anyone actually HAPPY with their new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Marty McFly, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Marty McFly macrumors newbie

so far i've read nothing but complaints on here about it from the glossy screen, crooked keys, screen resolution, cosmetic imperfections etc.

so i'm wondering if there is anyone who purchased one who is genuinely happy with their purchase and have a flawless(in their eyes) product?

all these posts about defects or imperfections has me worried about the arrival of mine. just need a bit of reassurance from satisfied customers. haha

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

my first one had a misaligned battery cover, but i love the one i got today.

if i did not like the machine in general i would have gotten my money back

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the Forum FAQ:
    To start a new thread:
    1. Browse or search the forums to see if there is already a thread on the topic. If so, post there instead of creating a new thread.

If you search using MRoogle, you're more likely to find what you're looking for than using the standard forum search.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

sorry i do not have the pro and must not be allowed in the cool kid forum

5. Marty McFly thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. but i checked the first 4 pages for a similar thread and theres nothing that collectively asks for opinions from current NEW mbp owners. sure there's isolated "i got my new MBP" threads, but that's not what im asking for.

im sure your efforts will be more appreciated in the thousand (re)posts about glossy screens, new vs. old and "Which to buy".

6. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Bought mine the very day after they came out and I love it. Good luck with yours.

7. sk47 macrumors member

You gotta remember, people on macrumors are some of the most perfectionist when it comes to new electronics from apple. And you may see regular posts here (90% of which are minor problems by the way, which you WILL see repeated in rev B/C/D/etc) but compared to the overall amount of mbp that are being manufactured, we are a VERY small sample size, most likely a picky/anal population lol. And you have to also remember that many complaints so far have been subjective ones, like preference of one design over another, inclusion of this exclusion of that, etc

But yeah, I'm extremely happy with mine. With apple, I've always had this "good luck" type thing where I would always get near perfect machines.

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

The thread title question implies that the majority of purchasers are unhappy with their new Macbook Pros. I doubt that is actually the case.

There are a few main areas of complaints:

1) Glossy screen only - This is a valid complaint.

2) Macbook Air style keyboard - Personal preference. I like the new keyboard, but that is what I am used to.

3) Minor imperfections/flaws/problems - This is nothing new and you'll find that every model of Apple computer ever made has had a few minor defects in some units. Return it, exchange it, be done with it. :D

4) Software glitch/multitouch problem - The new gestures are fairly new and the software is just getting out into the market. Apple will be patching it so I'm not paying it much attention at the moment.

I'm happy with my Macbook Pro, but that is just my opinion.

9. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

It is a very good topic. Actually, I was about to start myself one.
    Shortly after release of new MBP I ordered one of those beautiful machines, but the reports on various forums about problems concerning the new laptops made me cancel my order. Issues with battery life, sleep mode, screen imperfections (red, green tints), fan noise issues etc make me a bit scared.

I think all those issues are Rev.A related and will be fixed very soon. A word of a good advice has been given by one of the members of this forum: wait a couple of weeks and order your machine.

I am a perfectionist in everything and it will be not so easy for me to use a laptop which will drive me crazy every single day...

That's why I would also like to know if anybody is actually completely satisfied with his/her new MBP/MB. Maybe those people complaining are the ones who got a faulty machine which are just few exceptions... I really hope it is the case....

10. wbe858 macrumors member

I just went to get mine the other day and since then i have been loving every minute of it. Personally the keyboard i love and the glossy screen isn't as bad as i thought it would be, i was outside yesterday typing a paper and it really wasn't an awful reflection.

11. The Viking macrumors member

I am in love with mine. My only regret is not bumping up to the 2.8 GHz model.

I was pissed that the MacBook gained pro features like the backlit keyboard and video just to lose Firewire, but I'm so glad I went up to the Pro.

Glossy or no, I prefer using this screen as my primary display now. It makes my external monitor (and my old MacBook screen) difficult to look at.

12. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

First I just have to say... Your name is awesome haha.

Anyways, I received my mbp 2.53 ghz, 320gb 7200 hd on tuesday. After looking it over I realized there was nothing wrong with it, so I turnes it on only to find (you guessed it) nothing wrong with it! Yesterday I installed vista ultimate 64 bit and found no problems. I also have no keyboard, LCD, heat or any other issues posted. In other words I'm happy with the machine. The only problem for me is that I am a total newbie with osx and vista which is just a problem at my end ;-) give me this weekend and I'll be much better. Although I learned a lot in one night with OSX and neither operating system is all that difficult to pick up. The names of things are just different. The machine is very quiet! Basically unheard unless of course I'm pushing the machine. Remember though, heat is to be expected when you are pushing a machine that powerful in that small of an enclosure. When you are pushing the machine, the aluminum case does get hot... But that should be expected! I've got something to raise the back of the computer up which I really like. It also keeps the screen eye level and probably running much cooler.

Yes I'm happy with the machine completely, I would just love to figure out how to make video or open programs FULL SCREEN in osx and not have it go to sleep when I shut the lid (there's a program for that though called insomnia x I believe). I've just got to figure it out like I said, but the machine is fine. I notice from an angle the F6 - F11 or whatever look crooked but it's an illusion from the backlit keyboard. When I look at it from above the keys, they're fine.

Any more questions I'll try to answer, but don't worry hopefully it will be all good for you too.

13. Logos327 macrumors 6502

14. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I have a tiny less then 1/2 a mm raised pimple on the top left of my keyboard, but I really can not be bothered. I did not notice day one only now 3 days on. Apple are happy to swap the machine. But I am just going to keep it.

15. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Bought my 2.53GHz MBP on 10/16. No problems so far, very happy with it.

16. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I am close to happy with my new MacBook Pro but not completely.

There is a small abrasion on the front edge but it's so small that you wouldn't even notice it unless you really looked for it. The lid is not 100% flush with the bottom casing. The left side actually sits back by about 1mm or so. This does not impact the performance of the notebook itself at all.

I also had it wake up at some point while it was enclosed in my backpack. When I opened my backpack to take it out, it felt like when you open an oven door and all the heat blows out. I could barely hold the notebook because it was so hot. When I opened the lid, I had a black screen but it was turned on. I had to do a hard shutdown. Lots of other people are having the same issue. See thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=587930

Other than that, it's a great notebook. The screen is simply amazing. No dead pixels, pretty much evenly lit throughout the whole screen. It is by far the best notebook screen I have ever owned.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Thanks mod.

Oh wait....

18. eleven2brett macrumors regular

I'm happy with the computer. I just think i paid to much for it.

19. jeff48 macrumors member

20. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Absolutely love mine! I did originally buy a MacBook and loved everything about it except the display (found the quality and viewing angles weren't great compared with what I was used to). Exchanged it for the MacBook Pro and I couldn't be happier!

I loved my previous MBP, but this thing blows it away in terms of build quality (I LOVE the solidness of the unibody construction) and screen quality (personally I think it makes the 2yr old cinema displays I have connected to my Mac Pro look like crap :D)

So yeah, There ARE people out there who love the MBP!

21. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Just turn it off before you stuff it in your backpack:rolleyes: Fans can't function when they are sucking in fabric from the backpack walls, hence the gush of heat you are experiencing:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    You call this an issue?? I call it lack of CS. When you fry your CPU ,you'll be the first one complaining, Apple sucks!:(

22. Crash1234 macrumors regular

I went through machines and decided to get my money back for the time being. All of mine had warped lids, one had a defective optical drive and two felt like something was clunking inside the case when lifted. Idk what's going on but I had nothing but bad luck. That being did this is a truley beautiful machine and had I Bern able to get one without clunking, a working optical drive, and a lid that was reasonably not warped I would own one now. If you're lucky enough to get one without defects, or atleast without defects that bother you then you'll love it. I plan on trying to buy again in a month or so after the first batch of product has thinned out. Maybe I'll have more luck then. I hope you get a good one and enjoy it.

23. smukkebenne macrumors member

24. singaporesling macrumors newbie

I got mine yesterday afternoon and so far everything appears to be flawless. The screen has no dead or stuck pixels and looks absolutely amazing, and my unibody seems to be flawless as well. I'm taking this baby to class for the first time today. Although I actually thought this thing felt huge because i've been toting a 2 pound 8.9 inch netbook around for two months :p