Anyone all in on itunes movies and tv shows

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by jetjaguar, Oct 11, 2017.

1. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

Hi Rigby!
    Thank you for your advice. Sadly, i've done that. BRILLIANT film. I love the work of Bruce Weber. Sad that it's only in SD though as it was pretty grainy in quality.

I saw a new jazz documentary last night called 'THE JAZZ LOFT' absolutely FANTASTIC. Jazz scene in NYC in the 1950/60s. Really recommended!

This is why i'm gutted as it's a great film. If Apple had offered a iTunes voucher so that i could have repurchase, they would of had a happy customer! Easy as that.

2. Rigby macrumors 601

I actually have it in HD?!
    I agree that the customer service response you posted was completely inadequate. At least iTunes does allow us to make backups, which is not the case for any of the other major services ...

3. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

WOW You are very lucky having it in HD then Rigby. It's never been offered in HD over in the UK! Isn't it strange how iTunes differs in this global connected one world!

That's incredible that other service don't allow back ups. How can they legally sell something to a customer if it can be pulled at any time?

4. KtothaEvin macrumors newbie

Wasn’t a believer until I purchased the Apple TV 4k. I got Planet of the Apes Trilogy in 4k for the same price as one stand alone flick. It was $34.99 in Canada. Bonus was getting War of the Planet of the apes a couple weeks early. I could get used to this!

5. DarkSorrow82 macrumors regular

DarkSorrow82

I only have 60 iTunes movies. My Plex server is where it's all at. I have 80 TB of storage and over 3500 movies with over 1500 TV shows.

6. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

Just had word from Apple in a Email that you 'lose' from your iCloud library the film when the film changes distributor' as is what happened to me!
    So there you go guys, DOWNLOAD AND BACK-UP IN 2017. Sadly, that means your 4K films are basically 'on loan' to you!

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Yes but not because of 4K. I very rarely buy movies from amazon. Usually only if they are significantly cheaper or on some kind of promo. I’ve hundreds of movies and tv shows from iTunes.

8. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

WOW, make sure that you back them all up dude!

9. kylew1212 macrumors member

It's ridiculous that in 2017 we need to back these up, but I guess that's the state of things..

I have over 100 movies in iTunes, and none are currently backed up. I do not currently even have a good way to back this number of moves up..

10. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

OMG! After what happened to me and the fact that Apple couldn't of cared a damn, please back up with must have films. I find the whole thing greedy, dishonest and repulsive. Apple seriously needs wording on their iTunes pages under the download button advising to 'back up' the film.

11. archer75 macrumors 65832

Set up movies anywhere. It's free and will sync them across 4 platforms. If something happens in one place you still have them in 3 others. But other than that, back 'em up! There are lots of storage solutions out there.

12. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

Is this only in the USA? I don't think that we have it in Europe.

13. archer75 macrumors 65832

I don't know. I think so. I'm sure they answer that on the website.

14. off_piste macrumors 6502a

What studio produced it? Maybe contact their customer service to see if they can help you? Mention you have proof of purchase?

15. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I have a 2TB external hard drive that I use with my MacBook Air. That’s where I keep all my backups.

16. kylew1212 macrumors member

I do have them sync'ed with Movies Anywhere. Or rather the movies that will sync. I'm hoping that Paramount and Lionsgate jump onboard soon!

17. DeApp1e macrumors 6502

DeApp1e

How does everyone backup their iTunes purchased content on an external hard drive?

18. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Warehousing is not the only hurdle. It is also the tedious task of ripping every disc. Upgrading drive storage when you need more space or if one fails. If a catastrophic event happens, yes... you have a physical backup. But you will then have to re-rip it all over again.

This was my dilemma. It just got too tedious.

19. v3rlon macrumors 6502

pretty much. Occasionally we go to Amazon, and lesser shows get wait for Netflix.
    Sports I watch with an antenna.

I have been very happy with it, and it is cheaper than what I was paying DirecTV.

20. George Dawes macrumors 6502a

George Dawes

c 4-500 movies and tv shows and prefer the apple ecosystem over any physical media by a light year

convenience and amazing vfm

perfect example just now , spiderman homecomings out , i d/l it , then my brother watches it on his atv , my sister on her atv , dad on his ipad etc etc

all for the price of one movie

beat that blu ray

21. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

I do it through TimeMachine on my LaCie harddrive. I make a habit of backing up my MacBook every 7 days. Then when I buy a film, I now download it onto my MacBook and make a TimeMachine backup of the MacBook's contents. I keep an Apple Pages document showing the date each film was backed up. Hopefully i'll never need to use it, but it's there now for safety.
    Sad thing for me is, I only own about 30-40 iTunes films and I lost one.

22. Gulfam macrumors member

See, I don't understand the fear mongering everywhere about movies going missing etc etc. The fact that the rights changed hands should have made no impact on your purchased copy. There have been many instances when the movies have been totally removed from sale from the iTunes store yet the people who purchased them still have access to them. I think whoever you talked to in support didn't understand the situation and if you had pressed a bit harder and taken more of a stance they should have compensated you the £4.99 to repurchase the title (but again why you should have to beats me)

Even with physical media you run the risk of the disc going bad (it happens), loaned discs either being lost or not returned by friends or discs getting scratched and not playing properly (as folks with kids know all too well), digitally if someone were to lose one movie people freak out but no one freaks about a faulty disc idk.

Its funny how other streaming providers don't offer a download option, that doesn't mean stick with iTunes. It means if they lose your movie it's their responsibility to refund you. Ironically Apple can hide behind their download option and say shame you should have downloaded it.

23. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 6502a

Hi Gulfam.
    In the end I dealt with TWO different management including one given to me by Angela, Head of Apple Store who I messaged on LinkedIn!!! That's how utterly disgusted I was with Apple.
    They spend 3 days with 'engineers' and came back with the answer that it had changed distributors. Apple DOES NOT apparently carry money in the iTunes section so WILL NEVER REFUND on a purchase over 90 days.
    It was arrogant of them to use the 'You should download it, which I immediately asked how one downloads a 4K HDR' for which they quickly moved on!
    Luckily this is the only one thats gone missing and I'm wondering if it's because its a tiny independent company. If so, shame on them!!!
    I had some French films that are not longer sold on iTunes but still play in my library for ATV 4K so it's unusual.
    BUT LONG TERM this is going to be a problem maybe, as anything over 90 days is classified as 'not interested'.
    If Apple make MacBooks etc obsolete after 5 years (or whatever the age) then maybe it's the same for iTunes purchases after a few years???
    I still love buying film on iTunes and Vimeo but I look feel a little sick in my stomach when I switch on my ATV 4K and have a check of my library to see if a favourite film is still there. And I shouldn't feel that should I???