Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your s4 screen affected by vertical line issue or uneven tint display?

• Yes

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Well, I don’t want to go out of my way to try and find an issue. Looks like it’s fine for my usage. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you use the Siri watch face/gray or use the Nike watch and use a gray tinted color. You see it. Not to mention UI elements that are largely gray. The right half of my display is much brighter than the left and is absolutely noticeable. Especially if you use the Digital Crown to show the display at night (Which I do)

It's not trying to find an issue when it's literally in your face.

Reactions: viperGTS

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
If you use the Siri watch face/gray or use the Nike watch and use a gray tinted color. You see it. Not to mention UI elements that are largely gray. The right half of my display is much brighter than the left and is absolutely noticeable. Especially if you use the Digital Crown to show the display at night (Which I do)

I use Siri watch face, and lighting is uniform left to right, so I'd say I'm not affected by screen bleed/uneven tint on Series 4.

Reactions: techno-Zen

mchlwise

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
Utah
Using the dark grey image in near pitch black, yes I see a slight unevenness. The bottom edge of my screen has some lighter patches.

The ONLY time I've ever noticed it was when I was actively looking for it.

If it becomes an issue for me at some point, I might take it up with Apple, but since I can't see it unless I'm actively trying to, I see no problem.

"For as much as you pay you should expect perfection!!!1!1" I suppose. For all intents and purposes, it's not anything I would have even noticed without the internet, so it's "perfect" as far as I'm concerned at this point. When you're an early adopter of the latest and greatest, you should understand the possibility of a few imperfections here and there as the technology matures.

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003

If it is not 'literally in my face', and I have to take several steps that I would only actually take in order to discover a problem, and never have taken otherwise, I'd say it is - quite literally - trying to find an issue.

For those experiencing this issue because their preferred settings and circumstances cause this to be visible, it is a matter of whether the result is acceptable or not. If not, Apple should be contacted. Otherwise, trying to convince everyone else that we all have faulty Apple watches when we don't seem to think so, is hardly meaningful.

jhill-evans

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2015
I’ve just picked up a new AW4 and I have the same issue with “screen bleed” or whatever it’s called all down the left side. It was immediately noticeable when I turned checked my BPM the left graph has the safe. So annoyed. What do I do?

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
I’ve just picked up a new AW4 and I have the same issue with “screen bleed” or whatever it’s called all down the left side. It was immediately noticeable when I turned checked my BPM the left graph has the safe. So annoyed. What do I do?
Ignore it because it's not an issue (Sarcasm) - Honestly, replacing it right now will likely have no effect. I'd wait a a couple of months and get a warranty replacement then.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Return it for one that is not affected would be my first move if it was an issue.

zztops

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Let's not go through the replacing the Watch 5+ times to find one that works. That's just silly imo. It's likely an initial run issue.
I'd actually feel the opposite of this, if I the consumer felt like I needed to exchange, I'd do it right away. Not all are affected, and if you keep getting something that has an issue, I some what feel like you should be obliged to return every single one until it is to your satisfaction(unless you are overly anal). The end result is the same. If it is truly defective, it will be either you returning it or someone else.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Ok I’m on the Nike version. Will try a grey face.

Edit - just tried it out and the screen seems to be uniformly lit. So no issues here.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Well, I don’t want to go out of my way to try and find an issue. Looks like it’s fine for my usage. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Slide down your notifications window. Or try turn by turn directions in maps while you're driving. Or toggle to list view for your apps. All gray. If you dont see it those places, you dont have an issue. Simple.
[doublepost=1539715612][/doublepost]Yo
Ok I’m on the Nike version. Will try a grey face.

Edit - just tried it out and the screen seems to be uniformly lit. So no issues here.
You would definitely see it on the dark gray nike face if you had the issue. Sounds like youre good to go.

mchlwise

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2015
Utah
Slide down your notifications window. Or try turn by turn directions in maps while you're driving. Or toggle to list view for your apps. All gray. If you dont see it those places, you dont have an issue. Simple.

You would definitely see it on the dark gray nike face if you had the issue. Sounds like youre good to go.

When I slide down my notifications window, there's a slight "ghost" of the watch face behind it that makes it look a little blotchy. I'm assuming that's not what you're talking about. I hope that's not what you're talking about.

Balders

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
UK
Got a second one yesterday and returned it today - with same issue. On the settings screen, there's a bright edge, almost yellow looking, down the right hand side of each of the grey buttons and a bright area top and bottom right. Also, on the grey test image, the screen is blotchy with dark patches and two vertical brighter lines one on the left, one on the right.
I've given up for now and will try again in a few months when they hopefully fix these cr*ppy screens... Back to the trusty S0 for now which has a great, even display.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Nice one thanks for confirming.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Mine doesn't...

Neither does mine. However, some are under the influence and notion that you’re ‘incorrect’ because they believe _every_ Apple Watch suffers from this issue one way or the other, but then I just come to the realization that a tech forum doesn’t make that decision, the user does.

Last edited:

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
My watch does this as well. I tested it with the wolf grey Nike+ watchscreen.
-
But this is only visible while in the „scroll up for screen turn on mode“ at the very first click. My watch only shows the blotches in a pitch black environment. At daylight (or dimmed light) it is NOT AN ISSUE. It may be different markedly with other watches, so the last sentence is my observation.

A Problem I see is that your able to dim the screen down from the initial light up brightness. I counted 3 possible steps down from the initial brightness befor the screen is off again.
This does increase the perception of „blotchiness“ of the screen.

Scott G.

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Amsterdam, NY
I checked mine after seeing the other thread here on Macrumors. I originally bought an Aluminum S4, but I ordered the Nike version from Best Buy. Before I sent the normal S4 back, I checked both for this problem. The one I was returning had that problem. The Nike one I just got, doesn't - not even a little bit. So, not every S4 had that problem, as some have said.

I will say, however, I used the normal S4 for about a week before the Nike Watch came in and never noticed anything wrong with it. It wasn't until I read that "light bleed" thread, and really looked for it in a dark environment, that I was able to see it.

cornerexit

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
Well out of curiosity i checked my 4 day old 44mm SSSB replacement and tried the Siri face in Grey. I looked it in the dark and turns the brightness right down and then up to max and saw no issues. There was an even spread of light with no light bleed so I am one of the lucky ones i guess.

I guess I'm in the same boat with you. I don't see any issues. I will try a gray watch face at night before bed to see if I see anything. I'm not worried about it. I got it yesterday and have a one year warranty. If I do find something I'll wait a few months and have it replaced. Sent off my S2 yesterday for trade in so the hell with it for now. I really like the larger screen on the S4 44mm and the larger icons. Way easier for me to see and use. I do with I could customize the hell out of the watch face but until 3rd party watch faces are supported, SOL. The S4 is a definite improvement over the previous watches. Happy with the upgrade.

Reactions: Bazooka-joe

Sandoop

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2018
That looks awful. I've been hearing reports on Reddit that good screens are out there. Might be best to wait a bit and see if the issue clears with newer models from the assembly line.

Yeah I think I can't live with it.
Currently calling Apple they'll do an exchange but I have to send them my watch first :/.
Sad about it: they can only send the replacement to the store where I did the in-store-pickup so I'd have to drive 150km again. Not going to happen - canceled completely now.

Last edited:

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Yeah I think I can't live with it.
Currently calling Apple they'll do an exchange but I have to send them my watch first :/.
Sad about it: they can only send the replacement to the store where I did the in-store-pickup so I'd have to drive 150km again. Not going to happen - canceled completely now.

Sorry to hear that :/ once you see it, it can't be unseen. And unfortunately I saw it without even looking for it... it was that obvious.

Reactions: Sandoop and Balders
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.