Anyone come from an sgs2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matttye, Dec 2, 2011.

1. matttye macrumors 601

I have a galaxy s2 which I love and didn't really have any problems with it until I got my iPad two days ago.

I'm now thinking it might be better to get an iPhone so that I can benefit more from iCloud and the fact I only have to buy apps once.

I'm not sure if it's worth it though, as I'd have to sell my phone for about £300 and then put £200 towards an iPhone 4S.

Has anybody ever swapped the sgs2 for an iPhone? Do you think it was worth it?

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I spent about $800 of the SGS 2 (yes I overpaid), used it a month and sold it for $475. Then I paid full unlocked price to get a 4S.

It was totally worth it for me, because I really like the integration with other i-devices and Macs. I really enjoy all the nice features of iCloud without having to download one 3rd party app. This is what Apple means by "it just works (out of the box)". I didn't have any problems with using iOS, but if I do, I know I can walk into any Apple store and get free help. Priceless.

As for app sharing, it's great. I share my apps with my wife's iPhone and iPad, and daughter's iPod, even though they each have their own iCloud backup and photostream.

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

I think the thing with the gs2 or any high end Android phone is that they are good...for now. At this one point in time, they are good. But the support ends practically the day they are released. What you get is what you're stuck with, unless you go through the ROM hunt process.

I bought a 3GS in 2009. I've seen hundreds of new features and continuous improvement up until the day I got the 4S (and continuing to this day). I've also been able to get easy replacement phones when needed, just by walking into an apple store.

This is what makes the difference: support.

4. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Well mine didn't "just work" as itunes kept saying my debit card info was wrong. I tried it at least 20 times but nada.

The following day it worked first time :p

But I take your point. I love the iCloud integration, that's one of my main reasons for considering the switch.

5. naths macrumors 6502

i went from a SGS11 to a 4S(hated it..to small),,now got a Galaxy Nexus,the best phone on the market at the moment....if iwas you i'd wait until the SGS3, and as for the 4S,great phone, but yesterdays size and design..dont do it...you will find the screen tiny!!!!

6. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Samsung has committed to releasing ics for it but that's likely to be the last update.

I might try playing with the iPhone for a bit and see what I think. I want to have a good look at the screen as that's my favourite thing about the sgs2.

----------

Yeah that's one of my concerns :(

7. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Apple has a new device coming out that will revolutionise the smart phone industry, it will also bring the iphone back to the forefront of technology.

magnifying-glass-1.jpg

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The only valid argument (in my eyes) is not having to buy apps more than just once. THAT can certainly be a pain.

As far as icloud, it's nice, but google can store your contacts, calendars, etc just as well (and you can set this up for iOS as well). In short, any info you are syncing to the cloud can be done through your Google account, so that's basically a draw.

In terms of support, that's true, to an extent. If you are one to jailbreak and mod your Apple products you won't be too put off by manufacturer lack of updates though, as you will be able to install anything and everything you want from the dev community. I also never quite understood the argument that Apple gets all updates right away. While that is certainly true, most of these updates are marginal at best (see iOS 5.0 versus 5.0.1; we got better battery that didn't even help all users. Woopiedoo!). IMO updates are WAY overrated. It feels good to be on the newest software update, but you don't really know why you care at the end of the day because you didn't really get any new features. If you are not one to mod your phone, and you are one to worry about whether your firmware has an up to the minute update regardless of what it actually does, then I agree the android device is never going to be for you.

If Apple weren't such tighta**es about locking down their ecosystem, I would likely not even consider anything else. Third party developers will always fill the voids where Apple, Google, MS, leave off. Problem is, if they are not given the chance, you are SOL.

----------

In terms of quality, I would say it's a draw. It depends on if you like the ultra neon poppy colors of a oled display. At first, I thought I loved it, but I have grown to like the warmer, more natural colors on the iPhone. Screen size there is no contest. SGS2 wins that, hands down.

9. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I just like the idea that I take a picture on one device and it beams to all of them. I could pick up my iMessage conversations when I go out, my songs/apps are automatically downloaded to all devices etc etc.

I really like android and how customisable it is though.

Plus I thought I'd finally be free of my device envy once I got an iPad and now I'm wondering about the iPhone, I'm terrible!!

10. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I don't know if you know, but you can Cloud on Android.. actually for some time now. SugarSync etc. I've always had iPhone, but just bought an SGII (smaller at&t version).

11. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I know there are solutions out there but it's not integrated like on the iOS platform. Apple manages everything so the experience is consistent.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I can't argue with the pictures in iCloud. I forgot about that, but then again that doesn't matter to me. If that is enough to sway you, I say go for the iPhone! :apple:

13. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I'm going to have a play with it and see what I think. Not making any hasty decisions.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I do agree that not all updates are necessary. The problem is, when I really need an update, but is not available from the carrier. For example, my SGS 2 came with 2.3.3, which suffers very bad battery drain (for every user). Android 2.3.5+ solved the problem, but you cannot upgrade it yet in the official way.

Why? I bought my phone from a carrier, the carrier customized the OS with bloatware. The slow update in this case is due to, not Google, not Samsung, but my carrier. I can of course load your own rom, even without rooting here. But then I lose my warranty...

15. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Apparently flashing official roms using Odin on the sgs2 doesn't void your warranty. It doesn't increase the flash counter or whatever it's called.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Not Samsung warranty. But my carrier, can refuse to help me. Then I'll have to deal with Samsung directly. The problem is they don't have local stores that I can walk into.

17. lordofthereef, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Granted. That's why I recommend a "google experience" phone :)
    As far as warranty goes, just reflash back to stock if you need to take it back. Problem solved. And by the way, most manufacturers no longer void your warranty for custom roms so long as the kernels are unaltered.

18. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Yeah good point.

That's why I buy from the carphone warehouse, all of their phones are sim and bloatware free.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have the 4S, iPad 64GB 3G and SG2.

After getting the SG2, I do not use my 4S anymore. Until Apple steps up, the Android does it better for me. I think you need to go to a store and look at just how small the iPhone screen is after using the GS2:p

20. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I agree, the screen is definitely nicer. In an ideal world (my ideal world at least), Apple gives us iPhone 5 NOW (4" screen, thinner, lighter, longer battery life, 4G/LTE, cheaper price...)

For now, I chose integration and stability. Some may disagree iOS is more stable. But in my experience on both SGS 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1", they never went longer than one week without crashing and restarting.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

At this point it sounds like you are looking for reasons to be disappointed in this thing. Has your carrier refused to help you? If so, with what?

22. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I am merely raising a concern. It is up to whoever reading it to interpret whatever way they want.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Right. I am simply asking you what your carrier is going to refuse to help you with. I've had issues with iPhones and Android devices (both times visual voicemail related). I was rooted/jailbroken in both cases and I wasn't refused help. I just don't understand what you expect your carrier is going to tell you. At worst, I would suspect they recommend you restore if you have tried a few things and nothing has yet worked.

24. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I think we are getting off topic here, as the OP was asking those who went from SGS 2 to iPhone for their experience on the iPhone. So let's just say, the whole OS update support is handled and controlled much better with iOS. The older model iPhones get the updates the same date as the current model.