Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
To be honest, the one thing that will always keep me from getting anything but a Google branded Android phone is the lack of updates. I'm not comfortable with being stuck with an older version of an OS. It's ridiculous that these carriers take so long to upgrade the devices.

IMO, the SGS2 is a fantastic phone but it doesn't make sense if it doesn't receive the latest software to take advantage of all that hardware. ICS "by March"? That's a ridiculous tentative deadline.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
To be honest, the one thing that will always keep me from getting anything but a Google branded Android phone is the lack of updates. I'm not comfortable with being stuck with an older version of an OS. It's ridiculous that these carriers take so long to upgrade the devices.

IMO, the SGS2 is a fantastic phone but it doesn't make sense if it doesn't receive the latest software to take advantage of all that hardware. ICS "by March"? That's a ridiculous tentative deadline.

The sgs2 is a massively popular device so Samsung may support it longer than the average android handset. *fingers crossed*

Where did you read by march? I've seen lots of different reports on this.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
I just like the idea that I take a picture on one device and it beams to all of them. I could pick up my iMessage conversations when I go out, my songs/apps are automatically downloaded to all devices etc etc.

I really like android and how customisable it is though.

Plus I thought I'd finally be free of my device envy once I got an iPad and now I'm wondering about the iPhone, I'm terrible!!

I know there are solutions out there but it's not integrated like on the iOS platform. Apple manages everything so the experience is consistent.
This actually is not accurate. Actually Google has deeper/better cloud integration than that of Apple. For pictures and videos Google has Google+, you can install it on your phone if you'd like (and it's native in ICS). You can have it so that when you take a picture or shoot a video that it immediately uploads it to the cloud (or you can set it to upload when you connect to wifi) and it will be available to not just Android devices, but to any internet connected device. The difference here is that, you can upload videos to the cloud and it can actually reside there, unlike icloud where your video uploads to the cloud and then is download and stored locally on the connected devices (instead of being stored in the cloud). Also Google Music has cloud storage and syncing. With Google Music, you can have the google music application on your computer and have it set to monitor certain folders (whichever you keep music in). Any time something is added to one of the folders it monitors, the music is automatically added to the cloud with no additional action ever being necessary. If you'd like, you can download the music to your phone from the cloud or just stream it. In other words, if I download a song on my computer it automatically goes to the cloud and is available on all my internet connected devices (not just android devices) Basically, with the way Google Music does it, you never have to plug your phone to a computer at all.
To sum it all up, you can make the argument that everything you want to do as far as cloud syncing on the iOS platform, you can do on the Android platform, with the difference being videos can't reside in the iCloud whereas they can in Android, and you can stream your music from the cloud to your Android device if you don't want to download it to the phone. One could make the argument that you could sell the iPad and get a galaxy tab in it's place. I personally don't think I could go from a GS2 down to the iPhone's screen. Sure it's a higher resolution, but once you're used to a decent sized screen it's hard to go back to an undersized screen, Especially if your only reason for doing that will be for a feature that you can have on the Android platform too. You really won't be gaining anything, but you will be losing and sacrificing screen.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think we are getting off topic here, as the OP was asking those who went from SGS 2 to iPhone for their experience on the iPhone. So let's just say, the whole OS update support is handled and controlled much better with iOS. The older model iPhones get the updates the same date as the current model.

I would say it's very much on topic. If there are some carriers that are going to refuse support due to modifiying the OS in any way, I would think people, the OP included, would like to know the who, why, and how. I know I sure would!

And while older phones do get updates, certain feature are omitted from older versions for what Apple claims are hardware limitations, however we know better. Nothing about siri, voice control, camera stabilization (or just about anything unique to the 4S) couldn't be done just as well on the iPhone 4 and likely the 3GS.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
This actually is not accurate. Actually Google has deeper/better cloud integration than that of Apple. For pictures and videos Google has Google+, you can install it on your phone if you'd like (and it's native in ICS). You can have it so that when you take a picture or shoot a video that it immediately uploads it to the cloud (or you can set it to upload when you connect to wifi) and it will be available to not just Android devices, but to any internet connected device. The difference here is that, you can upload videos to the cloud and it can actually reside there, unlike icloud where your video uploads to the cloud and then is download and stored locally on the connected devices (instead of being stored in the cloud). Also Google Music has cloud storage and syncing. With Google Music, you can have the google music application on your computer and have it set to monitor certain folders (whichever you keep music in). Any time something is added to one of the folders it monitors, the music is automatically added to the cloud with no additional action ever being necessary. If you'd like, you can download the music to your phone from the cloud or just stream it. In other words, if I download a song on my computer it automatically goes to the cloud and is available on all my internet connected devices (not just android devices) Basically, with the way Google Music does it, you never have to plug your phone to a computer at all.
To sum it all up, you can make the argument that everything you want to do as far as cloud syncing on the iOS platform, you can do on the Android platform, with the difference being videos can't reside in the iCloud whereas they can in Android, and you can stream your music from the cloud to your Android device if you don't want to download it to the phone. One could make the argument that you could sell the iPad and get a galaxy tab in it's place. I personally don't think I could go from a GS2 down to the iPhone's screen. Sure it's a higher resolution, but once you're used to a decent sized screen it's hard to go back to an undersized screen, Especially if your only reason for doing that will be for a feature that you can have on the Android platform too. You really won't be gaining anything, but you will be losing and sacrificing screen.

I think you are missing one thing here, those that own Macs also have integration of iCloud on both iOS and Mac. No extra software to install on either platform. That is the true beauty of iCloud.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I have the 4S, iPad 64GB 3G and SG2.

After getting the SG2, I do not use my 4S anymore. Until Apple steps up, the Android does it better for me. I think you need to go to a store and look at just how small the iPhone screen is after using the GS2:p

Same here (minus the iPad), but I also have both the 4S and GSII. I got the GSII thinking I'd go back and forth between the two, but now that I've used it for a while, I find that I never use the 4S anymore. Simply put, after having the larger screen, the 4S screen just comes across as way too small. And, frankly, I like the colors better on the GSII screen.

Now, that's not to dog the 4S. It surely is an amazing phone and I still love it, but I think when all you've had is iPhones (as was my case), when you get the opportunity to see what life is like outside the "walled garden", you quickly find that there are equally amazing experiences waiting. Sure, the GSII is bigger size-wise, and yes it uses more battery, but I've yet to not be able to make it through the day with heavy use. I've yet to root it and I'm not sure I will since I can do just about everything I want right out of the box. After living with my 3GS jailbroken for 2 years, the 4S, while nice for the first few weeks after launch day, has already started to feel boring. And there's really nothing you can do to make it feel otherwise (no customization). Yes, it just works...but so does my GSII.

Bottom line...they're both amazing phones. It's an individual choice as to which one is right for you. I won't dog either platform, as I think they're both great in their own right and both have pros and cons.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
After living with my 3GS jailbroken for 2 years, the 4S, while nice for the first few weeks after launch day, has already started to feel boring. And there's really nothing you can do to make it feel otherwise (no customization).

You're right. I think this is exhibited perfectly in the "show your home screen" thread. Everyone's home screen looks pretty much the same, except they have different wallpapers.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I would say it's very much on topic. If there are some carriers that are going to refuse support due to modifiying the OS in any way, I would think people, the OP included, would like to know the who, why, and how. I know I sure would!

You should go ask your own carrier. Tell them you are going to download some roms from some forums not related to Samsung and them. You'll then flash them using also downloaded from some unknown sources. Now, if something goes wrong with the phone, or you don't like it, would they take it back within the 30 days return period?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
No? I didn't know you can sync safari bookmarks to android. Likewise, iCal don't fully support gcal; e.g. You can't delete gcal events.

I see. I hate safari anyway. Been a firefox and chrome fan. Can sync google calendar pretty easily. I guess it depends on what you like. I suppose I could have been more specific. I am not aware of having to install any software outside of the stuff millions of people use anyway. Better? :D

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
And while older phones do get updates, certain feature are omitted from older versions for what Apple claims are hardware limitations, however we know better. Nothing about siri, voice control, camera stabilization (or just about anything unique to the 4S) couldn't be done just as well on the iPhone 4 and likely the 3GS.

I am lost here. Are you implying you would rather not get an update than getting one with some missing features?!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You should go ask your own carrier. Tell them you are going to download some roms from some forums not related to Samsung and them. You'll then flash them using also downloaded from some unknown sources. Now, if something goes wrong with the phone, or you don't like it, would they take it back within the 30 days return period?

Yes, they would. I've done it (HTC EVO on Sprint with CM7 - took it back without flinching because I was able to show the speakerphone crackled). But when talking carrier, I thought you meant specifically the carrier won't help troubleshoot carrier specific issues (voice calls, VM, texts, etc). I didn't realize you were talking about hardware or software related issues.

----------

I am lost here. Are you implying you would rather not get an update than getting one with some missing features?!

Not at all. I am stating I don;t understand why everyone claims "You get the most up to date software with Apple all the time". No, you don't really. You get the most up to date software with key items omitted on purpose all the time. Like I said, you can get all updates day one with Android too. Get a Google experience phone! Apple makes the iPhone. Google makes Android. It's only fair to compare an Apple phone to a Google phone, not an Apple phone to an HTC, Motorola, etc. etc. phone.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I see. I hate safari anyway. Been a firefox and chrome fan. Can sync google calendar pretty easily. I guess it depends on what you like. I suppose I could have been more specific. I am not aware of having to install any software outside of the stuff millions of people use anyway. Better? :D

Sure you can say you hate Macs all together, and millions use Windows! Isn't it wonderful that life is full of choices. I am glad you and others like your/their Android.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Sure you can say you hate Macs all together, and millions use Windows! Isn't it wonderful that life is full of choices. I am glad you and others like your/their Android.

What are you talking about? I am a Mac and Windows user. iOS and Android user too. I have no idea where you are going with this... There are hands down BETTER browsers than Safari. If it makes you feel better, internet explorer (up until recently) was also virtually unusable, so, if given the choice, I would have at least picked Safari over that. Why does that automatically mean I hate Macs alltogether?:confused:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Google makes Android. It's only fair to compare an Apple phone to a Google phone, not an Apple phone to an HTC, Motorola, etc. etc. phone.

I'm lost again. I thought the OP was asking about Samsung Galaxy S2 vs iPhone, was s/he not?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm lost again. I thought the OP was asking about Samsung Galaxy S2 vs iPhone, was s/he not?

He certainly was. That doesn't mean I/we can't recommend another option that the OP may not be aware of, right?

To be fair, it's hard to say with any amount of certainty that the SGS2 won't be getting timely updates. We just don't know that. As has been mentioned by someone before me, this is their flagship device that is selling way better than any other single Android device of theirs had been. I;d be willing to bet that they are going to try and save face with support on this one.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
This is what Apple means by "it just works (out of the box)".

Riggghhttt.... Like the battery "just works", and the antennae, bluetooth for many people... Siri outages (beta my a$$, they shipped the 4S and touted this feature)
home buttons breaking/falling off after 10 months... iTunes match renaming my music for some reason (even confusing items I've purchased from the store).
iMessage randomly sending messages as TXT, even when I know for a fact the other person is online...
SMS tones sounding twice.
weird behavior with music controls on the lockscreen

This is just the stuff off the top of my head. Yeah, everything "just works" :cool:

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
He certainly was. That doesn't mean I/we can't recommend another option that the OP may not be aware of, right?

To be fair, it's hard to say with any amount of certainty that the SGS2 won't be getting timely updates. We just don't know that. As has been mentioned by someone before me, this is their flagship device that is selling way better than any other single Android device of theirs had been. I;d be willing to bet that they are going to try and save face with support on this one.

Please stay on topic. Start another thread about Google Nexus, and I'll continue my conversation with there. Likewise, I'm happy to discuss the browser topic elsewhere, this is an iPhone forum.

----------

Riggghhttt.... Like the battery "just works", and the antennae, bluetooth for many people... Siri outages (beta my a$$, they shipped the 4S and touted this feature)
home buttons breaking/falling off after 10 months... iTunes match renaming my music for some reason (even confusing items I've purchased from the store).
iMessage randomly sending messages as TXT, even when I know for a fact the other person is online...
SMS tones sounding twice.
weird behavior with music controls on the lockscreen

This is just the stuff off the top of my head. Yeah, everything "just works" :cool:

Sure, you can pick any product and find something wrong with it. I never claimed the iPhone is flawless. The "it just work" comment was made on how I felt towards the iPhone, on how the main features of iCloud and iOS are integrated with Lion (all stock apps). Likewise all the backup on settings and in app data are handled natively by Apple.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Not at all. I am stating I don;t understand why everyone claims "You get the most up to date software with Apple all the time". No, you don't really. You get the most up to date software with key items omitted on purpose all the time. Like I said, you can get all updates day one with Android too. Get a Google experience phone! Apple makes the iPhone. Google makes Android. It's only fair to compare an Apple phone to a Google phone, not an Apple phone to an HTC, Motorola, etc. etc. phone.

Tell me again how many two year old Android phones are confirmed to get the ICS update? I thought so. In two years my iPhone 4S will be getting the iOS 7 update. What Android OS update will the current Android phones be getting in two years?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Please stay on topic. Start another thread about Google Nexus, and I'll continue my conversation with there. Likewise, I'm happy to discuss the browser topic elsewhere, this is an iPhone forum.

I mentioned the nexus... and then went on to say that it's pretty impossible to say that the SGS2 will not see timely updates, especially considered the sales it has enjoyed, and of course the fact that it is currently Samsung's flagship phone. If you ignore parts of a post, of course it seems off topic. The OP is trying to choose a phone. This simple mention of the Nexus (as a small portion of my post) is hardly straying off topic.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
The sgs2 is a massively popular device so Samsung may support it longer than the average android handset. *fingers crossed*

Where did you read by march? I've seen lots of different reports on this.

That's the thing with Apple ... you don't need to cross your fingers, they're there with support always. For 98% of the consumers that's important.

For those who want to tinker around with hacks then Android is better suited for them. Like a car most people don't want to screw around mod'ing and fixing it they just want it to work when they need it. iPhone wins.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Tell me again how many two year old Android phones are confirmed to get the ICS update? I thought so. In two years my iPhone 4S will be getting the iOS 7 update. What Android OS update will the current Android phones be getting in two years?

Agreed. That said ICS is a completely different beast, with an entirely redone GUI. If Google continues this, we will actually see MORE upgrades in the future due to their streamlining of the OS.

----------

That's the thing with Apple ... you don't need to cross your fingers, they're there with support always. For 98% of the consumers that's important.

You certainly do need to cross your fingers that the next cool feature introduced with the newest OS update will be added natively on your older model iPhone. I do completely agree though. The iPhone does "just work". A large part of that is not allowing the user to change a whole lot. A lot of people are ok with that, including myself, most days. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.