Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webwbr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
Wow... this thread is active today.

In the last 30 days I upgraded my old Blackberry Bold to the Samsung Galaxy 2 SKYROCKET, then to the original Samsung Galaxy 2, then to the iPhone 4s.

The skyrocket was great, but the LTE battery drain (even in an LTE market like Chicago) was just too fast for me. The SGS2 was great, but didn't play nice with my company's exchange service IT policies. But what KILLED the Android for me was the lack of a spell check for e-mail. It took me two weeks of use before I had to write a long e-mail on the android and realized that they don't have spell check! Predictive text is great and all, but before I hit send I'd like to have some assurance that a word is not misspelled.

I hated Apple for years and made the change to the iPhone 4s begrudgingly. But I must say the iPhone is very nice. While I loved the customization of the Android, the simplicity of the Apple is great (for me).

In the end, nobody will know what's best for you than you.

Good luck.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
This actually is not accurate. Actually Google has deeper/better cloud integration than that of Apple. For pictures and videos Google has Google+, you can install it on your phone if you'd like (and it's native in ICS). You can have it so that when you take a picture or shoot a video that it immediately uploads it to the cloud (or you can set it to upload when you connect to wifi) and it will be available to not just Android devices, but to any internet connected device. The difference here is that, you can upload videos to the cloud and it can actually reside there, unlike icloud where your video uploads to the cloud and then is download and stored locally on the connected devices (instead of being stored in the cloud). Also Google Music has cloud storage and syncing. With Google Music, you can have the google music application on your computer and have it set to monitor certain folders (whichever you keep music in). Any time something is added to one of the folders it monitors, the music is automatically added to the cloud with no additional action ever being necessary. If you'd like, you can download the music to your phone from the cloud or just stream it. In other words, if I download a song on my computer it automatically goes to the cloud and is available on all my internet connected devices (not just android devices) Basically, with the way Google Music does it, you never have to plug your phone to a computer at all.
To sum it all up, you can make the argument that everything you want to do as far as cloud syncing on the iOS platform, you can do on the Android platform, with the difference being videos can't reside in the iCloud whereas they can in Android, and you can stream your music from the cloud to your Android device if you don't want to download it to the phone. One could make the argument that you could sell the iPad and get a galaxy tab in it's place. I personally don't think I could go from a GS2 down to the iPhone's screen. Sure it's a higher resolution, but once you're used to a decent sized screen it's hard to go back to an undersized screen, Especially if your only reason for doing that will be for a feature that you can have on the Android platform too. You really won't be gaining anything, but you will be losing and sacrificing screen.

I prefer the iCloud method. Locally stored files means I can enjoy them without a net connection.

Also google music isn't available in the uk yet so I can't use it.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I mentioned the nexus... and then went on to say that it's pretty impossible to say that the SGS2 will not see timely updates, especially considered the sales it has enjoyed, and of course the fact that it is currently Samsung's flagship phone. If you ignore parts of a post, of course it seems off topic. The OP is trying to choose a phone. This simple mention of the Nexus (as a small portion of my post) is hardly straying off topic.

Why do I feel you are off topic? Please allow me to quote you again...

I am stating I don;t understand why everyone claims "You get the most up to date software with Apple all the time". No, you don't really. You get the most up to date software with key items omitted on purpose all the time. Like I said, you can get all updates day one with Android too. Get a Google experience phone! Apple makes the iPhone. Google makes Android. It's only fair to compare an Apple phone to a Google phone, not an Apple phone to an HTC, Motorola, etc. etc. phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I prefer the iCloud method. Locally stored files means I can enjoy them without a net connection.

I assume you are referring to internet? At the very least, you will be on a LAN connection to use iCloud. Do you frequently have your internet go down? Regardless, if you are set on iCloud, I think you have your answer. Android phones will likely never be compatible.

----------

Why do I feel you are off topic? Please allow me to quote you again...

Listen, that is ONE part of my post. People are sitting here comparing iCloud to Google's cloud, and you pick the teeny TINY part of my post to nitpick? There is no reasoning with you, good sir.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I assume you are referring to internet? At the very least, you will be on a LAN connection to use iCloud. Do you frequently have your internet go down?

iCloud pushes the music to your devices when connected to Internet after your purchase, automatically. You can enjoy them later without network connection.

----------

Listen, that is ONE part of my post. People are sitting here comparing iCloud to Google's cloud, and you pick the teeny TINY part of my post to nitpick? There is no reasoning with you, good sir.

Wrong again. You brought up the "google phone" thing on the topic of getting OS update.

Do you want me to quite the same part for the 3rd time?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Wrong again. You brought up the "google phone" thing on the topic of getting OS update.

Do you want me to quite the same part for the 3rd time?

I don't disagree that it was part of my argument, but it was far from the entirety of the argument as you claim. Why the back and forth? You insist on staying on topic, yet your crusade to try and prove how off topic I was has strayed us even further off topic. :rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I assume you are referring to internet? At the very least, you will be on a LAN connection to use iCloud. Do you frequently have your internet go down? Regardless, if you are set on iCloud, I think you have your answer. Android phones will likely never be compatible.

Yeah I mean Internet. I'm thinking more in terms of when I'm out, I.e. when there's no connection or a rubbish one. For example when travelling on the tube in London.

I'd like to have iCloud but I don't know if I'll prefer the iphone 4s enough to justify the costs :p gunna have to play with one extensively and see what I think.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah I mean Internet. I'm thinking more in terms of when I'm out, I.e. when there's no connection or a rubbish one. For example when travelling on the tube in London.

I'd like to have iCloud but I don't know if I'll prefer the iphone 4s enough to justify the costs :p gunna have to play with one extensively and see what I think.

Maybe I am just not understanding. When you are out of the house, you rely on the internet, even with iCloud.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Why the back and forth? You insist on staying on topic, yet your crusade to try and prove how off topic I was has strayed us even further off topic. :rolleyes:

Hey, you asked, I responded. I didn't know you want me to ignore your comments. Wait, am I supposed to ignore this one?

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011

Also google music isn't available in the uk yet so I can't use it.

You can store it locally from the cloud with Google's cloud solution. The thing is, you don't have to. If you want to store it locally from the cloud then you have that option. But if you prefer to not have to use the storage on your device for that, then you don't have to. It's about having options.

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
I am very unhappy with my 4s -
I was going to get a SGS2 weeks before launch, and use my 30 days to check it out -
I decided against it because I feared I would no longer be able to look at a 3.5 screen again -
So here I am, very dissapointed with the 4s -

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Maybe I am just not understanding. When you are out of the house, you rely on the internet, even with iCloud.

Yes. What I mean is, after iCloud has synced all of my content I can use it without an Internet connection. With stuff that is stored in the cloud, like on Google+, you need an Internet connection to see it unless you manually download everything.

You can store it locally from the cloud with Google's cloud solution. The thing is, you don't have to. If you want to store it locally from the cloud then you have that option. But if you prefer to not have to use the storage on your device for that, then you don't have to. It's about having options.

I don't want options, I just want my content to sync automatically between my devices without me having to do anything.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I am very unhappy with my 4s -
I was going to get a SGS2 weeks before launch, and use my 30 days to check it out -
I decided against it because I feared I would no longer be able to look at a 3.5 screen again -
So here I am, very dissapointed with the 4s -

I too hate the small screen of iPhones, except that I did ditch the iPhone and bought an SGS 2. Loved the hardware, disappointed with android. Sold the SGS and got the iPhone 4s. Still don't like the small screen but like iOS5 a lot despite of the small screen.

By the way, another thing I really like about Samsung was their ambient light sensor. It actually works to brighten and dim the screen. For ios, it will only brighten. To dim, you have to standby and wake the phone again.

----------

I don't want options, I just want my content to sync automatically between my devices without me having to do anything.

Are you sure you can't 'customize' Google to push all content automatically?

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I too hate the small screen of iPhones, except that I did ditch the iPhone and bought an SGS 2. Loved the hardware, disappointed with android. Sold the SGS and got the iPhone 4s. Still don't like the small screen but like iOS5 a lot despite of the small screen.

----------

Are you sure you can't 'customize' Google to push all content automatically?

I haven't seen an option like that on google+. Contacts, calendar and mail pushes fine. Google music isn't available here yet and I can't see a way to have photos pushed automatically.

So half of iCloud has an android equivalent but the other half doesn't :p

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
iCloud pushes the music to your devices when connected to Internet after your purchase, automatically. You can enjoy them later without network connection.
True, the best aspect of this method is the user doesn't need to know anything.

I use both an SGS II & an iP4S. I also enjoy music on my SGS offline. All I do is put the music I want on the removable memory card. What's nice is when I am connected the Android OS has a full file system so I can grab anything I have in the cloud. Music, photos, videos, reports for work, just anything all wirelessly.

I've enjoyed very good battery life. It's just like optimizing a computer for ones personal preferences. Once you learn Android, something that many iPhone users don't do, there's a lot to be enjoyed. It's not hard, no different than learning a Mac or PC.

The mistake many make is not being open minded and realizing it's different. They immediately treat it like an iPhone & when they don't get the results they give up all to soon, thereby cheating themselves from a great experience. Androids also "just work" and quite well :)

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
If money is a concern, have you consider buying a used iPhone 4? The used market price of ip4 will hold relatively constant for the next couple of months. If you don't like it, selling it after a month or two will not result in a big loss, may be $50?

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If money is a concern, have you consider buying a used iPhone 4? The used market price of ip4 will hold relatively constant for the next couple of months. If you don't like it, selling it after a month or two will not result in a big loss, may be $50?

I couldn't use an iPhone 4 after a galaxy s2. Dual core exynos processor to an a4 ..would feel like I'm crawling :p

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I couldn't use an iPhone 4 after a galaxy s2. Dual core exynos processor to an a4 ..would feel like I'm crawling :p

Well then you do have a big decision to make. Good luck.
One thing I do want to warn you, having all I-devices is great on uniformity. But it sure gets boring after a while. You are very limited if you enjoy tweaking. You probably know this already.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Well then you do have a big decision to make. Good luck.
One thing I do want to warn you, having all I-devices is great on uniformity. But it sure gets boring after a while. You are very limited if you enjoy tweaking. You probably know this already.

Yeah that's why I sold my iphone a few years ago. I had a 1st gen iPhone but sold it and got a Nokia 5800 xpressmusic.

Android is great for customising, but when I'm done customising I just want something I can use with little to no effort.

I might just stick with what I've got, that way I've got the best of both worlds.

I'll change my mind about 20 times before I finally decide on something anyway!

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Ha ha. I am like this sometimes too. Let me ask you something, if I may, does you SGS 2 crash and restart from time to time?

Unrelated topic. One thing that I found increasingly useful in my 4s is remainders, when integrated with GPS and Siri. I get reminded to do thing as I leave/arrive a place. Siri makes it so easy to set up reminders when I am driving.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Ha ha. I am like this sometimes too. Let me ask you something, if I may, does you SGS 2 crash and restart from time to time?

It does. I can count on one hand the number of times its happened since I updated the software. It did it more frequently before I updated to android 2.3.4.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I have a galaxy s2 which I love and didn't really have any problems with it until I got my iPad two days ago.

I'm now thinking it might be better to get an iPhone so that I can benefit more from iCloud and the fact I only have to buy apps once.

I'm not sure if it's worth it though, as I'd have to sell my phone for about £300 and then put £200 towards an iPhone 4S.

Has anybody ever swapped the sgs2 for an iPhone? Do you think it was worth it?

sell the iPad and buy a Tab/Transformer Prime/whatever? app syncing should not be a problem then?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Just try and get whatever you like...

I would love to get an iPhone due to it;s relatively good battery life, but if Apple expects me to connect to itunes for moving my songs, documents, media from computer instead of simple copying, and not being able to delete photo albums on the fly and similar small gripes (including that bigger 4 in screen :p), i will pass.

Ofcourse that doesn't affect the millions who buy and use iphones, so pick what you like.

I hope the tegra 3 and krait deliver good battery life for smartphones just like tablets nowadays. I am not so concerned with polish or lag anymore, because even the beta ICS on my captivate makes me think how google could finally pull off such an amazing feat. It practically got me to stop thinking about an iPhone lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.