly were getting the Bold. I just said you would regret it if you did buy it. And screen resolution and screen size is different. Be mature about it. You act like this is a competition. Sheesh.

24. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I was until I heard it was going to be delayed. I can't wait any longer for a nice phone.

25. Burton8219 thread starter macrumors 6502

The new OS for Blackberry has full HTML internet and email though. Also Blackberries have push email without getting MobileMe... although I really like the idea of push calendar and contacts. Just more reasons that are tearing me in both directions!!! lol

I know that iPhones are the **** right now, trust me I get enough people still coming up to me and asking if they can play with it. The reason that people are less excited about blackberries is that Blackberries have been strictly business oriented in both design of the OS and the handset itself. Now that RIM is realizing that some people can be business and cool at the same time, they are branching out and making new great looking devices like the Bold and Thunder.

Dude, don't know what happened to you today, but I'm not trolling. If anything I'm doing the opposite because from the responses I'm getting it seems that this thread is driving people even closer to the iPhone lol. And I'm not a Blackberry fanboy in the slightest. I am 17 and have been raised on Mac since I was old enough to use a computer. If anything I'm one of the biggest Apple fanboy's out there! lol I was just trying to show people an alternative because for the number of people that are super excited for the iPhone 3G , there is a line just as big for people who aren't as excited.

Thank you bakey. One of the most level headed kids I've seen on these forums in a while. Thanks for the backup lol